1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Think before you buy an accessory for the EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by qbkami, Nov 19, 2013.

1. qbkami

qbkami New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2013
    Australia
    Quang Bui
    Hi guys,
    I've bought a Em-1 a couple of weeks ago and loving it. I also bought a reversing ring for the 12-40mm (62mm reversing ring).
    I found out there is a problem when you place the reversing ring on the lens you arnt able to fit it on the camera cause the top hits the EVF.
    If your in my situation there are two ways to solve the problem (their might be more which I am unaware of):
    - Chisel down what looks like extra material which I very highly recommend NOT to do
    - Get extension tubes ( extra money to fork out + make sure the tube can fit on the body without the problem )

Another person that has experienced the problem is this guy (using metabones speed booster)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHrwyFU-KlM
    He identifies that the adapter fits on the EM-5 but doesn't on the EM-1 due to the exact same issue. So I am assuming my problem would not
    be apparent if I had the EM-5.

So something to take away from this post is that people that have the EM-1's check what can actually fit on your body before you buy it.
    I know it is my fault for not checking the body design in the first place but through this post I just wanted to warn people that are planning
    on buying accessories for the EM-1 not to make the same mistake that I have.

Cheers,
    Quang

• Like Like x 3
  2. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    You'll have the same problem with the lensbaby tilt transformer. I do think that you could fix the lensbaby by filing off some material from the tilt transformer.

3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The tilt transformer doesn't even fit on the EM-5 so it would be even worse on the EM-1. The "material" that would need to be removed is metal and integral to the design. It would be a very ugly hack.

4. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Perhaps it would not be aesthetically pleasing but if you know how to use a file it shouldn't be that visible. Besides it's not like it would be effect the function of the tilt transformer.

5. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I resigned myself to only use my tilt transformer on my e-pl1, for this reason. It's not really a huge deal for me, since I don't like using the transformer hand-held, so I'm probably on a tripod where I can shoot at <= ISO 800, where the e-pl1 output doesn't look THAT much different to me from my e-m5. And if I decide to sell the tilt tranformer, I don't have to explain that I've been after it with a metal file. Also it gives me a good reason to get out the e-pl1.

Having said that, it looks like you could file it down carefully, and it wouldn't adversely affect the function of the adapter.

6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Another factor in my willingness to take a file to it is that I got it for 140.

7. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Quang:

Thank you VERY much for this information.

Marc

8. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
    I'm sure this is an issue limited to products from manufacturers that don't pay into the 4/3 consortium, which has specs for the standard, including clearances, mount boring sizes, electrical contacts, etc. Companies that hack their own 4/3 accessories can only design them based on:
    1. camera models that are out
    2. camera models they have for testing.

So if they began design or production prior to the EM-5/EM-1, they probably didn't account for that mm or two that those EFVs take up. But I'm sure this is all written in the spec.

So.. the first step to "Think before" is to check and see if the manufacturer that makes your accessory is here: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/contact/group.html