The world's most hot-shoe equipped camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pharaviel, Jun 30, 2011.

1. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    They like "the world better xyz" stuff on commercial campaign...
    I would have liked to see something like this on the M43 Olympus flagship.
    With a free kit flash small enough to fit, of course. Like the one with the epl3.

(better)flash + EVF, penpal + evf, macro lights + evf...
    Would be nice for a AP2 GPS geotag accessory.

[​IMG]

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's an interesting idea, especially since Oly has made that little clip on flash standard with the other two models. I hope they sell that separately for the E-P2.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    bluetooth, gps and evf could have been built-in... leaving hotshoe for macro light or flash

4. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Wow, me likes...
    The only thing is, if one of them is taken by a flash, say, FL-36R would anything else (like VF-2 or a mic) fit into the other one?

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Pretty cool, but if you are opening up the Photoshop you may as well put 5 or 6 on their LOL for mic, led video light, etc... ;)

my iPhone sent this

6. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Could use another hot shoe on the right for an optional "hardware shutter release", who uses it anyway when you have iphone-like touch to shot? < /sarcasm >

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    For me the issue is flash control vs EVF. The simple solution for existing bodies would be to add a TTL flash sync, which used to be standard on all the OM SLRs. That way the hot shoe could remain open for the EVF (or whatever).

Now that I think of it - many of the other accessories could work off such a jack with no need to sit on top at all: mic, wifi, etc.

8. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    They could make a evf with a ttl cable socket if there is no space left on the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Yes a ttl jack could be integrated with the VF-2, but there's even less room on that!

Consider this OM-4. The rectangular body is almost exactly the same dimensions as the E-P1/2/3 (and smaller than the e400, as shown). The shutter speed dial surrounded the lens mount. The ttl jack was mounted on the upper right (looking from the front).

Why not live with a similar 'hump', which extends forward, over the lens mount, not back. Add an adjustment ring on the lens mount (which is already extended on the E-PL3). This would yield two adjustment rings so that the rocker dial would be far less necessary for shooting adjustments. Finally, add the ttl jack as shown (for additional APS extensions).

The result would be a digital OM - one of the smallest, most innovative professional SLRs ever!

e400preview36.