Thinking about adding a 3rd system, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by battleaxe, Jun 18, 2014.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am right now contemplating adding a 3rd system, a Fuji X camera(either the M1 or A1). But, am I crazy to do so? Cash isn't that key of an issue as price is pretty fair on either X model I am looking at(at least in the used market). I can almost make a use case for adding a third camera, but then I am already kind of the odd one taking my GF3 with me almost everywhere I go. So, my question here(& I am sure it may have been asked before), but how many of you have more than 2 different systems(or 1in & larger sensor) cameras and use them, even if its once every few months?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At one time I had 9 digital camera bodies that I was actively using.

Panny LX3

Epson RD1, M8. M9 - M mount

Canon 1Dmark II, 5D - EOS mount

E-PL1, G1 - M43 mount

Pentax K10D -- K-mount

To the tell you the truth.... it was distracting.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    To me, less is more.

I loose motivation if I have too much to choose from.
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I had until recently both Nikon and M43 however once I got a G3 and its AF was good enough and IQ as good as the d90 I sold all the Nikon I just did not use it. I got enough from selling all the F mount stuff to round out my m43 lenses etc, that for my needs I have one I fancy getting. I find having too many mounts to be confusing I had Minolta Canon and Nikon at one point, it was partly by accident (gift) but I soon went down to one mount as it was really a pain in the ass. It is a lot easier to have one system and work with it accept its limitations if there are any for you, I did consider getting an M9 to go with my M3 but I have for now fought off that urge (bought a new car instead). If you are the sort of person that only uses say a 35mm equivalent or simple 2 prime kits it could be worth considering I guess.
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    what is your reasoning for wanting another system camera. Does it do something that your current one doesn't do? Is it really that important? If you just like playing with cameras....that's fine. But don't kid yourself.
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes, I have three systems, but only because I don't sell my old stuff as I changed systems. My three systems are (1) the M43 stuff, (2) a 4/3 DLSR (E300) and its two kit lenses, and (3) an APS-C Pentax DSLR (K100D) the two kit lenses and a WA zoom. The two older bodies are obsolete even in their own universes.

Next time KEH makes a call at a local camera shop, I ought to take the non M43 stuff over and get maybe $100 for the bodies and kit lenses.
  7. battleaxe

Well the reason for another system is I just am not fully bonding with my Sony A57. It's bit cold, if that makes sense. I do like it, and the features are great, as are the lenses I have; however, I am not having the fun, like I did with my G2, or with the GF3 I have now. I would sell it, but I like to shoot wildlife and the A57 is great for that and moving to another system for wildlife is a bit pricey.

I know another system won't make me a better photographer, but if I am bonding better with the other system, then I will have more fun, which will make it less like a chore and more natural, you know. Plus, if I get say a Fuji X-M/A1 I get a tilting display my GF3 lacks, and use that as my take almost everywhere camera and leave the GF3 semi-permanently in the underwater housing. I hike at least once a month so the A57 will still get used for those times. But, then a part of me thinks get the a cheap X camera now, sell the A57 to get other m4/3 and Fuji lenses, and in a few years once the price of body only X-E2, or X-T1 drops get either one for wildlife(plus a longer reach telephoto lens should be out by then).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Makes sense to me battleaxe, as each system seems to serve a purpose. And while it may seem counterintuitive, what you are talking about is probably cost-effective as well, as long as you don't have a bunch of lenses for the A57 that you'll duplicate on the X system.
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not add a Sony E mount camera instead? At least down the road you can adapt your Alpha mount lenses if you choose. Either that or look into other M43 cameras.
  10. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Follow the earlier suggestion and do not buy similar focal length lenses from different camera systems. There is otherwise a real danger of forgetting why you chose a particular system in the first place and becoming very indecisive. It's also a very expensive way to go about things. As a Pentax, Fuji, FT and MFT owner, I'd like to add that Fuji has a lot of things going for it. I'd suggest however that you choose one of its viewfinder cameras instead of either of the options you're considering at present. You will probably become dissatisfied with the X-A1 or X-M1 very quickly and that can become a pattern of behaviour if you're not careful. It's also important to realise that they have different sensors and as such, will produce varying results.
  11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    sure, if you like it and can afford it, why not! some people have multiple cars, houses, wives..... camera is the cheapest of all ..... indulge!
  12. battleaxe

