There Will Be an E-P3 Successor?!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrKal_El, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    This is VERY interesting.

1. I like this, since I loved my E-P3
    2. Will there still be an E-M3? (Lower end OM-D) since the price difference couldn't be that great...
    3. I'm assuming no O-MD IBIS BUT integrated EVF.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Source: Olympus: There will be an E-P3 successor. | 43 Rumors
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That looks like a guy who knows the E-P5 is going to rock but can't spill the beans yet :).
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Man, that black 12mm f/2 looks super nice! I wish they would make all the silver lenses black and make the silver limited editions!
  4. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    God I hope so. Want a RF styled E-P5 with built in VF so so bad. I have half ruled out the Fuji X-E1 after seeing a vid which showed unacceptably long EVF freeze IMHO, such a shame as it kills it stone dead for me. Olympus seems to get it how to design a really great useful EVF system better than anyone else so please get this camera into my grubby mits double sharp, lol.
  5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Anything with an integrated EVF and a rangefinder-style body, and I am soooo there. With the EPL and EPM being really quite capable now, as long as you don't want full manual control without using the touchscreen, I think they're going to have to do something like that to differentiate it.
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Awesome news!

I know we have had a bunch of threads speculating on product differentiation between a potential E-P5 and the OM-D. You have the EVF, 5-axis IBIS and weather sealing as the key OM-D features. I could see where you could slot a product, the E-P5, in between the E-PL5 ($649 body USD) and OM-D ($999), if it just had the built in EVF.... something like $849 (of course, hope it would be cheaper!)

I do really like the size of the E-P2/3 body. I wonder if they could incorporate a built-in EVF without increasing the overall size too much (would be nice to still have the built-in flash too)? Maybe if they had a smaller, fixed, 4:3 screen?

It totally does sound like he has something pretty awesome back in the lab. :2thumbs:
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Good to hear! I love my E-P3 but would trade the built-in flash for a built-in EVF with clip-on flash.
  8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    For me, a built-in flash is a rather important feature: I often use it for fill-in purposes, or for taking more casual snapshots, where it would be exceptionally awkward to have to attach a flash to the hotshoe (and also not be able to use the VF2). That was one reason that I chose the E-P3 over the E-PL3 last year, and one reason that I am not impressed by the E-PL5.
  9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Sony have shown it's possible with the NEX-7, which has a very small body. Indeed, you only need to look at old rangefinders from the 70s to know it is possible. My Olympus 35rc is smaller than my GF1, yet it's a full frame camera with a decent viewfinder. You could easily put a good EVF into this sort of body shape, it just means Olympus wouldn't be able to sell an expensive add-on anymore.

I don't care about the flash, built in flashes are next to useless for me, except perhaps for some fill flash usage. The FL-36r I have is so small I might as well take it with me if I think I might need it.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The only downside being that the rear screen gets squeezed down to fit the EVF, probably even more so than the wide and low screens on the E-PM1 and E-PL3. At the full 4:3 resolution they show an image with a diagonal of only 2.4" despite still technically being a 3" screen.
  11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Totally acceptable imo. More and more of us are reviewing our shots on a laptop, or even better on a desktop with a calibrated display, as long as the LCD is functional I'm not that bothered how big, bright or even colour accurate it is. If you are a big fan of touch control, could be a big miss. Never spent much time with a touchscreen camera myself, so I wouldn't know what I was missing.
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am very glad to hear that there will be a camera between the new E-PL5 and the E-M5. It is too big a space{both features and price} to just leave open. I am very eager to see what Olympus comes up with!

My prediction is that it will have some sort of integrated EVF and the 5 axis stabilizer. Without those two features it will not be any better than the E-PL5. What it will lack that the E-M5 has is the weather sealing, the add-on grip{SLR style at least} and the wonderful manual controls{dual dials}.
  13. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    I have an E-PL2 and wish Olympus would work on a quieter shutter while they are at it. My Nikon D7000 is quieter than the E-PL2.
  14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I don't really need the built in flash, I rarely use the one on my E-P3. I wouldn't mind an EVF, though I don't need one of those, either. I would like the new sensor and it would be great if the IBIS was better (doesn't have to be 5-axis, just more effective). A tilt screen for low level/waist high shots would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I like the control layout of the E-P1-3 series with the wheel and dial. That is one thing I would not want to see changed, changing that would be a deal breaker for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    They have gotten much better...esp E-M5.
  16. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there is an e-P5. The pen style and the hump style can easily co-exist because they all use the same lenses.
  17. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

This is very good news! I've been shooting a film RF lately and pondering where I'm going to go with my digital setup.
  18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    How about a 'pop-up EVF' where the flash on the EP3 used to be. It could pop-up whenever you turned on the camera and down when you switched it off.
  19. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    Yup. I refer to my post when the new EPL/EPMs were announced, here.

And for however great it's going to be, I'm still just going to get an EP3. :cool:
  20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting idea! Would make it more compact when storing. Why not make it pop up when needed just like the flash!