Thinking about radically simplifying my DAM/PP... Apple Photos

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I used to use iPhoto back in the day and hated its Byzantine file organization structure; there was not easy way back then to export to another system. That's why I went to Lightroom.

What's the exit path for Photos users these days? I ask because I'm still young enough that I might outlive it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I used to use iPhoto back in the day and hated its Byzantine file organization structure; there was not easy way back then to export to another system.

That is why, as mentioned in my post above, I have always run my iPhotos and Photos libraries as "reference" libraries so that they used my own file structure. I also don't use iPhotos/Photos as a DAM other than I import stuff, edit, add keywords, and export JPGs as needed. But if I move to another computer I simply copy my top level "Original Photos" folder from one Mac to another or to a Windows machine or to a Linux machine or to an external drive. When I move to a new Mac I simply start a new library and add new photos as I go. I don't import old stuff if I am not actively doing something with them.

Photos does have the ability to export XMP files of your photos, so technically you could move it to something else if (and this is often a big if) the other program can read in the XMP files to keep things like keywords and such with your RAW files. Of course you lose all your edits you might of done, but I find over time I either get better at editing or I change my mind about what I like and so an edit I performed 5 years ago I would (and will if touching it again) perform from scratch again anyway.

The super frustrating "Appley" thing that have done is while they give you the ability to generate an XMP files from a photo, there is no way to import that XMP to another Photo library. How stupid is that? You can not move a photo from one Photos library to another by importing the photo and its XMP file.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't really want all my current Lightroom catalogue on phone
What's the exit path for Photos users these days? I ask because I'm still young enough that I might outlive it.
Both very good points. For now I've settled on moving my folder structure from LR and C1 to an external drive. Moving forward I will be offloading the files on my sd card to the folder structure. All the while doing some pretty extreme culling (to past photo files as well)

Agree, do you need raw for some reason, especially if you “don’t like editing raw images”?
Really it depends on what I'm shooting- on my recent trip I shot a lot of landscape so I'm thankful to have the raw, but I will probably have the FN switch on my G9 toggle between raw or jpg output.

I have edited a handful of photos on Photos and I'm surprisingly pleased with the output and how much quicker/streamlined the workflow is. If its a raw or jpg doesn't matter as much anymore. I just didn't enjoy having a separate raw folder structure, jpegs in my camera roll, duplicates floating around in random folders on my computer. Then I'd look at the jpeg on my phone, not be happy, go back to the raw, re-edit, export, yada yada... Photos solves all of that

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I used to use iPhoto back in the day and hated its Byzantine file organization structure; there was not easy way back then to export to another system. That's why I went to Lightroom.

John, I use Bridge and Photoshop. While both use a common database structure, ALL edits and info such as keywords travel with the file, in whatever folder structure I choose to use. Even if I change it at some point.

All my images are stored under a single head folder "_All_Images", with subfolders for each camera body. Under these subfolders, there are subfolders by date and card name. I use Bridge for keywording.

Original camera filenames are always preserved. On upload, there is a prefix added for camera body, photographer initials and year, making every filename unique. All cameras are set to continuous numbering.

When I edit an image, a suffix is added that tells me what (gross) process was used - e.g. "_Ew" tells me which macro in Photoshop was used.

Partial and full backups are dead simple using SYNCBACK.

It all sounds more complicated than it is in practice.

Works for me.

Real Name
Angus
there was not easy way back then to export to another system.

Actually, there was. The iPhoto/Photos "file" was a folder with a bunch of files in there. If you open it in Finder, there's a folder called Originals in there, the folders were named by date they were imported (which doesn't make sense). So if you copy the Originals folder elsewhere, and then import new system into whatever structure makes sense for you/that new system.

That's why I loved Photos (and why I liked using Apple on the whole) though. I don't need to know or care about the underlying directory structure. As long as it doesn't eat my data (and Apple Photos never did) it could put them in folders with names like AngusIsAStupidTwatFace for all I care. That's why I use a DAM in the first place. To take care of all that for me.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
What a headache. Ignorance is bliss.
My 2012 MacBook Pro has never missed a beat. 500gig only half full. 😁

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom