1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Verge comparison of the M1 vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dave92029, Sep 14, 2013.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/13/4727644/spec-sheet-olympus-e-m1-compared-fuji-xpro1-6d-d600

The article only briefly mentions Smartphones, but the Galaxy S4 has a 13 mp camera. Smartphones are the most popular source of photos on the internet, so the phone manufacturers will continue to to ad features and improve quality.

Some are already offering lens for smartphone cameras.

Is the Olympus high pricing going to kill M43 for the masses, and can Olympus survive with a much smaller elite photog market? :confused:

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Don't really understand this. Olympus makes low-priced cameras as well as higher-priced ones. Why would the E-M1 make the E-PM2 or E-PL5 less attractive to the mass market? If there was some indication that Olympus was abandoning these models, I could see a reason for concern, but there isn't.

3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL

Tough questions and I certainly don't have the answers. I don't think m43 will ever be "killed" anytime soon. As to price, I too thought is was way too high priced, then I seen where its the fastest, number one seller on amazon...who knew?

Olympus camera division is in financial trouble, maybe...just maybe they actually do know what their doing with the M1 and the new pro lenses...time will tell.

4. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    No. As mentioned, mft is available at all price points. Sure, my EM5 cost nearly $1k, but my GF3 cost me $50.

Nor is the reverse true -- no matter how cheap and good a standalone camera is, a smartphone camera will always have its place.

5. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    The Verge is awesome and all, but that comparison isn't very helpful. Stating minimum and maximum ISOs (maximums in particular) means nothing when performance levels are all over the place. Also, the 6D only goes up to 1/4000.

More importantly, for the most part the cameras on that list aren't really competitors to E-M1. I don't mean that they're not as good in their own ways, but they simply fulfill different niches. A more accurate comparison would feature something along the lines of the 7D, D7100, A77, and K5II. The D600 and 6D are sort of relevant, but still more enthusiast than pro/semi-pro.

Fact of the matter is the E-M5 is better to compare against all of the cameras they listed. Or more appropriate, it's likely PDAF donning successor.