The x100 devil speaks to me...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by fransglans, May 25, 2013.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Ok, I can be honest, the fuji "looking good" x100 has appealed to my sensitive soul for a looong time. And the fuji x threads here doesnt help much either.

How hard can it be for a man to stay satisfied with his present gear?

I just got my PL25 back after some months of separation, and for sure I love it, It does everything great. But this devil of x100 talkes about 35mm FL, film-like grain, and all sweet stuff a man could want.

So, I guess that I must tell my brain that this x100 isnt gonna make me 100% satisfied either, there will ALWAYS be something on the other side that keeps my attention alert.

I add some of my latest pics from my ep3 and pl25 of my near and dear ones. I love them them all, and they are more than good enough for me.
    just wanted to share some thoughts folks...

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Relax & enjoy the x100 like I enjoy mine. It's a different animal than Micro Four Thirds & thus both easily co-exist. :smile:

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    really nice images man!. And i know what you feel about the X100 happened to me. and though i know fujis are awesome cameras (to some) it was not for me. And seeing your really good images here, i dont see that the fuji will do much more for you. You already got the "eye" and you'll be good with any camera.

4. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Too bad that my wallet says no to the "co-exist" thing :(

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    All these used deals on the x100 are very tempting. I'm seeing a lot of upgraders to the new x100s. Very tempting indeed.

6. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thanks for the uplifting words! I love the onelens setup with x100, and my plan is to continue this but with ep3 and pl25 instead.but I would love to shoot with them both for a couple of weeks to see the real world differences.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yup - They're getting close to new PL25 prices :wink:

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I know what you mean. For the longest time I thought I would upgrade from Gx1 to Omd when prices start to come down. But now I have this idea that I am better off getting the X100 instead. Much of the appeal is the coolness of using that good looking Fuji with its optical viewfinder . The excellent Jpeg engine and super clean high ISO. I just have this feeling that it's a lot more fun to take pictures with.
    Its very tempting...

9. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Financially both are at the bottom of their curve so a switch now and a switch later might not be too painful. And you are quite adept with a single focal length so I would do it.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Oh it's very much fun - I can attest to this :smile:

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Agree on all counts. The X100 is certainly a great camera, but I never "bonded" with it. Oddly enough, I have a great relationship with it's cheaper cousin the X10. Go figure.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi .. I think these pics r from EP3 with PL25 and not X100
    :wink:

13. Bhupinder2002

Hi .. Beautiful images :2thumbs:. I bought X100 twice and sold it . Needless to say I would buy it again if I get one around 500 USD. I loved the output but again it's very much subjective . The current generation of MFTs from Olympus and Panasonic offer same or even better output with primes. Having said that , Fuji built quality and tactile feeling , over all experience is very good .Fuji still need some extensive ground work to do .Anyway enjoy this little gem . One tip... Shoot in M mode ... While in M mode ... Press AEL button n u it will focus at ur command .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. Bhupinder2002

Hi .. The same thing with me .I never felt at home with it but that doesn't mean there was something wrong with the camera . One thing which I have seen is that Olympus metering is the best .
    Cheers

15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    My sekonic meter is best... no offense bhupinder. A simple 358, calibrated in for your camera, that's my best friend whenever my head doubts my camera. Usually we're both wrong, but the Sekonic is right on.

And you bought it twice!? Man you crazy, I know fuji can make some stellar lenses but still...

16. Bhupinder2002

Hahahh.. no offesne at all. We are all friends here and love to laugh and share our experiences . I never tried out of camera meter . I will try and see.YEs , I did buy it twice and sold it . WIth OMD + exellent primes , I thought this was an uwanted expense. The other reason being that last black version LE was quite expensive and I couldnt justify it.
    Cheers

17. Optical1

Optical1 Mu-43 Rookie

May 17, 2013
    x100 is a gateway drug...

Careful! I started with an x100, worked my way into an X100S and now I'm pondering the RX1.

Love the 35mm focal length!!

18. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    yes these were from my ONLY setup, the ep3 and pl25. My talk about x100 was nothing but daydreams :)

I wait until 2015 when the x100s comes around 450usd and x100 250usd :D

But im still looking for a good friend around who can let me borrow his x100 for a week or two :)

19. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Still married? :D

20. Bhupinder2002

Agree X100 is a tortoise and MFT is hare :wink:
    :drinks::drinks::wink::wink: