1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The use of other micro 4/3 lenses on Panasonic G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snyper564, May 27, 2014.

1. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi Guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked, I just cant seem to find the answer. I currently live in South Africa and the lenses that are available for the micro 4/3 cameras are very limited or very expensive.

Can I use other micro 4/3 camera brands say for example the Nikon 1 30-110mm lens on my Panasonic G1, will there be any issues?

2. PENasonic

PENasonic Mu-43 Regular

Yes, with a Nikon Lens adapter.

3. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    So I cant use other micro 4/3 camera lenses without adaptors? I thought they were all interchangeable or did I miss something? :)

4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    The Nikon 30-110 is for a different system (Nikon 1 system) and is not micro four thirds. It has a different sensor size so I am not even sure it would work with an adapter on a m43 camera? All other m43 lenses work in all m43 bodies (aside from some stabilisation differences) no adapters are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. snyper564

snyper564 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to confirm it. Will the AF work across m43 bodies and different m43 lenses?

6. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Yep. It will as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

7. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It's not Micro 4/3 if you need an adapter. M4/3 is a specific kind of interchangable lens, made by Panasonic, Olympus or one of the other 4/3 partners. If it has the M4/3 brand on it, it is compatible and interchangeable with other M4/3 equipment. Nikon lenses are not M4/3. Canon, Sony, Pentax, Fuji (etc) aren't M4/3 either. Some non-compatible lenses will work with an adapter, others (like Nikon 1, or Sony E-Mount) will not.

The M4/3 Standard (LINK)

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nikon is not Micro Four Third

1. "Other Micro Four Third Camera" would mean Olympus. While Nikon offers a mirrorless camera, it's not MFT. In addition to Panasonic's lens, any Olympus MFT lens would also work.

2. With one exception, lens adapters will only adapt the mechanical aspects of a lens, usually older legacy lens. AF and other electronic features will NOT work.

3. You can use an adapter to use older Canon, Nikon and most other lens that were used with film cameras. They function as a manual lens.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Besides Olympus and Panasonic, Sigma makes some AF m43 lenses too.

Barry

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes that's true, I was responding based on camera brand / format. Just wanted to make it clear abt difference between MFT and mirror less.