The water pump station

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Gerald, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011

Hi guys,

During my holiday in the Netherlands, I came across this little water pump station. The first time I passed it I was fascinated, so I had to make some photos of it. Just wanted to share these images with you, and also something about the process. Hope you enjoy!

About the process
    So I passed it while driving and it instantly grabbed my attention. I could see it in the distance but it was much too far away from the road to make a decent picture. We drove along to our destination.

Days later, it was still in my mind: I had to take a photo of it. This is not something that happens often by the way, so I had to listen to myself. I took the camera and went back. As I got up there it turned out to be quite hard to get access to. Around it were fields all parted with water just wide enough not too take the chance to jump holding a camera. I took photos from as close as I could get. Which was still quite far off. They all sort of sucked...

I found other similar water pump stations that I could easily get close too. I took photos. They all sort of sucked too.

Last day of the holiday. I couldn't stand it! I went back, in search for a way to get closer. And then I found a little path that gave access to the fields. Finally!

Never before had I felt this urge to capture a specific subject, but there was something about it. Once close I decided I wanted to try and make a small series of photos of it. Now I feel so relieved and also quite happy I went back. Not necessarily because of the result, but because I actually made the pictures and took the effort.

About the gear
    I used my G2 and 14-45 lens.
  2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    This happens to me similarly. I pass something, from the car, my natural laziness or desire to keep moving kicks in but there is something nagging at me and I end up going back at some point. Had it happen yesterday on the way home from my sister's.

Good shots and I think I like the second and third ones the best.
  3. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Such awesome colours!
  4. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Good job. I like number two which shows off the angles of the fence.

I am not so fond if the shots being so darned yellow.
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    "...nagging"? Just think of it as reconnaissance. Research if you like. Smugly add it to you list of secret places, and carry on. Come back when the light is ideal. And you have more time.
  6. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    When the light is ideal? Is that important?... :wink:
  7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I know what you mean, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. I don't know if it's intended, but it reminds me of illustrations I see in children's books depicted just so.

If the OP doesn't see it as yellow, it's time for monitor calibration.
  8. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback guys.
    Yes the colors were a deliberate choice, no calibration needed :) The colors were great to begin with, yet very accurate and 'normal', I just pushed into a direction.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    With the leading lines and the single subject isolation, the 2nd image is very good. Thanks for sharing.
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Excellent color, nicely done! :thumbup:
  11. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis

Always listen when something tells you to work a location; it might not be there the next time you visit.
  12. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Nice group! Thanks for sharing the shots and your thoughts. Fortunately your subject remained. Often that magic moment was only a fleeting moment.