1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Think Tank Turnstyle 20 Sling

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 2mnycars, Dec 28, 2013.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Bought one.

But I have strange gear.
    I want to carry my OMD with 12-50 and 50-110?. And my Nikon 1V1 with normal zoom and tele zoom.

Long story. Boring. But that's what I want to carry sometimes. With my iPad. And sometimes a Samsung tablet.
    This sling does it easily. No changes; partitions exactly like it came from the store. Equipment is easy to reach, easy to grab and quick to shoot.

I work in construction 1/2 the time. I was taking my OMD there. Frankly it costs too much to do that. So I bought the N1V1 when they were blowing them out the door. It's not worth what they charged for them when they came out; it is worth what I paid for it...less than a Canon G15 at the time. With 2 lenses.

But the OMD works so much better (except I don't speak Oly yet. And when something goes wrong, it goes terribly wrong.) That's why I have the N1V1. I used pro Nikon equipment in my business for years and years, until I closed it.

Quick summary? It's light. It carries my gear. It works for me. And it's so easy to work out of, I shall easily get more photos.

DaveL

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    My other gear? Countless photo bags. Nikon D300S with grip; 18-200 VR for walkabout; 70-300VR for when I need a long lens; 50/1.4; 24-120

The Oly has an Oly grip. The N1V1 has a stick-on grip. Richard Franiec IIRC>

(Past--too many F2's and F3's with motor drives; pro glass. That's why my posture is so bad now. ;) ) Weddings/Portraits/Sports Photography for years and years, part time though.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I love Think Tank stuff. I have a Retrospective 5 in Pinestone as my main bag (like almost everyone else I have a ton of different bags, lol) for my Fuji gear and I love it. I used to use it with my micro four thirds stuff -- that's when I got it.

Not carrying a backpack full of Nikon gear any more makes me very happy, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'm thinking about a Turnstyle 10.
    But if it's on my back I guess a 20 doesn't add too much weight and adds a bit more carry room. Hmmm.
    Loved the V1 btw.

• Like Like x 1
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm pretty much sold on them based on the pictures and reviews I've seen - but I'm still waiting for them to ship to the shops in my country because I want to see them in person first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    This TTTurnstyle 10 is my main bag now. I took it on a 4 week trip to Europe and it was perfect for my E-M5 camera, 2 xtra lenses, small flash, spare batteries and misc accessories, plus 8" tablet. I only wish it had a place to attach a small tripod. It was great in visiting museums and venues where others had to check their backpacks at the door. It was also very comfortable wearing across the chest all day on long walks.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 2
  7. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I understand. I am the same way. Plus--Canadian pricing is terrible. However this was reduced in price, to the U.S. Price. So I accepted the challenge and bought. It's a great bag.
    It even passed the dufus (sp?) test. I picked up by the strap at the end. It was unzipped. All the gear inside---2 camera bodies, 4 lenses, stayed inside, even though it was vertical and the zipper was wide open.
    Other bags would have opened wide and spit the contents out.
    My fault.
    The bag is great.
    Glad I bought it.
    DaveL

• Like Like x 1
  8. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I really hate debating about bags... but I guess it is a diversion against GAS.

I am trying to decide whether to pick up a Turnstyle 20 or 10 as a sling bag... also been looking at the Lowepro Transit Sling 250, since it seems to have a bit more room for "other stuff" that kids may want me to carry.

Can anyone shed any light on how the internal compartment of the Turnstyle 10 vs 20 compares with the Restrospective 5 vs 7 vs 10? It seems that I will need the Turnstyle 20 to hold what I can fit in my Retro 7.

Another thought I keep having is whether I will even use this bag. I have the Retro 5 and 7 for daily use (depending on how much I want to take with me). I also have a backpack I take when I need to carry family related stuff. I was thinking the Turnstyle would be good for more active day trips (ie biking or going to an amusement park), but the downside is that it doesn't have a place to hold a waterbottle or even an attachment for a bottle holder (like the Retros). Most of the times I think I would use the Turnstyle sling, I am thinking I will want a place for a water bottle and may be better just going with the backpack.

Decisions, decisions....

9. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I would estimate the Turnstyle 10 has about the same capacity as the Retro 5, maybe a little more due to the flexibility of the fabric. It can easily hold my E-M1 with attached 12-40mm, 2-4 addl lenses or 2 lenses plus FL600 flash, misc accessories and 8" tablet. Plenty of room for all and my camera goes in and out easily even with the bag fully loaded. It is not a substitute for a backpack tho, no place for a water bottle, tripod, jacket etc. I took mine on a 4 week trip to Europe and it was great for city walking, museums, touring etc. I usually carried sunglasses, energy bar, chap stick in addition to 2 extra lenses and the small Oly flash daily. A very comfortable bag and no hassles carrying it into galleries and museums. Suggest you try it and see if it works for you. PS. I sold my Retro 5 bag after returning home from my travels.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    aukirk, I have the LowePro Urban Sling 250 as well. I thought it would be great. However, it doesn't pass the doufus (sp?) test. When the bag is open, standing up, if it falls over all the gear at the top falls out. It works well if I have it properly hung on my side, or back. My fault.
    I have no experience with the Transit Sling 250.
    I carry strange gear. Two systems. OMD and Nikon 1V1. The LowePro bag doesn't carry the second set of gear well. It's tucked down in the bag, making it more likely I'll leave the bag open and set it down, causing the problem I talked about.
    Dave

