Think Tank Turnstyle 5 with the OM-D E-M1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aukirk, May 30, 2014.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I have the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 and love it... but I want something smaller since it is way to big when I just want to go out with one or two extra lenses. I am thinking about getting a Turnstyle 5, but am concerned about whether it will fit the E-M1 if it is inserted lens down... I read a comment on Amazon about how it doesn't fit, but it seems that it should be plenty wide enough.

Anyone have the 5 and put the camera in face down?
  2. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Since no one commented, I figured I would talk to myself... got the Turnstyle 5 today from Amazon and it is SMALL... very small. Almost awkwardly small for a big guy. Also, the depth (or would it be width) of the bag really is not designed to hold the EM-1 lens down. It closes, but only if you really get the camera deep down in there (which requires either spreading the dividers far apart so that they don't keep the body toward the top. I am going to be returning this bag... may try the 10, but think it may be too close in size to my 20.
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    i'm not sure size wise how the EM1 relates to the EM5 with the HLD6 grip, but I have the latter configuration in the turnstyle 5 at all times. I keep the 17/1.8 on it and have it in the bag with the bottom of the camera facing toward the bottom of the bag. If I have a bigger lens on the camera, I remove the grip and place it in the bag on its side. I know this is something that you cannot do with the EM1 or may not be able to do.

It is a smaller bag and may not be 100% configurable to your need.
  4. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    I have the Turnstyle 5 and this is what I can fit in it, compartmentalised into 4 compartments.

- EM-5 with either 17mm, 45mm or Samyang 7.5mm attached. I have the first part of the HLD6 attached but not the bit with the extra battery. This is not face down, but more sideaways with the lens facing sideways in the bag. This provides space for my strap which is quite bulky (Barton 1972). I MAY be able to squeeze with the full grip attached, I have not tried this yet.
    - whichever of the above lenses are not attached, at either end of the bag. I have added an extra separator from another camera bag to achieve this.
    - Olympus 75-300 (there is no way to fit this in with the camera attached). This sits in the middle next to the camera.
    - the bottom part of the grip in the rear cover
    - Kindle in the kindle bit
    - Spare batteries and whatnot at the front.

It's a tight squeeze but it works fine.
  5. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Think Tank makes great bags. I have two mirrorless movers, the 10 and the 30. The 10 wouldn't work for you at all, so let me talk about the 30. I shoot with the Panasonic G3, and the 30 will hold that body with any of my lens attached, plus three lens in the bag. Steve Huff has a video on Youtube showing the bag and what you can fit into it. No, it isn't small, and I was worried when I first bought it (I had thought I was looking at the Think Tank Mirrorless mover 20) and gave some thought about taking it back, but ended up keeping it and I am glad that I did. I use this bag along with the belt that holds it to my body and well at the neck strap and that way the weight of the equipment doesn't feel bad at all. I can and have walked around with this gear for hours and not had a problem. I carry in my bag the camera with one lens attached, 14mm, 20mm 25mm 45mm and charger as well as extra batteries and memory cards and there is still room for more. Think Tank has a divider that they say is great for holding your cell phone, but I don't want to open my bag to get my phone, so I use it to store discharged batteries.
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I just bought the MM10; it fits fine with the E-M1 & 12-40mm lens-down, hood reversed, and I can even squeeze the 17mm 1.8 with hood in the bottom (in a cloth pouch).
    The 9mm BCL should fit in a side pocket, and batteries in the front pocket.

The only problem is I'll have to take my Joby sling off if I want to zip it up all the way.

7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Another vote for the 30i, especially if you want to carry a tablet. Fits E-M1 with any of my lenses mounted in the center section, and a large lens or stack of lenses (using back-to-back rear caps) in the side pockets. If you're not carrying a tablet, the TT Hubba Hubba Hiney is about the same width and depth but less height.
  8. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Ihave the turnstile 20 and use it with my OMD E-M5 and E-PM2. The OMD has the Oly grip on it; both sections. That about fills the bag with the kit zoom attached.
    I use this as my bug-out bag. Ihave a Letterman Wave and toolkit. And the supplements I might need daily. So I can pick it up and go.
    Regret? Buying the E-M5 in the first place.
    Before purchasing, I contemplated getting rid of my DSLR kit. D300s/grip, 18-200 VR, 70-300VR. ( I don't carry some other Nikkor lenses that I have left from by-gone days.)
    However, the way I am using the Oly I get about 1/5th the number of keepers I get with the d300s (when I am photographing moving subjects.)
    So if anything goes it will be the Oly OMD.
    I am not considering upgrading that camera body.
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Setting the record straight. I was looking for small bag and suitable for when biking. The TurnStyle5 came up and then I saw a post on Amazon and the OP in this thread, and just could not comprehend. So I went to Georges Camera here in San Diego today and spent some time there.

I put a 12-40 f/1.8 mounted to an EM-1 with a RSS BOEM1 plate into the bag without a problem. The camera was placed in lens first (to bottom of bag) with the LCD facing the top (as you open the bag). I probably could have mounted a Panasonic 35-100mm lens and got it to fit as well.

I did had move the dividers, but then that why they have Velcro! There is not enough room in the TurnStyle5 to put a FL-50R or 50-200mm standing up.

I put in a FL-600R standing at the large end (just fit), the EM1/12-40mm in the middle with enough room to fit a 35-100mm at the smaller end. And then you could place some odds and ends.

So the Turnstyle5 would be a great small bag (and it does look small !!) for almost all m4/3s gear expect the largest lenses and flash.
  10. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I've got a Turnstyle 10 and I find it a great size. You can fit the E-M1, 12-40mm and usually 2-3 extra lenses
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I picked up the TurnStyle 10 and it is great. The other day I had a 50-200mm, m4/3 adapter, E-M1 with BOEM plate attached, a 75mm, and a FL-600R along with several camera batteries, a dozen AA batteries and some more stuff in the bag. The bag only weighs in at 1lb! And 've found it surprisingly comfortable.
  12. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    +1 plus a 8" Tablet. I carry a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 in mine.
  13. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    If only they had made it a liitttllee bigger so the iPad Air would fit! Can't have everything I guess!
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    FWIW, I just bought a Turnstyle 5 and it will take: (1) My GX7 and 14-140mm and 100-300mm, with either one mounted on the camera. (2) It will also take the GX7 with a 9-18mm or 14-140mm mounted, the other one loose, and the 100-300mm loose. So basically if I have the 100-300mm mounted I lose the ability to carry two other lenses; I can carry just one. I think the key to the TS5 for me is the low profile of the GX7 -- the main reason that I bought it.

The front pocket of the TS5 will take very little when I have the bag loaded as described. A couple of batteries, one or more lens caps, etc. Probably not a charger.
    • Informative Informative x 1