Things learnt from 23 years of amateur photography

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I agree on most points here and it seems that most people seem to be the same way, this thread once again shows that we are all different in the finer points.

For example, I while I can imagine that getting your settings right before the shot is useful in some cases and probably always was during the film days, I don't think it's quite so clear cut anymore. So I've never seen the appeal of the G9 LCD display, while others think it's a huge asset.

Similarly I agree with the OP that getting into beautiful locations is worth a lot and I largely don't see the appeal of photographing the mundane. I've seen exceptionally few photos of mundane stuff that I found inspiring. My general measure for high quality photos is: "Would I put it on my wall". If it isn't than it isn't up to my very best, even if it is a good photo. As such, the posted examples don't do anything for me, but if they do for you, than by all means go for it.

Also, whatever the reason for resurrecting this post from the graveyard of forum posts was, I missed it originally and I think it deserved to see the light again. There was also some meaningful discussion about photography that wasn't just gear related, so I don't think any harm was done. I've definitely seen worse cases of thread necromancy...

What I've learned after 45 + years of photography is that, after 23 years, there is still room to learn. There is always room to learn.

In my case (as amateur, pro and semi-pro) I've learned to think more about my subject and the light and less about my gear.

These forums often remind me of tennis players I used to know. The worst players were those who talked the most about their equipment.

Photography is about light. Not your most recent or next purchase.
While you are entertaining and provide a lot of LOLOLOLOL I really do wish you would just away

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
For example, I while I can imagine that getting your settings right before the shot is useful in some cases and probably always was during the film days, I don't think it's quite so clear cut anymore. So I've never seen the appeal of the G9 LCD display, while others think it's a huge asset.
That is a fair and reasonable point - getting your settings right early was far more important in film days than it is now. With much better automatic settings and the like, as well as higher ISOs, image stabilization and other features, it is less critical (or clear cut) than it was in the past.
It's certainly possible to leave in a default program setting and get acceptable results in circumstances that would have been unlikely or impossible in the past. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I use program and other auto-modes quite a bit of the time.
I still find it useful to do so, though, and when I get results that I'm not happy with, it's often because I didn't. So I still put it in the 'things I've learnt' category - even if a lot of people could get by without it.

Real Name
Henrik
The P mode stands for Pro, right? ;)

Edit: to clarify, absolutely no harm meant. My humble beginnings started out in the Pro mode, but I have leveled up to A/S mode. Still not ready for the endboss - M mode.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
A word of caution if you guys don't mind. These letters mean different things for M43 and FF. Only the letters A, S, P, and M are the same. The actual description depends on the camera format in use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom