1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Think the GH4 is just for video ? Look again!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by peterpix, Feb 12, 2014.

1. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    I wonder how they're able to make the claim that the IQ is higher than APS-C?

I've always been under the impression that because of the APS-C sensor size it's always had a very slight edge in IQ. I'd love to be proved wrong though!

3. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Could it be that they mean the better quality for video?

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It should be easy to see once samples are out. I'm sure DPR will give it suitable attention.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    PDF is down but I listed this in another thread here - my reasons for being excited about the GH4 for stills:

* 1/8000 shutter speed
    * 1/250s flash x-sync speed
    * Reduced rolling shutter effect with the electronic shutter (I use this feature every single week)
    * Uses same battery, grip, and other accessories as the GH3 and retains the excellent body design
    * AF speed and functionality improvements (e.g. selectable limited focus planes, eye detection)
    * 12fps and long-life 200k rated shutter
    * Faster processing speed
    * Improved sensor & high ISO noise response
    * Focus Peaking
    * In-camera image processing - not something I'll use a lot but still a potentially useful feature

Not revolutionary so much as an evolutionary update, but it ticks a lot of boxes on my wishlist of GH3 improvements :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave

So Jay are you in for the GH4? :biggrin:

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Most likely :smile:

The electronic shutter improvements are something I'd make use of every week, and handful of my other wishlist features showed up too.

The fact that the body design is unchanged and that I can reuse my battery grip, spare batteries, L-plate, etc. is a huge plus. I really dislike having to re-purchase accessories and it'll make the transition pretty seamless.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    An interesting observation from Thom Hogan:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/panasonic-gh4-camera-introd.html

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I can't agree with much of what Thom says re stills and size. I see he hasn't reviewed any GH Panasonic camera. Maybe he hasn't had a good look through the detail improvements and what each could mean for still images, and maybe the photos make it look bigger than it is (being almost identical height and width to an E-M1).

10. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Are they comparing existing APS-C 1.5x crop sensors? Theoretically, APS-C sensors should get better IQ just because they are larger but I think the current gen m43 sensors paired with m43 lenses are definitely at or above APS-C 1.6x crops. Some of the Sony APS-C 1.5x crops are pretty good already and would be stiff competition to m43 sensors.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    No, definitely still image IQ was the topic in that part of the presentation.

That'll be a pleasant change. Did you see their review of the GX7? :dash2:

They might be talking about jpeg IQ. After all, jpeg is the camera's IQ. Raw is just the sensor's IQ.

The presentation mentions some pretty fancy image processing technologies. MNR, random filter, new aperture filter, 16-axis colour reproduction: I assume (?) none of these impact on raw output but should all improve jpegs.

[edit: if any of the filters mentioned are in front of the sensor's base, they will affect raw too. But I don't even know what they mean!]

• Like Like x 1
  12. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt

I think you may be right here, which would make a lot more sense.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :smile: I meant you can see samples of the output and compare to other cameras on DPR. I only look at their pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Yup they definitely mentioned better stills IQ - I would imagine that improvements to the IQ go far far beyond just the JPEG processing engine and straight through to the RAW files themselves too.
    43rumors had previously mentioned that many of Panasonic's design decisions (beyond the sensor itself) have been made to optimize circuitry for reduced noise and heat in video. This should also benefit stills too. Regarding the different filters, who knows! It's quite possible that such filters will improve colour accuracy... The stills that Panasonic released do look great, but they are from professional photographers and we are seeing the 'best' of their work to sell the camera. I haven't seen any RAW available yet, and more the point, it may be a while after the camera is released before we are able to see these RAW files pushed - the initial E-M1 RAW support was plain crap from Adobe.
    Just my 0.02 too, but these days a RAW file isn't necessarily always 'RAW'. Manufacturers have found clever ways to bake in things like advanced NR into the RAW files themselves.
    With the extra grunt that the Panasonic GH4 must have to push 4k video, I would not be surprised to see Panasonic taking a similar approach and baking additional info into the RAW files themselves. Personally I hope they are not going this approach - as I like my RAW files RAW, not medium rare - but I wouldn't discount it as a possibility.