Think I have sorted the G9 BIF settings

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have to say IF I had know how good the G9 really as a all round camera including BIF and DFIF (Dragonfly in Flight:)) I would have gotten one much sooner. Next on my camera list is two very fast cards (my 128 Gig card 1000 Lexar is just not as fast, if you have a camera like this its a shame (although expensive) not to put the best cards in it).

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Regarding cards, does using the fastest SD cards improve the snappiness of switching to playback to review your shots? I find it’s a bit laggy atm but if it card speed improves this significantly I’m more than happy to plonk some money down.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Regarding cards, does using the fastest SD cards improve the snappiness of switching to playback to review your shots? I find it’s a bit laggy atm but if it card speed improves this significantly I’m more than happy to plonk some money down.
Never used slow cards but its not what i call quick with fast cards.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Never used slow cards but its not what i call quick with fast cards.
Thank you. I’m only using Sandisk extreme 90mb/s cards that I got free with various bundles and cos I’m mostly shooting single shots rather than high fps, I never thought to get high speed cards. It just got me thinking whether that lag switching to playback was due to the card but it seems not.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you. I’m only using Sandisk extreme 90mb/s cards that I got free with various bundles and cos I’m mostly shooting single shots rather than high fps, I never thought to get high speed cards. It just got me thinking whether that lag switching to playback was due to the card but it seems not.
I believe I have one sandisk 90mb/s (gold label) and a couple 95mb/s cards (black label) and the 90mb/s card is extremely slow and laggy. Give the 95mb/s or faster variants a shot if you have the chance.

Are you guys leaving full ibis/is on? I'm about to try some bif this saturday (midafternoon *crÿ* but I take what I can get). I know my lens is not the best bif lens (100-300 mk I) but my hope is to improve on my last outing where I forgot all my memory cards at home.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I believe I have one sandisk 90mb/s (gold label) and a couple 95mb/s cards (black label) and the 90mb/s card is extremely slow and laggy. Give the 95mb/s or faster variants a shot if you have the chance.
Thanks for the report. I’ll try to get my hands on some faster SD cards to try.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the report. I’ll try to get my hands on some faster SD cards to try.
The figures printed on the cards are very rubbery. If you take note, they say "up to" such and such MB/sec. Class 10 is 10MB/sec minimum write speed. U1 is 10MB/sec, U3 is 30MB/sec.
To get a proper idea of speed, test them. Absolutely identical cards can read and write at different speeds. I bought 3 identical cards, 2 are basically the same in read/write speed, the other quite different. As you can see below. I use that free app h2testw. My G9 loves the Samsung EVO+ cards. Much snappier switch on & image review than the same class SanDisk extreme

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
The figures printed on the cards are very rubbery. If you take note, they say "up to" such and such MB/sec. Class 10 is 10MB/sec minimum write speed. U1 is 10MB/sec, U3 is 30MB/sec.
To get a proper idea of speed, test them. Absolutely identical cards can read and write at different speeds. I bought 3 identical cards, 2 are basically the same in read/write speed, the other quite different. As you can see below. I use that free app h2testw. My G9 loves the Samsung EVO+ cards. Much snappier switch on & image review than the same class SanDisk extreme

View attachment 748024

View attachment 748025
Thanks. I came across this site when doing a bit of research:
Best Memory Cards Panasonic G9 | A Speed Comparison - Alik Griffin
Seems like an excellent resource so I might try to get some Sony G SD cards since it appears to work very well with the G9.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Do you have any more thoughts between the G85 & G9 yet?
Funny you should ask that, i decided i had used the G9 long enough to get the hang of it so took the G80 out today, first impressions are ime going to use it for a couple of weeks so i can get back into the timing of it, my gut feeling is the G80 could be better.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Not wanting to side track this thread too much but I did manage to pick up a Sony G 32GB SD card after work yesterday and after a quick test, the new card works significantly faster. Switch to playback is just a tad shy of ‘instantaneous’.
As a comparison my old Sandisk Extreme 90mb/s (gold label) takes approximately 1 full second to switch to playback.
Probably don’t need to go to the more expensive SD cards to get the jump in performance as others have shared but it does appear the G9 can take advantage of the faster cards quite significantly.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not wanting to side track this thread too much but I did manage to pick up a Sony G 32GB SD card after work yesterday and after a quick test, the new card works significantly faster. Switch to playback is just a tad shy of ‘instantaneous’.
As a comparison my old Sandisk Extreme 90mb/s (gold label) takes approximately 1 full second to switch to playback.
Probably don’t need to go to the more expensive SD cards to get the jump in performance as others have shared but it does appear the G9 can take advantage of the faster cards quite significantly.
One thing I just discovered, accidentally, is don't delete files off the card in your computer/SD card reader. This will slow the switch on/review time considerably. If you're going to delete files, do it in the camera. I reformatted the card in camera, after figuring out what I did wrong, & it's back to its normal, snappy self.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One thing I just discovered, accidentally, is don't delete files off the card in your computer/SD card reader. This will slow the switch on/review time considerably. If you're going to delete files, do it in the camera. I reformatted the card in camera, after figuring out what I did wrong, & it's back to its normal, snappy self.
I made a similar error a little while ago. I processed a file in snap seed and saved it on the SD card. When I put it back in the camera it would not read properly. Probably ruined the file allocation table or something.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
D71k Summary:
AFC
Shutter priority w/ 2000 sec shutter speed and above
AF Custom Setting (photo) Set 4 - press menu and set AF Sensitivity +2
AF Area Switching Sensitivity +1
Moving Object Prediction +2

PanaMike Summary:
Prediction = 0 <having tried others>
AFC
Shutter priority with exposure compensation on the front dial and multi metering
May go to manual and spot metering, less of a need for exposure compensation
Auto ISO; tops out at 6400
Low frame rate 2 FPS (learn to slow down and focus more on each image more like SAF) Now trying MED ??
AF points in the custom mode A four block in the center - 2 over 2
LVF refresh rate 120 fps
AF custom setting sensitivity +2, switching sensitivity 0 and moving object prediction 0
Shutter speed between 1/2000 and 1/4000

** only real difference is moving object prediction, right?

Last edited:

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
D71k Summary:
AFC
Shutter priority w/ 2000 sec shutter speed and above
AF Custom Setting (photo) Set 4 - press menu and set AF Sensitivity +2
AF Area Switching Sensitivity +1
Moving Object Prediction +2

PanaMike Summary:
Prediction = 0 <having tried others>
AFC
Shutter priority with exposure compensation on the front dial and multi metering
May go to manual and spot metering, less of a need for exposure compensation
Auto ISO; tops out at 6400
Low frame rate 2 FPS (learn to slow down and focus more on each image more like SAF) Now trying MED ??
AF points in the custom mode A four block in the center - 2 over 2
LVF refresh rate 120 fps
AF custom setting sensitivity +2, switching sensitivity 0 and moving object prediction 0
Shutter speed between 1/2000 and 1/4000

** only real difference is moving object prediction, right?
Just moved over to the smallest center focusing box, not tried it yet.

Top Bottom