Things That Fly ...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Mar 2, 2016.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Things that get overlooked, in the garden or field and on the computer. There are so many images of encounters that are never seen but once.

• Winner Winner x 35
    • Like Like x 24
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Mark, I always enjoy your macro photos. Someday I may end up with some work as good as yours. You and Piggsy inspire me.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Peter Campbell
    Somehow you've managed to kick it up to an even higher level. Simply amazing. Congrats.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks Peter.

Thanks Graham. It's not that difficult but does take practise, of the right stuff with the right setup. For my take on the process, almost complete, see my second sig link below.
  5. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Brilliant work and I enjoyed your macro "tutorial". Thanks for sharing your thoughts and technique
  6. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks Mike.
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Such diffuse light - I'm guessing you use flash but how do you get the backgrounds not looking black?
  8. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    It's called dragging the shutter. Just lower the SS to allow some ambient, like here - Luna ... - background is 50m away, grey sky through trees. It's one place a short working distance works well, at 2 - 8" I can hold the creatures platform and rest lens tip on same hand/arm for stability - one moves with the other - less chance of movement blur. My flash setup is 1/5th the way down my second sig link page below, and explained there.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Mark these are simply stunning, especially the first shot, theres so much detail there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Mark, your photos are stunning, gorgeous, hard to find words really. Very inspiring - I (and I am sure others) want to try and take macro shots. Please share info on your equipment, post pictures of how you setup to take these photos, etc. I took a look at your website, but its essential one big page and so it takes a long time for all the photos to load. Looking at your website, it seems that your equipment and techniques have evolved and improved over the years. It would be helpful if you could discuss what you are currently using/doing to get these amazing shots. Thanks!
  11. quickeye

quickeye Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Really excellent photos, thanks for sharing!
  12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

what is this one? Posture looks like one of the Australian native bees (like a blue banded bee but not that)

I only think of it being that because of the way its clasping by its mandibles ... I assume its "sleeping"

Beautiful work ... as always
  13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Superb stuff - as always! :bowdown:
  14. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Great pictures - but I'm so glad I don't live where you live. Some scary looking beasties there.
  15. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
  16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure I've ever seen higher quality macros.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I posted a set of something very similar a while ago on flickr and someone told me it was likely a cuckoo bee called Coelioxys albolineata. The shot is even more impressive when you realise how small they actually are - the ones I find around are usually only roughly between long legged fly and small hoverfly sized and if you're only at 1:1 you don't get a particularly close up looking shot.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  19. alainwong

alainwong Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2012
    Really amazing work, Mark. Wow! Good job.
  20. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    great selection of shots - thanks for sharing