TheCameraStoreTV reviews the PEN-F, compares to GX8 and looks at 300/4

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Review seemed pretty good. I like the CamerastoreTV stuff. My only gripe - they don't compare performance with the OMD or E-P5 with respect to its weak-spots.

Can't wait until the Mark II pops out so I can pick up a second-hand Pen-F in a few years time (to go with my film Pen-F) :biggrin:

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
When a reviewer cannot make a video over 4 seconds and cannot figure it out, something is wrong. Either the camera or the reviewer. Every Oly camera I owned with video, you hit the $%#^ red button and off it goes, usually while you're walking around.

I also cannot believe the CAF is not working. I mean that was not balky CAF. It's no CAF. Seems like either pilot error on the reviewer, or, some marketing buffon gave them a bad camera.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
They're just underwhelmed because they compare it to other cameras like the X-Pro2 and GX8, which I find legitimate. However, I'm not sure that I care about most of the things they're having a go at - I hardly ever use C-AF, for one. My problem is that most of what makes the camera special is actually of pretty little use to me as a RAW shooter, and things I care about aren't really implemented in a sensible way. I don't have any intention of using the Hi-Res mode, and I'm with Chris in that I wish that all those hardware features (most prominently, the front dial, if you will excuse the pun) could be made to do something for me, but unfortunately, I'd be stuck with all this gadgetry I have no use for. For me, some of the controls actually just take up space and provide additional points of failure without any tangible advantages. What I do care about is the EVF - but somehow, they managed only a mediocre job with the unit from the E-M10 II, apparently. At this price point, that's a bit of a downer, to be honest. Especially if all this about the laggy response is true. The E-M10 is almost as quick to deploy as my Nikons, and the viewfinder doesn't lag in a way I find problematic - whereas I find the (however slight) wait the LX100 imposes on me on startup quite irritating. A newer camera of this class shouldn't show this kind of behaviour; I just hope that it's overstated (but I'll check very thoroughly!).

On the other hand, some things are simply great - like a couple of custom profiles right on the mode dial. I set up my camera quite differently for different shooting modes (and I mean A, S, M and occasionally P here, nothing else), and to have those setups ready at one click of a wheel is fantastic (apart from that, it's something that Panasonic has offered for ages - the GF1 does have this feature!). Furthermore, the camera is indeed very slick - it might be rather big for a PEN, but it's actually quite a compact camera with not a lot of protruding elements (front dial aside ...). Even the EVF, while clearly bigger and better spec'd than the one on the GM5, doesn't stick out a lot in any direction. The flip screen, the exposure compensation dial, the threaded shutter button - all very nice additions and details, and certainly useful.

And yet, having shoot the LX100 and the E-M10 side-by-side now for quite a while, I can't help but feel that the two-dial design of the OM-Ds is at least as quick and effective as the use of dedicated controls on the LX100 (or similar cameras). And doubling controls doesn't make an awful lot of sense. I'd find a use for the second programmable dial on the back, I'm sure, but I haven't missed a third dial up to now ...

In short: It's a pretty confusing mix of desirable (new) features and toy-like stuff that is more likely to get in the way instead of being used or even useful - at least that's the way I see it. I'll have to handle the PEN-F in order to decide if putting up with that stuff is actually worth it or not. At the initial price, it's a tough sale at any rate, especially with such strong direct competitors within the system as the E-M5 II and the GX8 ...

M.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
I really wonder about the firmware.
So do I. I sincerely hope that they didn't limit their own access to all the knobs and dials in the first place through some widdled-down protocol or something (this has happened before); if not, maybe they'll see sense eventually and make the whole lot customisable (Chris mentions AF or drive modes on the front dial - great idea!). And as for C-AF and lagginess - well, let's just say I really, really hope that they didn't somehow economise on the actual electronics. We'll have to wait and see until the technical reviews appear. But I'll sure as heck test this thing myself before I consider buying it.

M.

TonyG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The C-AF comments are disappointing. You'd think there would always be steady progress in an area that is such a weakness across their entire line. How could there newest, expensive camera come out of the gate still lacking.

OTE="Speedliner, post: 863405, member: 25372"]The C-AF comments are disappointing. You'd

You made a valid point a firmware update may not be able to fix the problems with CAF because of compromised hardware design. That's a concern for sure. I wouldn't touch this cameras with a ten foot pole if this is the final product.

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OTE="Speedliner, post: 863405, member: 25372"]The C-AF comments are disappointing. You'd

You made a valid point a firmware update may not be able to fix the problems with CAF because of compromised hardware design. That's a concern for sure. I wouldn't touch this cameras with a ten foot pole if this is the final product.

I would for the 80mp file.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
We will likely get 80MP or larger raw files in the high res mode of E-M1 II. Granted we may have to wait until Photokina in September to get it.

TonyG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Camera Store posted that Olympus sent them a preproduction version of the PEN F and not the production version that Olympus intended to provide for testing. Olympus assured them that the CAF issues are fixed in the production version.

Benzy

Mu-43 Regular
Like the camera ...hate the price, art dial and lack of weather sealing at this price.

Even when the price eventually drops, I can't imaging picking this up over a discounted E-M5ii for any reason other than how it looks.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
If this is the level of discussion for the GX8 vs. Pen F, we might need to issue Prozac when they release the GH5 and EM1 II. One of the great things about Mu43 is that we can have impassioned discussions completely in house.

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
To me, from a strictly functional perspective, it seems they are charging about $400 USD too much. I will likely buy a nice mid level WA prime lens and save my money and see what the E-M1 replacement is like.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
To me, from a strictly functional perspective, it seems they are charging about $400 USD too much. I will likely buy a nice mid level WA prime lens and save my money and see what the E-M1 replacement is like.
The prices on these bodies all drop, never mind used or refurbished. I always wait because by the holidays we may actually see some deals $400 lower. I agree that $800 is a much more appropriate price.

Entropy or Bust

New to Mu-43
When I was a commercial catalog photographer in the 80s we'd have to deal with Art Directors on set. I always made sure something in the scene was obviously askew so they'd have something to fix otherwise they'd mess up the perfect shot. I suspect the same happens in the camera biz. If they made the perfect camera no one would by another.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
It seems like he was actively looking for things to find fault with at some point so it wouldn't be overly positive. Like the viewfinder. I find it hard to believe that it's worse than EM5II and that one doesn't have the lag issue he mentions as far as I can tell.

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Camera Store posted that Olympus sent them a preproduction version of the PEN F and not the production version that Olympus intended to provide for testing. Olympus assured them that the CAF issues are fixed in the production version.

Seems logical. That sample was busted.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Where di they post this? Not doubting you, just curious, because I thought they specifically said they had a production model during the video. This would make sense. The C-AF they showed was essentially nonfunctional and why would they release that. Why they release it for a review is another matter.

TonyG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Where di they post this? Not doubting you, just curious, because I thought they specifically said they had a production model during the video. This would make sense. The C-AF they showed was essentially nonfunctuniy. l and why would they release that. Why they release it for a review is another matter.
If you read the comments under the video they specifically asked Olympus if the Camera was a production model Olympus said yes it is. After the review was posted Olympus contacted them and said the camera sent to them was a prerelase unit and not a production unit that Olympus intended to send them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom