1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The World So Bright I Gotta wear Shades

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by bfjr, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bfjr

bfjr Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Nice image, but I think it would be a lot better without the shadow of (your?) head on the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    ... And in my opinion, since he is the main subject and there's a lot of relatively empty space on the left, it would have been better if his left arm didn't get cut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Great subject though.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nice shades.

6. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  7. bfjr

bfjr Mu-43 Regular

Not my shadow, someone else.
    You are both of course correct about framing and shadow,
    but was not able to do either given the time and the corner (people waiting on bus).
    Still wanted to capture that face in that light!

thanks for your comments.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I didn't notice the shadow until I read the response, I just really like the photo.

As for composition, following the rules is safe but not all good or great photos follow the rules. I've been looking at Cartier-Bresson's photography a bit lately and it's refreshing to notice how many of his pictures either don't follow the "rules" precisely, or simply break them. Good photos work, and your shot works for me the way it is. Besides, following the rules of composition on the street isn't always possible. You have no control over the subject and you can't always move to the spot where the framing would be better, either because that spot is taken/blocked or you don't have the time to get there.

In the end, if the best camera is the one you have with you, the best shot is the best one you can manage in the circumstances. I don't know if your shot is that best shot, but I really like it as I said, and the framing works for me. I don't have a problem with the left arm being cut off given the placement of the face in the frame, and I think the negative space to the left works fine in the circumstances. I think the framing was a good call if you couldn't move further to your right to take the shot or if doing so would have resulted in including things on the right which would be visually intrusive.