Well I only have the kit lens, Minolta 35-70mm f4 macro, and Minolta 100-300mm APO D. So I guess kit lens would be duplicated, but then again the kit lens for the lower X models are wider at 24mm vs 27mm for the Sony. I only have the 14mm for the GF3, and Minolta 58mm f1.4 I adapted, though I use that less since I sold my G2.

At Johnathan, I have looked at the NEX, but the interface on the older models are not for me. The newer models have fixed, that, I am not really a fan of Sony jpeg engine, though RAW files are very good. I also want to try something different. As for another m4/3, I would love the E-M10, but prices are more than I'd like to spend, same with the E-M5. I didn't like the controls on the E-PM2, can't speak for the E-PL5, or E-P5, but I didn't really think about those cameras. But, I will have to handle them to see how I like them. When I first looked at m4/3 it was the E-P1 and E-PL1 that caught my eye, but the interface, EVF, and articulating display of the G2 that sold me.

I know the X-A1 and X-M1 have difference sensors(well different CFA), in the same body, but their used prices are exactly the same. Any reason Michael you say go for a model with EVF over the base models(which I am told have faster AF, and better display, at least vs the first two X series cameras.
  13. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Bear in mind with the older X-series cameras that Fuji has improved the autofocus and other operational quirks and shortcomings out of all recognition, with a succession of firmware updates. I bought an X-Pro1 more than a year after its first release and it was not only far cheaper by then, it was also a much better camera than the one most online reviews were describing. I don't think I've taken a single out of focus picture in all the months that I've had it. Don't rule out the X-E1, which apart from its cheaper feel, functions at least as well and has a very good electronic viewfinder. If fast focus speed is particularly important to you, I wouldn't bother with any of Fuji's cameras other than the X-T1. We're only talking about fractions of a second, so what difference does that really make?

Viewfinders will completely change the way you compose your pictures because you will become increasingly aware of what's going on inside the whole frame, instead of just your focal point and the area immediately around it. If you are satisfied with a tilting screen, fair enough. But no-one is going to convince me that the X-M1 or X-A1 is a superior camera to either the X-Pro1 or X-E1. Both the former were intended as entry-level cameras to get people to jump on the Fuj bandwagon. If you do, rest assured that the prime lenses are mostly brilliant.
  14. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm not sure that focus "speed" is the real issue with Fuji bodies, its fast enough, most of the bodies are in the .2-.5 second range, the big issue with most is C-AF, it just does not work like it does on other makes, the X-T1 seems to have mostly resolved that, but I don't think its any better than the latest M43 stuff.
  15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got 4 systems:

Pentax Q: Tiny, carry-all, rig-mount
    Nikon 1: Fast AF
    Panasonic M43: Video
    Pentax K: IQ and AF

Each at the moment has a specific role. As systems evolve, I can see myself slimming down.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. battleaxe

Doesn't the X-E2 also fix the C-AF issue, since that is also has an hybrid AF system?
  17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Depends on who you ask, but I think the consensus is still, worse than M43.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Fewer bodies, more glass.
  19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Agreed. The AF system on the Fuji, including the X-E2 and X-T1 is the main reason why I got rid of my Fuji X system and went to m43.

To the OP original question, just look at my signature to see how many "systems" I currently have. Get what you want and what you can afford and like to shoot.
  20. battleaxe

I really thinking hard about selling my Sony going X-E1 and a mf legacy lens. Had good success a setup like that on my G2, and with focus peaking I am sure it will be a little easier. Does Fuji X series cameras offer panorama?

It's interesting to see all the system people own here. Thank you for sharing. [