The Verge reviews the OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by everythingsablur, May 1, 2012.

1. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Another major tech blog weighs in on the E-M5. These guys are a little more m43 friendly as they used to use GF1s way back when they were at Engadget.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 review | The Verge

• Like Like x 2
  2. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    So many Sonycam fans on the gadget blog comment sections. At least Sony still commands respect in some aspects of their business.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    With Sony's involvement with the gaming industry, it is no wonder that some of the rabid fanboyism trickles over. Almost without fail, whenever you read a comment about a camera that starts with 'does it have xyz? or, it doesn't have xyz...but sony does so i'm going with that camera'. it is kind of funny.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It wasn't they, I do believe Josh actually owns a GF1.

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Yes, it was Josh generally brandishing a GF1 at all the press events he covered, but I though there was another guy with them as well with one. Anyway, beside the point as it isn't Josh writing the article.

6. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    They wrote, by all counts, a glowing review. Yet, ironically, slam it for having a "smaller sensor". This "bad" attribute is quickly becoming a moot point given the stellar performance relative to its APS peers.

The "smaller sensor" as a "bad stuff" can and should also be mentioned as a "good stuff" if they were so enlightened. Otherwise how else would you get such small lenses? Such an ignorant remark, it's a shame they can't see that a "smaller sensor" also does come with some inherent strengths.

Regards,
    AJW

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Probably the most impotrant thing I learned in buying DSLRs and NEX is that picking a camera by the numbers is a huge mistake. NEX sucks, D3100 sucks, even the GH2 isn't quite right as a stills camera for me. I wish more reviewers would emphasize handling over performance. Thom does a good job that way.