The VF-2 surprised me

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nuclearboy, May 27, 2013.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    A short story for those of you who are considering a view finder.

I have been playing with M43 cameras for a few years now and have always wondered if a view finder would help. Framing and focusing have been occasionally difficult for me but not really a problem. I also need reading glasses (which I typically don't have on when I am outside shooting) and that makes things less than ideal when holding the camera 12 inches from my face.

The price of the view finders has been a key deterrent. I almost bought a VF-3 when they were on sale but some reviews made me think I would like more resolution so I balked. To make a long story short, I ended up getting a deal on a VF-2 last week and just returned from a weekend trip to NYC. I did not expect much and was surprised that at the end of the first day I had not even pulled the VF-2 out. On the second day, I took a boat ride and had some time to fiddle with my camera. I installed the VF-2 and immediately realized how wonderful this thing was.

The VF-2 made shooting much easier and I could see the screen clearly without my reading glasses. I have the VF-2 with the accessory (larger) eyepiece mounted on the E-PM2. I immediately felt like I could frame the pictures better, hold the camera more steady, and see the focus and lighting better. It really felt like a different camera. The screen just popped out at me.

Bottom line, I am not sure if the VF-2 is worth $200 or not but I do know that for me, it makes shooting outdoors much more enjoyable.

2 cents worth from a new VF-2 lover....

Sample of lower Manhattan as seen from the boat tour.

• Like Like x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Great shot. I completely understand the reading glasses problem. It's the most pressing reason to get an evf.
  3. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    I use a VF-2 with my E-PL1 but I found the OM-D E-M5 integrated EVF superior. Same resolution, but better image (the VF-2 has more distortion IMO) and the refresh rate is higher.
    Anyway, as soon as you want to shoot in broad day light with an E-Pxx, the VF-2 is nearly compulsory. I guess I'll upgrade my E-PL1 sooner or later but I'll keep the VF-2.

Did anybody try the VF-4 by the way?
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I agree with you 100%!

I've tried pretty much all the EVFs now, and the VF2/OMD EVF are the best balance, IMO. It's the VF2 which got me to buy an OMD. I loved it so much, but didn't like it being an appendage. So, I got the OMD so that it was integrated.
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I had a similar rationale.
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Now that I have tried and liked the VF-2, I am more likely to buy my next M43 camera with a built in VF.
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    viewfinders rule!
  8. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    Yes they do. I've been shooting using the screen since I got the EPL1, but it is often frustrating. I used to shoot my G11 using the screen very often, but that's partly because it articulates, and I could get a lot of low shots and awkward angles (and the OVF is a bit pokey and uninformative).

I wanted a VF-4, but just can't afford it. (Note to Olympus: Please bring out a VF-5, so the price of the VF-4 drops, thank you please.) So I bought a VF2, and have been debating the pros & cons in my head all the time I've been waiting for one on ebay, and waiting for delivery.

OK, so I picked it up from the sorting office this morning, and I fitted it when I got to London Bridge station, before the usual walk to work. Man, it's ugly! It makes the camera so knobbly - even more so than my SLR, which I really don't like. Oh dear.

But, in use, it's remarkable. I didn't shoot anything particularly special, but mostly things I've captured before, just to see the difference.

It's obviously not a high res image, but the lag doesn't seem bad. I did manage manual focus with it, though obviously I haven't inspected that image yet for sharpness.

I like the way it adjusts, and enjoyed composing by looking down into the camera. Not exactly a WLF, of course, but not dissimilar to using a loupe on the ground glass screen. Setting a 45 degree angle was useful for some street images, too, though I don't think I'll be doing a lot of that.

Adjusting settings was cofusing, as I couldn't find the right buttons. I expect that will improve with time, and, when I upgrade to EP5 (Note to Olympus: Please bring out an EP6, so the price of the EP5 drops, thank you please.), the two wheels under the thumb and forefinger will, I imagine, help with that.

More fun later. Just got hours of boring work in the way first.
  9. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I think that's because the E-PL1 is letting the side down. I can't compare to an E-M5 VF, but my VF-2 looks/works better on my E-PL5 than my E-PL1.