Thermoelectric cooling box - update

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Mar 29, 2016.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi guys,

So I experimented last night by taking the screen off the camera in order to expose the sensor a bit better and I got a much much better result.

The ambient temperature last night was 46F and the ambient temperature inside the box dropped to 23F and the dark frames were taken at 24F according to the exif file. I have attached two dark frames, one at 70F and one at 24F to see the difference. The camera settings used were 3 minutes at ISO 800.

The problem that I encountered is that after connecting the screen back to the camera body, the screen does turn on but the knobs that control the camera settings are not working and also the hot shoe is not working so I cannot frame using the EVF-4.

Since I already have the camera opened and most likely I will have to send it in for repair, at this point I am considering attaching a cold finger behind the sensor with a peltier (cold finger) instead of using the cooling and then send it in and hopefully is not too costly.

Cheers! Noise at 70F. Noise at 24F.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    That looks like a good result to me, maybe a stop or so improvement over stock?
  3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks. Yes, I think it is a very good result...there is barely any noise in the frame taken at 24F. I am not sure how many stops over stock but much better in my opinion.

Now I just have to figure out how to fix my screen again! :)

4. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    This is a real improvement. Applying dark frames and BIAS to your images will end up in great result...

This is a really exciting project you have here...
  5. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Neat project. Couple questions. The cooled image appears to show banding noise that was not visible in the uncooled image. Is that real or does applying NR on the uncooled image also show banding?

FWIW, I posted a long exposure noise comparison of the E-PL2 & E-M5 here: OMD Long Exposure Noise Solution
    So far, the E-M5 has the least LEN of the m43 cameras I've been able to test.

6. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    I agree...definitely a real improvement but I was only able to achieve it by removing the screen, otherwise the screen acts as a barrier and the sensor doesn't drop in temperature nearly as much.

7. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014

I am not sure if the cooled dark frame shows banding or not...however, even if it does it does not appear to be an issue in the final image.

I have not tried applying NR to any of the dark frames, but I can try and post them to see the difference. I will try that within the next couple of days...maybe doing one at room temperature and another with the peltier on (cooled).

I saw your comparison...really good!

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    you know its funny. I lived in Finland when I first got my Panasonic G1 and always thought that the photographs were exceptionally low noise. Over time I came to wonder if the fact that my camera was frequently at -10C or lower during exposures made much difference.

I'm going to test this out when I go back next winter!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1