The Urban Image Thread

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

Marich Buildings, 20-28 Henry Street, Fremantle – Australian Heritage Sites
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking. The image was taken in April 2020.

The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century (c. 1897). The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle.

The earliest building recorded on this site is the Royal Hotel in 1844. Prior to 1884, there was a single-storey stone shop/residence on High Street frontage; there was also a stone building of similar vintage constructed fronting onto Henry Street. The site was redeveloped with shops and rooms on the ground floor level and offices on the first floor. The building was also known as the Rialto Chambers for many years.

The Brockman family owned the property from 1880 until 1948/49 when it was bought by Nicholas Marich, after whom the building is named. Nicholas (Nikola) Marich migrated to Western Australia from Yugoslavia in 1909 working in Kalgoorlie on his uncle's freshwater condensor and at nights washing dishes in hotels and restaurants. Marich put himself through night school learning to speak English proficiently. In 1917 he enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force, serving in the 11th Infantry Battalion during World War I. Upon his return from the war Marich settled in Spearwood, establishing a vineyard and supplying wine to fellow settlers in the area. Marich also worked as a court translator and was the first Yugoslav consul for Western Australia, a position he held from 1930 until 1944. The building remained in the Marich family until 1991.

In 1994 alterations to the building were carried out by Ralph Hoare Architect.

In 1999 the owners, Dunross Enterprises Pty Ltd, were awarded a $15,000 grant to fund a conservation plan of the building. In 2006 the City of Fremantle refused an application by Dunross Enterprises to develop a 5-storey hotel/apartment complex behind the Marich Buildings. A subsequent appeal to the State Administrative Tribunal was dismissed with the Tribunal concluding that in "an area of such high heritage value, a cautious approach was required", and that the 5th level and two-storey balconies were "not acceptable".

Another development proposal was put forward in 2016 for a three-storey building. Where this proposal is at is unclear but in late 2019 the owners had started a program of sandblasting the façade. The work remains unfished.

Real Name
Lyle
Aah, pseudo Georgian windows; don't you love 'em.
Until you have to paint the frames. :rofl:
This is from a set of images that I “rediscovered” during this pandemic lockdown. Photos are from 2014, but I somehow never reviewed and processed them. At that time, it looked like the dormer windows were well overdue for some paint.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
This is from a set of images that I “rediscovered” during this pandemic lockdown. Photos are from 2014, but I somehow never reviewed and processed them. At that time, it looked like the dormer windows were well overdue for some paint.
Yes, and you wouldn't see me volunteering to get up there. :eek:

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
_SBA2198 - _SBA2201_blended_fused_01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a three shot panorama taken with the Samyang 7.5mm f3.5

Last edited:

wyk

Mu-43 Regular
I think we were outside of Cashel, Ireland here.

151412649.RG5Tcd8c.aaP6235648.jpg

SprocketTheCat

Mu-43 Rookie

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

The Hamlet of L'Herm - Chemin de Stevenson Trail, France -2018-29
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This house was typical of the stone construction evident in the little hamlet of L'Herm, our last hamlet and source of water (water fountain here) for the day. From here we could look down into the valley to see on our final destination for the day, Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille.

Day 1 of 12 - Le Puy-en-Velay to Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.a

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sergei

wyk

Mu-43 Regular
No parking is best parking.

Also, I just sneaked in two more alley photos there.

Might as well make it a third:

Oh no, I can't stop:

wyk

Mu-43 Regular
Back to no parking:

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sergei

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom