There should be a in camera feature to disable the manual focus clutch in oly lenses...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hazwing, Dec 11, 2013.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    With olympus bringing out more lenses with the manual focus clutch mechanism (e.g. 12mm, 17mm, 12-40mm), I feel there should be an in camera option to disable the use of this mechanism. There's been a couple times I've handed my EM5 + 17mm to someone else to use, and they've accidentally engaged the manual focus mechanism and have then proceeded to take blurry out of focus photos.

I've also noticed a few people post who were befuddle with their lens and wonder why it only manual focuses (because the manual focus ring is engaged). Perhaps it should be something that is disabled by default?

I'm not complaining about the mechanism, I like how it feels when using it... but I think there should be an option to disable it.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wonder how many lenses get returned or sent in for service because the clutch is engaged...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    They should have it more obviously mentioned on the packaging somehow.
  4. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd like it if there was a lock on the barrel. On my 17, the clutch is a little to easy to engage and disengage.
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think there are actually 2 problems here and I think your issue is actually the lesser problem.

For me, the big problem is that the camera's information display does not accurately indicate focus status when you manually engage manual focus by moving the lens clutch. The info display still shows auto focus, and it also does not distinguish between manual focus set on the lens and manual focus set via the camera. I think the primary problem to be fixed is the accuracy of the focus indicator in the display. That still won't stop us taking blurred photos because the camera is in manual focus but you can also do that on lenses without the clutch if you don't pay attention to the info display, just as you can take photos in A priority when you want S priority (one of my common mistakes since I normally shoot in A priority). The photographer needs to be aware of what settings are engaged but the camera should accurately report which settings are engaged and currently it doesn't do that when manual focus is engaged using the lens clutch.

Providing a mechanism for either the camera to lock out use of the clutch is going to require a lens revision since there's no provision in the lens for such a setting to be activated and also in camera because there's no menu setting and that may not be possible via firmware update.Locking the clutch on the lens barrel itself would require a lens revision because there's no mechanism currently in the lens to do that. Neither approach would help with current lenses. There may be a way for the camera to sense whether or not the clutch on the lens is set to manual and if there is, then there may be a way to get the display to show an accurate indication of the focus setting by firmware update. I'd settle for that because that would at least work with current lenses and bodies whereas any other fix is going to require new lenses and probably new bodies as well in order to work.
    • Like Like x 2