There's nothing like

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Mar 11, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    having a new lens, and NO camera to put it on. I'm returning my P1 today and have to await my dealers arrival of his first PL1's. I'm not a patient man either which doesn't help :frown: I just took deliver of the Panasonic 45-200 OIS lens. That thing is built like a top line Nikkor or Canon L lens. Solid and heavy and precise. Can't wait to slap that bad boy on the front end of a new E-PL1. This is going to give me more gray hairs for sure. :tongue:

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Oh, agony... how long do you think you'll have to wait?

Cheers

Brian

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Tell ya what...as a favor, send the lens to me and I'll send you photos that I make with it.....No charge.....

• Like Like x 3
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Good for you, supporting a local dealer. When I lived in Baltimore, I had a great local camera store and bought my stuff there because the customer service was so good. I haven't found that yet where I live now, so that $3.99 overnight shipping from Amazon (Prime) looks pretty good to me.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I feel for you dcisive, but do credit you with supporting a local, independent dealer. I would love to do that as long as the cost difference wasn't substantial.

Best wishes on a fast waiting time, dcsive!

Just ignore that fellow Streetshooter's offer, though I'm sure he'd treat that lens very well.:wink:

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As someone said a while ago, times are a-changing... I got my camera at a local dealer, with a very substantial rebate that put him waaaayyy below the best web offer I had seen so far(*), but what's more, every brick & mortar shop I toured was at least on par with national web merchants (not counting grey market imports), give or take 10~20€. I don't think the difference is outrageous when you get the possibility to handle the thing in person, feeling the weight and balance, and even be able to go a few steps outside to shoot a couple of pics the counter clerk will be more than happy to show you on his screen. Put the added warranty you know the dealer and can go back if something goes wrong in the basket, and I think you've got a fair deal in the end.

I can't vouch for other countries or towns, not even for other parts of this one, and I may be lucky to live at a stone's throw away from "the photography boulevard" of Paris, but I hope this combative stance from traditional business keeps on, because I much prefer dealing face to face when it comes to photography. Cameras are technical jewels, would you buy your wedding ring on the 'net without putting it on first in a real shop ? Don't think so.

Cheers,
    Mauve

(*) This dealer is turning into an all-Ricoh shop and was clearing the shelves.

7. BBW

mauve, I couldn't agree with you more. I much prefer to go that route whenever at all possible.

8. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

you know what they say... "good things come to those who wait" :wink:

hope it comes soon,

Vince

9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well, I stopped by there tonight to drop off my other camera. He tells me there is a small chance it may show up tomorrow, but it's a small chance. It will most likely show up Monday. The other thing is black is backordered indefinitely and silver is a few weeks away. He is getting 2 BLUE models in. So it looks like I'm going to get a blue one. Can't wait to fire up that Panny 45-200OIS. That thing is a real beauty. Built like Canon L/Nikon N models are, Tight, heavy and precision made. The focus ring on that is like butter. :whoo::whoo:

10. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm somewhat on a similar situation, and I've both cases:

1. I've a lens here without a mount (C-mount lens)
    2. I've an adapter here and no lens for it yet (M-mount adapter)

But tomorrow, that M-mount adapter will finally get its fix of CV!

11. sebastel

sebastel Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2010
    not your business
    sorry to say so, but it's your own fault. why do you return the other camera?
    no, i do not feel sorry for you.

;-)

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Come on now, let's be nice:friends:

13. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well, if you want to know the truth I'll tell you why I returned the P1. It loves light. This means as soon as the light goes low the noise comes up. I am well spoiled. I've been using a Nikon D700 for a year and a half, yeah the high ISO king. I'm used to taking shots at ISO1600 which have NO noise in a print whatsoever. I'm seeing shots at ISO200 taken with the P1 with shadow noise. To me that is just NOT something I can live with. From all the test shots I've seen taken with the PL1 I feel comfortable to say I can see at least a full stop of improvement in ISO noise. I need that to be happy with what tool I'm using. Also I found the flash to be a necessity. For some it's not, for me it IS. I wanted to return the other cam as it made no sense to just hang on to it. Oh well. Such is life and the decisions we make. Some folks are fussier than others. Count me on the fussy side. I don't like sensor noise, poor color rendition, chromatic aberration, poor corner sharpness in lenses and front or back focusing. OK.....so I'm spoiled :tongue: my D700 has NONE of the above. I expect my travel cam to get as close as possible to that ideal :dance3::dance3:

14. BBW

I hear you and that's just one of the reasons I'm so interested in seeing a series of photos and an involved review of this camera. I hope when you've had it for a good amount of time that you will give us your feedback, dcisive.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No chance of that, at least not in RAW. The E-P1 and E-PL1 use the same sensor. All current MFT cameras besides the GH1 give up roughly two stops of signal/noise compared to your D700. The GH1 fares better but has a tendency towards banding.

I'm pretty sure that controlled testing from the RAW files will show very little difference between E-P1 and E-PL1 image quality. The latter has a slightly weaker low pass filter and therefore will generally need less sharpening, which will have a slightly beneficial effect on the noise profile since sharpening accentuates noise. Otherwise, they ought to do about the same.

• Like Like x 1