Thinking about FD a good choice? Anyone shooting with M4/3 and the FD 50 1.4?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Oct 17, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Hello all,

So, before converting to M4/3, I used to be a big Canon guy, and at one time had a fairly impressive FD collection...but sold most of However, I still have a few bodies and an FD 50 1.4 (and some other, lesser lenses) I figure, I could get an FD to M4/3 adapter (found one that allows infinity focus, is made of aluminum and seems to be of good quality for $50-ish), and then I could build up a small collection of FD lenses I could use with either my OM-D or with my many Canon film bodies.

Is this a good idea? Does anyone have samples of the FD 50 1.4 on M4/3? (I'm mainly looking to see how it behaves wide open)...

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You will probably get the same quality in the adapter whether you pay $50 or $10. It will likely be on the short side and will focus past infinity. Shouldn't wobble though.

The only adapter I have that wobbles was machined in California, not China. Ironic.

I have an FD 50 f1.8 and think it's a nice lens.
  3. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    When I look through my m43 library a lot of the pics that really stand out for me were shot with a FD 50 1.4. I'm on my phone now but you should be able to see some examples on my Flickr page. I like my copy stopped down to 1.8 especially, it's usually a little too soft for my taste at 1.4, even for portraits
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've done a little shooting with an FD 50mm f/1.4, and have been pretty pleased. And Canon FD lenses are relatively inexpensive, since the won't work on the EOS line of bodies.

If you buy the older breech lock style (with the silver locking ring), be sure to get an S.S.C coated lens, and not the less effective S.C. The newer "New FD" mount versions (without the silver locking ring) are probably somewhat better, but not dramatically.
  5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Ha...interesting...thanks. Do you have any links for a $10 adapter? The cheapest FD to MFT I've been able to find on ebay has been this $50 one.

Thanks, I'll definitely look at your Flickr, or if you have some that you'd like to share, I'd love to see it! :)

Thanks, yeah, the one I have is a breech-lock SCC...I just got it as a "here, this is just collecting dust" gift from a friend...I prefer the nFD non-breechlock lenses (the breech is annoying and looks silly), so that was what I had when I had my collection...but hey...the price was right on this one and thankfully it's SSC not just SC :)
  6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Be sure and get the the 300mm f4L FD!:th_salute:
  7. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    is a great lens,
    i got a cheap adaptor and the focus past infinity.
    the crop makes it kinda a 100mm, i'm right? is some kinda awkward distance at least for portraits in my experience (from naked eye to check the camera), but if you can take a couple of steps you are done. (i prefer 135mm or 85mm using film)

check this thread for images
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
  9. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    cheap adapter

I picked up a $10 adapter from ebay (win1may) for a Canon 50 1.8 that I picked up 2 months ago for $35 with an AE-1 SLR.

The combo works great on my G5. About the same length as the kit lens but slightly wider. But the quality is amazing when compared to the kit lens, much more in line with my 20 1.7. Manual focusing is surprisingly easy even with the viewfinder. Sure I'd rather have the 45 1.8 but it was $45 vs. $400.

Well worth trying if you already have the lens. Now if only I could find an 85 1.8 for $35.....
    • Like Like x 1
  10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    A word of caution.

I see you already have the Oly 45 1.8. In my opinion, you will basically find that this lens knocks the socks off your FD 50 1.4 (I used to have a FD 50 1.2). So by all means try it but dont be surprised if you are disappointed.

Obviously everyones experience differs but my FD 50 1.2 never saw the light of day after I got the 45 1.8.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    canon adapter

I've found the pins are fragile on some of the cheap ones. I got an FD adapter made in Poland that is super high quality and not hugely expensive
  12. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The nFD 50mm f/1.4 is a truly great lens. Way nicer than the Oly 45 in my mind. The Adapter Lens Sample Image forum here has many examples for you to browse.

The best adapter I've found from the best seller of adapters on eBay is here.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies!!! :) what way is the 45 superior? I'm basically just trying to adapt some cheap-ish lenses that'll have better/more bokeh than what I currently have. :D

Thanks, I think that Polish one is the one I found for around 50 bucks!
  14. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    My FDn 50mm 1.4 is really nice. I don't have the 45mm oly to compare.
    I also use an om zuiko 50mm 1.8
    It is also very nice.
    I prefer my close up flower plant/flower shots on the canon. More distant focus scenes I prefer the OM.
    But this is all subjective of course.

The fdn lenses are mostly plastic and the adaptor is smaller than Om so you end up with a lighter setup.
  15. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Here's some portraits. The first two I'm pretty sure were wide open but the color one was stopped down to 1.8. All were taken with E-PL2
    Untitled by Patrick 740, on Flickr[/IMG]

Doggy Pic I think at 1.8
    Napoleon by Patrick 740, on Flickr[/IMG]

Stopped down a bit
    Retiro Fountain by Patrick 740, on Flickr[/IMG]

And some bokeh pics probably all wide open
    Got Bokeh? by Patrick 740, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Painterly by Patrick 740, on Flickr[/IMG]
  16. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    I am not that happy with my nFD 50 1.4. The color rendering is a little cold with a purple tint. Wide open the lens is extremly soft until stopped down to f2.8. The lens is also prone to flares, but thats a common problem with legacy glass.
    However the bokeh is very pleasing.
    I have alo owned some Minolta lenses with SR-bajonett (MD/MC). The Minolta MD 50 1.7 blows the Canon FD 50 1.4 away even wide open.

I recommend to take a look onthe Minolta system. The lenses are true gems eg. the 135/2.8 is one of the best long legacy teles out there.
  17. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    There are some comparisons between fast legacy 50mm lenses here (centre and corner crops from test charts at the end of the first and start of the second page). It doesn't tell you much about bokeh, of course.
  18. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    For a $10 adapter nothing to lose. The 2 FD 1.4's I have SC and SSC versions are both outstanding IMO. I concur that the Rokkor lenses are great bang for the buck. I have a bunch and there isn't a bad one. On the other hand I'm someone who prefers a softer more vintage film quality to my shots other than hyper sharp and contrasty. YMMV.
  19. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Yes...I own this lens and it rocks.
  20. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm by no means a hoarder, but there's a reason I can't let go of that 50/1.4 lens. The Oly 45mm is a great lens, but given time to get the focus right on the FD lens, the O45 hasn't given me color/rendering such as these:

I guess that something is what people call a lens' character.