1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Things You Wish You Would...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Groover, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    ...have known before you opened the box on your new camera. Best practices for managing photos, taking great stills, shooting video, sharing photos, must have accessories, avoiding stupid mistakes, etc.

I have my new GH2 and lenses sitting at home waiting on me and can't wait to get started. I am excited to relearn photography and learn to make good video.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    - Pay attention to horizons - wonky stuff is bad.
    - Pay attention to exposure - blown highlights are bad. Learn to use 'Exposure comp' and 'AEL'.
    - Pay attention to whats in the frame - distracting stuff in the corners is, well, distracting.
    - Ignore everything people write on the internet about gear, for at least 6 months - learn to use the stuff you have (it's more capable than you know).
    - Ask questions (good start :smile:) and browse the net for photos and styles you like - learn!
    - Get familiar with editing software but don't overdo it - a bad photo will remain a bad photo but a great photo can become fantastic. Editing is not cheating but can look terrible when misused.
    - TAKE PHOTOS! - and pay attention to what happens when you do.

• Like Like x 4
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pick one thing and shoot it for 100 days (like say, um, I don't know, a Spork) learn how to now see a thing and know what is the best way to photograph it. Extrapolate to similar objects. Pick a totally different object and repeat another 100 days.

Then learn how not to use flash.

Whatever, shoot every hour of every day.

When you can see the picture before raising the camera you are there. Now begin.

• Like Like x 2
  4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    agreed with everything you said except this one ... it has to be in the right context for this statement to be true ... in my opinion, of course.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Agree, except the thing about the flash. It is a tool, and I've been one of those who listened initially to the "flash not good" mantra. Good thing I've convinced myself otherwise, because flash is good when used at the right time. That's not to say I use it all the time - just learn the right time to bring it out. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Naturally, all 'guidelines' can be broken if you know your stuff... However, I think that for a beginner learning the ropes, it's definitely something I'd try and stick to (going purely off some of my friends on FB and the pics they post :eek:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    If you ever find yourself surrounded by photographers, you are in the wrong spot.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    :)

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Including on this forum?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    I'm not worried about the paparazzi just bad photos.

11. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012

12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Read books Like Understanding Exposure,3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books or join the book club https://www.mu-43.com/f35/mu-43-boo...tographer-step-one-passion-main-thread-32361/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wish I had known at the very beginning to keep all my RAW files. For the first few years I processed my RAWs to JPEG and then dumped the RAW files :doh:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    Just to be clear, I agree with the exposure bit. But saying blown highlights are bad is almost the same as saying using flas is bad :)

I would venture to say that framing is one thing that lots of people struggle with, including me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just go out to shoot and experiment.

IGNORE any and all distractions from the enjoyment. This includes equipment worries, G.A.S, and most importantly, what others shoot with.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Best advice. :smile:

I got caught up with buying gear early on, but my pictures didn't improve (okay, maybe marginally). Bond with your gear, use them and enjoy them. You have something technologically better than all the great photographers of old. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tripod, remote shutter release, Adobe Lightroom :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobWatson

I'm old school. One must suffer to learn and appreciate the moment. Masochism is a strength in this respect - enjoy the suffering and you'll do fine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RobWatson

I'm with you on flash. I mean't there is a time and place - how pathetic to see all those flashes going off from the upper decks.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Groover

Groover Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    So how do you manage your photos? Import Raw to computer, process in Lightroom and then save by date? Do you store on multiple hard drives? Disks? What is your favorite way to share with friends? What's the fastest way to get a raw file to an I phone? Is there such thing as a micro USB to iphone cord? an app for immediately converting raw without having to take a jpeg? Grandma needs instant gratification. :). Sorry, a bit more detailed than initial post...

Thanks again everyone..great stuff!