THE wide, native lens for street photography on a Panny.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by voltcontrol, May 8, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    After my first month of shooting MFT/Mu43 (what IS the preferred term anyway??;) ) I find myself liking the wider angles a lot, for both landscape and on the streets. I shoot in both the light and dark situations.

What would you consider to be THE native lens for street photography on a Panny at the moment?
  2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Panny 7-14 and Panny 14. The 14 (28mm equiv on FX) focal length is just right for me giving me options for even wider choices when using the 7-14. I found it to be very easy to use and gives me more room for creativity.

(Talking on the street side of things)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I don't think there's such a thing as THE lens for any photographic task. For street some like 35, others prefer standard (40-50), then there are the 28 aficionados. I like a short tele like the 45 because i prefer to keep a distance; people usually get mean around here. Good thing is, whatever the FL, there are excellent choices for all your street photography needs in m4/3. 14/2.5; 17/1.8; 20/1.7; 25/1.4 all are excellent lenses for street.
  4. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Depending on your style it could be anything really. But if your looking in the wide angle range... Panasonic 7-14mm F/4, Olympus 12mm F/2, Panasonic 14mm F/2.5, Olympus 17mm F/1.8. At-least those would be the ones I would consider. Anything past 17mm IMO is no longer really a "wide" lens but thats my take on it from my eyes.

For the longest time.. traditionally speaking I think a lot of people consider the 35mm focal length on 35mm format to be " the wide-normal street lens" focal length... which translates roughly to 17mm on M43.
  5. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Not a fan of zooms for street photography, it's just one more thing to deal with and I go for spontaneity.

Oly 12/f2, Panny 14/f2.5, and Oly 17/1.8 are considered excellent street lenses, although I prefer wider (12 or 14) to not so wide (17).

The Oly 12 has the ability to snap focus/pre-focus with its slide-y ring thingy, and is highly regarded. It is also kind of expensive.

The Panasonic 14 is a wonderful lens, even with a hood it is remarkably compact, and broken off of a kit costs under $200, making it a bargain to boot.

It is the lens that is on my camera most of the time. I love it.