1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Thicker" Sandisk SD cards?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Replytoken, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I shoot almost exclusively with Sandisk SD (and previously CF) cards and have had good luck with the dozen or so of them that I own. Very recently I made a purchase of two cards from B&H and a then card from Costco, and all seemed to not want to eject out of not only my E-M1, but my E-M-5's and D610 as well. These cards were tightest in the E-M1, and initially I had to pinch them out with my fingernails as they just did not want to eject at all. I first thought it may have been my E-M1 as it had just returned from a warranty repair, and that was why I tried the other bodes as well. After a few insertions, the card slid a bit more, but still felt like it was just a tad "fatter" than my older stock. The cards are Extreme Pro 64GB (x2) and Extreme Plus 32GB. I have several of the latter that I purchased last year and have no issues with them. Is anybody else having any issues with recently purchased Sandisk cards? I could understand just one series possibly coming from a less than perfect batch, but having it happen with two series makes me wonder if they changed the casing just a bit or are getting sloppy in their tolerances. Any thoughts?

--Ken

2. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Should I take silence to mean that others who have very recently bought cards have not had any problems?

--Ken

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The last one I got was microSD with an adapter.

I'd call Sandisk.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    It's not only SanDisk, got another two Brands stuck in Olympus tg300 camera. The problem seems to be only 64gb cards. 32gb goes in tight, but extracting is much easier.

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I just called. They were moderately helpful in that they offered to replace the cards. They did not seem that interest, however, to know if there may have been a production issue, but what can one expect these days from customer support? I'll try them a bit more as they are sticking a bit less knowing they can be replaced if they do not fully get better with use.

--Ken

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The initial party line I was told when I called is that there is an industry standard and that manufacturers cannot deviate from it, as if I did not know that. The rep was a bit more quiet when I had suggested that perhaps there was a production tolerance issue. Glad to hear that I am not the only one.

--Ken

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fwiw, I have not noticed any problem with my 3 64gb Samsung cards purchased over 1 year ago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I do not have any issues with my 32GB cards that I purchased a few months ago or a few years ago. It was only these three cards.

--Ken

9. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    could measuring callipers help?
    If you have some callipers (even the el-cheapo ones) that have a digital read out, you maybe could establish if the offending cards are indeed fatter and out of spec?
    just an idea...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That would probably answer some questions, but I don't have any and am hoping they might get a bit smoother with some use. The only real issue I have is if they do not spring back whne ejected. I can live with a tight fit, but when I need to change cards, I cannot have issues as it means I may be missing shots.

--Ken

11. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    OK
    Then this begs the question? how often do you remove cards from your camera?
    I mean: it takes a lot of images/footage to fill a 64G card, at least in my situations, before I have to slip a new one in (l have done once or twice on an expedition)
    Of course, things are different if you remove the card to download your pix to a computer, but for that I much prefer to use a cable attached to the USB port on the camera: faster and less damage prone?

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My work flow is to use a card reader and remove my cards from the camera. There are pros and cons to each method of offloading images, but I have always removed cards, and with the size of files and cards today, a USB 3.0 card reader speeds things up from USB 2.0. so in answer to your question, I do remove them a bit. But, I have noticed that they have been giving me a bit less trouble in the shoots I had on Thursday and today.

--Ken