thegamesarena on ebay

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by golftango, Aug 6, 2014.

1. golftango

golftango Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    Has anyone had any dealings with the eBay seller 'thegamesarena" ? Their feedback looks pretty good. I'm just wondering.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, but their E-M5 package deals look really good!

3. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    My E-M1 came from them. No issues. It was as good a transaction as any from eBay. The item was brand new and appeared that way. Apparently if I had held out I could have saved $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Was it a U.S. model, and did you register it with Olympus for the warranty?

I just bought oo74's used E-M1 on this forum, the one with the battle scar from a drop. But I was seriously considering getting one of thegamesarena's new ones once they dropped the price to $1000.

5. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    As far as I can tell its a US model and I did register it with Olympus.

I will say that I was hesitant to buy a camera from a game store and I'm not really sure what the connection is between the games and the cameras. But it worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I believe that these folks bought out a huge chunk of the inventory when J&R music world closed earlier in the year

7. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I bought my first M43 camera from them on eBay back in December 2013. I was looking to try out legacy lenses on the cheap. It was a Panasonic GF5 that was new but was an open box due to the removal of the kit lens. It was delivered exactly as described and the camera was new otherwise. I would buy a camera from them again to get a good deal.

8. golftango

golftango Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks for the replies! You've made it easier for me to convince she who controls the checkbook! :wink:

9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I don''t think the warranty will work since they're not authorized dealer.

10. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
  11. ronk

ronk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ron
    That's correct. They are not an authorized dealer, so when I asked them, they said they can't guarantee the warranty would be valid....so some caution there and factor that in to their really good prices.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    From a purely actuarial standpoint (as opposed to whatever personal value you ascribe to the peace of mind of having a warranty) the monetary value of a warranty is not much - AT MOST, it's on the order of 4-5% of the purchase price of the item per year that the warranty is valid). This applies the observed failure rates, which are typically 4-5% annually for all major brands, and assumes total replacement of the failed item. This is basically an upper asymptote on the monetary value of the warranty, actuarially speaking. If you're paying anything more than a 5% premium for the comfort of knowing you have a good 1 year warranty, you're either over-paying, or you put an inordinate value on over-insuring against risk.

13. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I remember when I sent in my EM5 for monitor bezel crack under warranty service, if I'm not wrong, one of their asking was receipt from authorized dealer.
    You might call Olympus or Panasonic to find out. To me paying little extra premium for the one good year of use is worth it, especially these are very high tech in small body cameras. we used to have problems with DSLR like shutter, dust and lenses back focus, but with mirror-less cameras, you might get problems with EVF, sensor stabilized system sort of thing, so I do think the warranty is much need here.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    $999 vs. $1299 is not "a little premium"

In any case, the rate of repair/replalcement of Olympus Mirrorless cameras under warranty is less than 5%. And when registering the camera, you can always state that it was received as a gift.

15. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
  16. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Yes, there were 9% eBay bucks in the past 2 days, it is the best deal of EM1 I've never seen!

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Can always get third party warranty.