THE wide, native lens for street photography on a Panny.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by voltcontrol, May 8, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    After my first month of shooting MFT/Mu43 (what IS the preferred term anyway??;)  ) I find myself liking the wider angles a lot, for both landscape and on the streets. I shoot in both the light and dark situations.

What would you consider to be THE native lens for street photography on a Panny at the moment?

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord Subscribing Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Panny 7-14 and Panny 14. The 14 (28mm equiv on FX) focal length is just right for me giving me options for even wider choices when using the 7-14. I found it to be very easy to use and gives me more room for creativity.

(Talking on the street side of things)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I don't think there's such a thing as THE lens for any photographic task. For street some like 35, others prefer standard (40-50), then there are the 28 aficionados. I like a short tele like the 45 because i prefer to keep a distance; people usually get mean around here. Good thing is, whatever the FL, there are excellent choices for all your street photography needs in m4/3. 14/2.5; 17/1.8; 20/1.7; 25/1.4 all are excellent lenses for street.

4. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Depending on your style it could be anything really. But if your looking in the wide angle range... Panasonic 7-14mm F/4, Olympus 12mm F/2, Panasonic 14mm F/2.5, Olympus 17mm F/1.8. At-least those would be the ones I would consider. Anything past 17mm IMO is no longer really a "wide" lens but thats my take on it from my eyes.

For the longest time.. traditionally speaking I think a lot of people consider the 35mm focal length on 35mm format to be " the wide-normal street lens" focal length... which translates roughly to 17mm on M43.

5. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Not a fan of zooms for street photography, it's just one more thing to deal with and I go for spontaneity.

Oly 12/f2, Panny 14/f2.5, and Oly 17/1.8 are considered excellent street lenses, although I prefer wider (12 or 14) to not so wide (17).

The Oly 12 has the ability to snap focus/pre-focus with its slide-y ring thingy, and is highly regarded. It is also kind of expensive.

The Panasonic 14 is a wonderful lens, even with a hood it is remarkably compact, and broken off of a kit costs under $200, making it a bargain to boot.

It is the lens that is on my camera most of the time. I love it.

P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.