Thinking about buying an EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jules, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jules

jules New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2010
    Hi....I'm new at this....would like to know more about the OlympusEPL1. I had an Olympus E-500 and dropped it...ouch....it's going to cost too much to fix it. I am looking at the Olympus EPL1....would like to know if it's worth it and I am from Canada....

I am heading to the states next week and wondered if I should buy it there instead or if you know of a good online store that I could get a good deal?

Thanks in advance!

Jules

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Welcome jules! I am sorry about your E-500, that sounds terrible!

We've got some really good threads in this Olympus forum about the E-PL1. I've moved your post from the E-PL1 Image Thread to create a new one here. Meanwhile take a scroll through this forum and see what you can find. You can also read the Reviews by accessing them through the Reviews tab on the upper righthand portion of the website.

Obviously, I love my E-PL1 - you see my "review" in that section I just mentioned.:biggrin:

Here is a short thread that has links to other very helpful threads all about the E-PL1: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/since-i-dont-know-much-about-e-pl-1-a-2611/ :thumbup:

I hope you'll find these helpful!

Periodically different stores offer different deals. Sometimes members post about them in the Classifieds section here. As for buying in Canada vs the USA, I really can't comment but you should definitely compare prices at various stores. Are you going to be in Manhattan? Both B & H Photo and Adorama are two very good photography stores and they have an online component, too. You can also check out Costco and Best Buy but you won't get any hands on experience there or knowledgable sales help, whereas you will at a competent camera store.

3. Jules,
    Sorry for your loss of the E-500. The E-PL1 is a great little camera and is definitely worth the price. As has been mentioned (by BBW), if you are in the vicinity of B&H or Adorama, you should check out what they can offer you. One real consideration as you move from the E-500 to the E-P's is the lack of the optical viewfinder. If you review the threads here, you'll see that the VF-2 (electronic view finder) is an accessory for your consideration(it's view is equal to my E-3 and works only on the E-PL1 or E-P2). That being said, there is a decision you may want to make before buying the E-PL1. In our case, I bought the E-PL1 for my wife, who loves the size and felt the feature set would assist her in learning the use of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. The decision to buy the E-PL1 was more of a knee jerk in that we could get it, on sale, at the local BB (box store) and that we would definitely get the VF-2 later. LATER, in our case, was within a week, at a combined cost that equaled some of the Amazon on-line sellers' prices for the E-P2 kits that included the 14-42 lens and the VF-2. It is very hard and pricey to get your hands on the VF-2 anywhere.

At this time, I have no regrets about the E-PL1, but I do think that we might of opted for the E-P2 kit instead (although that would have meant losing the convenient on-board flash -bounceable-as well as the RC flash compatibility.) The gain of the dual dials and the higher shutter speed is the flip-side for the E-P2. To be certain, the E-PL1 is fun to use and it thoroughly impresses me. Gotta say, the Art Filters are a surprise (2 more on E-P2 than the E-PL1, but not a significant reason to choose it over the E-PL1). Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll continue to be an Oly fan.

Good luck and have a nice visit to the States!

• Like Like x 2
  4. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    Thanks so much for the recommendation for Adorama Camera - very much appreciated.

BTW I'm only an email away for advice or after-sales support!

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Thank you, Helen, after-sales support is a big plus.:thumbup:

And here's a shameless plug for the "mu-43 Mall" where members can shop through our affiliates online and benefit our site a bit.:smile:

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome Helen, nice to have your experience available to us here! :friends:

Do you enjoy photography for yourself? have you tried/used any of the m4/3rds cameras? Please feel free to let your hair down and have fun here too! :smile:

Cheers

Brian

7. HelenOster

HelenOster Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    New York, NY
    I'm strictly amateur - with a Canon compact - but my daughter lives to dance and I've been thinking about taking more serious portraits of her, and my Dad recommended the Panasonic Lumix. So I may be asking for advice here myself!

Anyway, I'm here for you all whether it's regarding Adorama Camera or AdoramaPix.

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Is your dad shooting with a Lumix camera? The G1 is a fantastic deal right now - as is the E-P1 since both are end of line (which means nothing wrt quality - both are classic models)

Maybe even consider the GF1 or GH1 for the best video (thanks to the infamous firmware hack now available)

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2