The use of other micro 4/3 lenses on Panasonic G1

snyper564

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked, I just cant seem to find the answer. I currently live in South Africa and the lenses that are available for the micro 4/3 cameras are very limited or very expensive.

Can I use other micro 4/3 camera brands say for example the Nikon 1 30-110mm lens on my Panasonic G1, will there be any issues?

snyper564

Mu-43 Rookie
So I cant use other micro 4/3 camera lenses without adaptors? I thought they were all interchangeable or did I miss something? :)

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
The Nikon 30-110 is for a different system (Nikon 1 system) and is not micro four thirds. It has a different sensor size so I am not even sure it would work with an adapter on a m43 camera? All other m43 lenses work in all m43 bodies (aside from some stabilisation differences) no adapters are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

snyper564

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to confirm it. Will the AF work across m43 bodies and different m43 lenses?

STR

Mu-43 Veteran
So I cant use other micro 4/3 camera lenses without adaptors? I thought they were all interchangeable or did I miss something? :)

It's not Micro 4/3 if you need an adapter. M4/3 is a specific kind of interchangable lens, made by Panasonic, Olympus or one of the other 4/3 partners. If it has the M4/3 brand on it, it is compatible and interchangeable with other M4/3 equipment. Nikon lenses are not M4/3. Canon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji (etc) aren't M4/3 either. Some non-compatible lenses will work with an adapter, others (like Nikon 1, or Sony E-Mount) will not.

The M4/3 Standard (LINK)

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nikon is not Micro Four Third

It's not Micro 4/3 if you need an adapter. M4/3 is a specific kind of interchangable lens, made by Panasonic, Olympus or one of the other 4/3 partners. If it has the M4/3 brand on it, it is compatible and interchangeable with other M4/3 equipment. Nikon lenses are not M4/3. Canon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji (etc) aren't M4/3 either. Some non-compatible lenses will work with an adapter, others (like Nikon 1, or Sony E-Mount) will not.

The M4/3 Standard (LINK)

1. "Other Micro Four Third Camera" would mean Olympus. While Nikon offers a mirrorless camera, it's not MFT. In addition to Panasonic's lens, any Olympus MFT lens would also work.

2. With one exception, lens adapters will only adapt the mechanical aspects of a lens, usually older legacy lens. AF and other electronic features will NOT work.

3. You can use an adapter to use older Canon, Nikon and most other lens that were used with film cameras. They function as a manual lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom