Think Tank Photo products

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by chip, Jan 31, 2012.

1. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Besides the great Retrospective 5, is anybody using any of Think Tank Photo's other products? I'm particularly curious if people have experience with the following:

Urban Disguise 50 v2.0
    Airport Antidote v2.0
    Airport AirStream Rolling Camera Bag

I've maxed out my R5 and I'm looking for something to hold/carry everything in my sig. and a 15" MacBook Pro.

2. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I have a UD50v1 and LOVE IT! I thought about selling it for a smaller bag, but I will probably just hold on to it use it to carry everything (body, lenses, speedlights, remotes, triggers & laptop!).

ThinkTank build quality is way better than anything else I've used, I was floored by how sturdy the bag felt; I remember thinking my Crumplers felt well made; the ThinkTank puts Crumpler & Lowepro to shame.
  3. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    I know I am going to sound like a fanboy but Retrospective 5 is like the perfect m4/3 bag I have used to date, after going through so many other bags from the respective brands.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have a Retrospective20. I absolutely love it, I use it as a second carry-on bag when I travel, it's the perfect size to fit a plane seat. It is extremely well made and very versatile. I will definitely buy from them again.
  5. bridgemix

bridgemix Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    Does an iPad fit in the 5, or do I need 10/20?
  6. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    It won't fit in the 5. But it'll fit the 10 with maybe a bit of it sticking out from the front or rear pocket.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My iPad 1 fits comfortably in the front pocket of my 10, even in a thin sleeve. It.s a very tight fit in the back pocket horizontally and won't fit in a sleeve. It does fit in the rear pocket vertically but then it sticks up out of the pocket.
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have a Retrospective 10 that I bought before there was a 5. Its too big for MY m43 kit or any other kit I'd want to carry around all day. I used it for a while but it was just too much bag for me. Now I have a 5 and its not my favorite configuration in a bag, but its a really nice bag, very well made, lots of good options.

I'll sell the 10 if anyone wants a bigger bag - I'm sure we can work out a price...

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    As Shakespeare said, "Ay, there's the rub". The 5 isn't wide and high enough to let you carry an iPad along with your camera gear. The 10 is wide and high enough to let you carry the iPad but too big for a small camera kit.

I've seen a YouTube video of a guy fitting an iPad into a 5 by creating an internal rear pocket with a large padded insert covered in material that the velcro strips of the ThinkTank dividers will grip to. I think that's a good solution in many ways and if ThinkTank would bring out a divider that size as an accessory for the 5 and 10 I think they'd find a ready market.

My problem is that I want to be able to carry some other stuff along with the iPad and camera kit. I normally carry a "man bag" a small Tom Bihn shoulder bag, with my iPad and I can fit my E-P3 in there with 17mm lens and VF2 attached in a small Crumpler Haven insert along with pens, some papers, and my iPod but I can't fit the E-P3 in with any other lens and carrying the E-P3 takes up the space I used to have to carry a book or toss in some shopping.

The 10 is large enough to do all that but, as Ray says about the 5, "it's not my favourite configuration". A divider as high and wide as the main pocket that I could use to create a shallow rear internal pocket as described above would be nice. That would let me use the front pocket for a book or other things and while the bag wouldn't be quite as small as I'd like, it would certainly do what I want quite well and I could live with the front to back depth which I find a bit too much (width and height of the 10 are fine for me).

What I, and I suspect others, would probably prefer is a Retrospect 7.5—a bag as high and wide as the 10 but with a thin internal pocket for a laptop, a main area with the front to back depth and fittings of the 5 for camera gear, and with the organiser and front pocket retained, basically a shallower 10 with the addition of a very shallow internal pocket for an iPad or small laptop. That would be close to ideal for me.

Now if anyone has contacts in ThinkTank and can pass that idea on…
  10. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I don't have an iPad - yet, so that's not my issue. So my Retrospective 5 is just fine for when I go out for the day, etc. However, I'm looking for a one-bag/case solution to handle my 15" MacBook Pro and entire kit if I'm traveling for a few days. My OP is what I narrowed my search down to, and I'm just curious if anyone has tried these with their kit and a 15" laptop.
  11. Andrew Riddell

Andrew Riddell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2010
    I use the Retrospective 5 for 'normal' MFT use. I also have the Urban Disguise 30 and 40, which I bought while I was using FT gear. I find the UD40 too big for MFT use (I don't have an I-Pad!), but the UD30, although bigger than generally needed, has MFT advantages over the R5:

1. If you're carrying gear in a less secure area (think of the tourist areas of Rome or Barcelona), two-way zips are comforting (rather than relying on velcro).

2. It has a sleeve which fits over a suitcase handle.

3. It has room for maps & guide books as well as the photo kit.

4. It will take an MFT camera with adaptor and Oly 50-200 or 70-300 mounted.

5. The outside end pockets take a water bottle!

This is just my take based on what I do. Yours may differ. The one thing we'll probably agree on is the sheer quality of Think Tank kit!