ps the 20 is the only TT bank of this series that will carry an iPad. In fact I can carry my iPad and Samsung 8 tablet too.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I just tried the Turnstyle 10 and 20. Man, these are ugly little guys, but what great bags! I can fit just about any combination I'd ever take out for a day of shooting in the 10 and it's extremely comfortable. I can literally carry my ENTIRE kit in the 20, which is great for transport when traveling, and then just use it with a smaller walk around kit day to day, leaving other stuff where ever I'm staying. The 20 isn't quite as comfortable as the 10 to carry - the 10 just seems to be about the perfect size and weight location for me, but it's still quite nice. When I say it can hold my entire kit, I'm talking about:

RX1
    Nikon Coolpix A
    EM1
    GX7
    12-40
    35-100
    7-14
    75-300
    17 (f1.8)

This is with the 7-14 mounted on the GX7 and the 12-40 on the EM1. If I took the lenses off and stacked everything, I could fit that much more for transport.

Realistically the largest kit I'd ever walk around with at any given time would be the two m43 bodies with the 12-40, 7-14, and 35-100 and the Nikon A along for street shooting. That fits tightly but adequately in the 10 and is just swimming around in the 20. So the 10 is a nicer carry for me, but the 20 is incredibly great for transport when I want to take a lot of stuff. Not sure which I'll keep, but I might sell off a few other bags and keep both. I'm a bag junkie so I always have a few I could sell... I'm really impressed with the utility of these bags. Much more comfortable to carry than anything else I've tried for a given weight, incredibly handy to get gear in and out of and holds a LOT in a seemingly small bag. But they'll never win any fashion awards...

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  12. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    Pics appreciated if you get a chance - the 10 felt really tiny to me and the 20 barely adequate for EM-1, 12-40, 45, 75 and X100s. I have tons of extra TT dividers so it's still tempting, but looking for an alternate travel option to my current TT City Walker 10 (modified, hate the huge bulky insert it comes with)

13. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    Here are some pictures of the Turnstile 10 usavedet. 9ututagy. umabu4es. eramu2e8.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I got the LowePro Transit Sling 250 and after taking it out of the box, I immediately knew it was going back and I ordered the ThinkTank TurnStyle 20.

The LowePro Transit Sling is fugly and it really only allows you to easily access the side pocket fitting only the camera. To get to the lenses stored in the rest of the bag, you need to take it off and completely unzip the front. No benefit over a backpack.

The TurnStyle 20 came yesterday and I am really impressed. The biggest disappointment is that it didn't come with a bunch of extra dividers like the retro bags did. It only comes with two, so I had to take some from other bags to give the configuration I wanted.

It is very comfortable and can be worn as a sling on the left shoulder or put over the right shoulder sort of like using one strap of a backpack.

I am combining the bag with my Capture Pro clip and I think it is going to work really well.. This is a keeper.

The biggest downside of the bag is the lack of a water bottle holder. However, I think I may have a solution. The bottom if the bag has a flap that is designed to convert it to a fanny pack. I think if I take a stich ripper to the middle seam on that strap I can attach a water bottle holder to the bottom of the bag. We will see.

15. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    You are right about the bottle holder. I have been carrying my TS20 to work. I would like to have water with me too.

16. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    My TS20 fits me better now. Traded my Nikon 1V1 with 3 lenses for an Olympus E-PM2. I have been carrying the little Nikon system with my OMD and that's been awkward. Now I have a spare body/battery as back up.

Two systems, not 3. (The other is my D300s with grip and several lenses.)

Simplifying my life.

Dave

17. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    After using the ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 for several weeks, I found a solution to the water bottle problem. There is a flap that is on the bottom of the bag, which I believe is designed for when you want to move the strap to make it a fannie pack (which I will never do). I took a stitch ripper to the middle stitch, making a place to hook a bottle holder onto. Works well... the bottle does "flap" around a bit, but it works

• Like Like x 1
  18. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    How do the TT Turnstyle bags compare to the Lowe Pro Slingshot 102 AW and 202 AW, which are also sling style bags?

19. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Duncan can't help you. I have too many bags already. Trying to stay out of photo stores. ( ;) )

This sling meets my needs. I had another sling--LowePro something. It wouldn't pass my dufus (sp?) test. Opened but loaded it launched my camera when I set the bag down. Not a happy moment.

The TT bag (I am the original poster) has passed this test well. I have the largest one. I can set it down loaded but open, and it stays put. I can carry it open and everything stays within (I hadn't noticed it was open.) Don't do this at home.

The TT bag has two slots for tablets. One on the outside. One on the inside.

And it keeps my gear secure. Good bag.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Anyone try out a TT Sling-o-matic??