1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

They stole it in Amsterdam..I need a new compact camera....

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Vidar, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    My girlfriend is in Amsterdam for the weekend on a girl trip. She brought my trusted Canon Ixus 75, my "second" camera after my E-P1. Now I regret lending it to her, it got stolen from her in a restaurant:frown:

This is a camera that have survived Kilimanjaro (although it closed down at 5700m), Mt. Toubkal and several of Norways mountains...

Have not really been following the new compact camera releases.. Any ideas for what cameras I should be considering? It needs to be compact and not too expensive as it will be a backup camera for my Pen and a camera my girlfriend can use (I wont lend her the Pen:biggrin:)

Thanks for any input!

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The LX5 is great but not inexpensive. It is the the "Girlfriend Camera".
    Maybe grab a nice used Canon G9. Now thats a great backup camera.
    Shooter

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Vidar, I am very sorry for this but I am glad it wasn't your beloved E-P1.:eek:

You might want to take a look at the "across the hall site" (Serious Compacts - Amin Sabet's other site) where quite a lot of discussions are going on about seriously great compact cameras.

I just bought myself a Panasonic LX5 and find it to be quite something! (Don was a big influence on me, I have to be frank.:wink:) Take a look over there since it does specifically deal with that segment of the camera world. Amin's posted reviews on quite a few with technical testing, there are members who write their own personal views on a variety of smaller compact cameras from the Canon S97, to the NEX, Sigma's, Samsungs and more.

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I would skip the lx5 it is almost the price of an epl-1, if you do need low light, something like the canon s90. It has come down in price with the release of the s95. The s90 has the same size sensor as the lx5

Now if you want longer zoom, and low light is not that important, with a 7x zoom, something like the panny zr1 or zr3 are nice and not to expensive. Or the canon sd980. Then there are the travel zoom compacts with 10x to 12x of reach, like the panny zs5 and zs7, canon sx210, sony hx5v. All are pretty good zooms and good image quality for a compact with smaller sensors.

5. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    The LX5 looks sweet, but canĀ“t afford it (spent my money on the Panasoinic 20 1.7 lens:biggrin:, must have some money for food too), the G9 sounds like a good idea..

Yeah I am glad for it too:smile: I even bought a black leatherete for the dear thing on e-bay, it looks better than ever:wink:

Will definitely check out Amins site, looks good!

Thanks shoturtle, will google your tips!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hards80

Hards80 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    for something not too expensive, and a nice cam to lend the girlfriend. and being used to canon, as others have mentioned the s90 is a great cam, and since its been replaced, you may be able to find a cheap used/refurbished unit.

another good choice would be the sd4000, not quite as good in low light as the s90, but better than most of the higher mp cams. decent zoom, hd vid, compact, etc. and its decently priced.

• Like Like x 2
  7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you want a fast frame to frame rate, and a good travel zoom also, the casio fh100 was really nice. My wife and I went looking at travel zooms at lunch. It a nice little camera also.

• Like Like x 1
  8. astonandy

astonandy New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2010
    We have the near indestructible Panasonic Lumix FT-1- great pictures, very rugged and water proof and easy to use menus. Not as good as our LX-3 but my wife throws it in a handbag and snaps away quite happily not worrying that it'll get scratched or damaged at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    extra cam

We have 2 Fuji F10 camera's and both my wife and youngest son have used them pretty much. Some months ago I found an F31 and she is even more happy with that. Our shop around the corner sold it for 60 euro, a bargain.
    Look for something like that: extreme battery life, enough (6) mp, good lens at wide (a bit less good zoomed in) and great high iso and fill in flash.

10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    You will when she's your wife! :eek: :rofl:

Sorry to hear this bad news, I hope you soon find a suitable replacement at a decent price. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    John,
    You mean, she'll lend it to him....:rofl:

12. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I'm considering a second camera too, but for me, it's not so much a backup but an alternate to what my e-p1 can do. So... I'm looking at the olympus tough 8010. I know everyone says the image quality is sub-par... but for me, I'm looking for a camera I can use when I can't use my e-p1, i.e. in the water, severe cold, smacked against rocks and just as importantly crushed (seems like most others like the panasonic ts2/ft2 and pentax w90 aren't very crush proof... although I may have to re-evaluate how important crush is since the other 2 are allegedy so much better...)

If I'm buying 2 cameras, I want to make sure I can expand my usage to twice the situations (as much as possible). Kind of like buying lenses, the 17mm and 20mm were too close in functionality for me, I'd rather have a 17mm and a 150mm lens.

P.S. If anyone else on here has any of the recent olympus 6000/8000 series cameras I'd love to hear your thoughts on just how poor the image quality really is on those.

13. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

The Samsung EX1/TL500 is a great camera with it's f1.8 - f2.4 lens. Very good value for money and built like a tank.

Sorry you lost your camera.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The photos on the tough is a little behind the sony tx5 or the panny ts2. But it is the toughest and most shock proof camera out there. I have seen someone crash on a motorcycle with it and skidded on his back side with the 8000 in his back pocket. It got all scratch up. But it keep firing away. He still has it. And still shots without a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Hey, I have the tough 8000, and it has become my 'go anywhere' backup. The pictures it takes are sharp enough, but they all seem undersaturated imho. If you like more natural colors, it might be ok. FWIW, I never really notices it while I was living in Europe, it might just be that shots here in Indonesia demand more saturated colors, and there's always LR for that.

This camera can definitely take a beating, though. It has been dropped, submerged, beaten, etc. and never complained about it. The only real problem I've had with it is that, on auto, it doesn't let you change the flash settings. I've had lots of shots taken on the long end come out underexposed because it tries to fire the flash to compensate for low light.

Apart from the saturation and the flash, it's a good little camera. The images it takes have always been good, but never really 'wow'. That's why I moved up to the pen, and moved the tough to the backup/hazardous conditions camera.

hth

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks for info and help!

I think I will go for a new Canon S90 (not a bad price), or maybe a used G9 (think I can get it quite cheap) if I can find one!

17. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    BTW here is one of the last pictures I took with my poor stolen Ixus 75:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidargrov/5108480746/" title="Old Man In the Rain, Atlas Mountains. by VidarFoto, on Flickr"> 5108480746_ec55dc01de. "500" height="375" alt="Old Man In the Rain, Atlas Mountains." /></a>

• Like Like x 1
  18. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    here's a link to some of the most recent shots i have uploaded from my tough 8000. They're mostly just snaps, but there are a couple of good shots. You'll be able to see what I mean about the under-saturated colors. It wouldn't be that hard to punch them up a bit in pp, but I never seem to get around to pp my p&s shots.

edit: fixed link

• Like Like x 1