The TOP Tabulations Are In!

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
"Sarge" over at theonlinephotographer.com has completed the graphs and such for the "Your Favorite Camera" poll that Mike Johnston placed in March 2014.

The original poll post:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...her/2014/03/your-favorite-digital-camera.html

Sarge's tabulations post:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/06/our-favorite-cameras.html

Interesting in that, of those polled, the E-M5 came in second only to the Nikon D700; of course that was in March and the E-M1 hadn't yet the track record that the E-M5 had then.

Obviously a totally subjective, non-scientific poll with only 650 photographers voting it's still kinda interesting.

I find it interesting as well that this is the "most responsive" poll ever taken by T.O.P. and it's on hardware, not photographic genre, photographer, era...photographers seem to be a techie bunch at heart. Makes me wonder how Kodak ("You push the button, we do the rest!") ever gained traction. There wasn't much 'tech' going on in those first Kodak boxes and what there was wasn't shared with the photographer :biggrin:.

There are frequent discussions of Art (the one with a capital "A") and Printing (check out http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/05/big-mystery.html ) on T.O.P. and some of those folks have some real chops - and yet the poll on camera bodies got everybody churnin'.

Interesting reading, even on a day when it isn't raining.

Regards,

Jim

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you count the x100 and x100s together, that little Fuji is a run away winner (and they did lump some of the other variants together: D800, Leica Ms). Having read the comments people made about their x100/s cameras makes me really want one.

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
There is not an insignificant amount of analysis in that poll!

One conclusion that is fairly easy to draw is that among enthusiasts, mirrorless is gaining traction and the main alternative is FF. So the D800, 5DM3 and E-M5 and Fujis are all doing well.

This is really quite different than the entry level market where the Canon rebel is a winner.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
If you count the x100 and x100s together, that little Fuji is a run away winner (and they did lump some of the other variants together: D800, Leica Ms). Having read the comments people made about their x100/s cameras makes me really want one.

I wondered about the x100/x100s as well.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I'm impressed the D700's really seem to be holding their own given the age of the tech and the numerous modern alternatives.
Seems to be a real work-horse, that holds its value relatively well on the second-hand market too (unlike, lamentably, m43's bodies).

Pleased to see the E-M5 put up a good fight though :)

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
More and more mirrorless users each day. Sensor technology will only get better.

I just hate that the first thing people bring up when they're having format discussions is depth of field. It happens without fail.

We get it. Move along!

phl0wtography

Mu-43 Veteran
Having read the comments people made about their x100/s cameras makes me really want one
I photograph daily, and I haven't used my E-M5 since I got a X100s in March.

@topic: I fail to grasp how data of ~700 people from a quite narrow user base (regular TOP readers, who in addition care to post), is in ANY way relevant to, let alone representative of the state of photography.

One comment hit the nail, when he/she said it just shows what gear TOP readers own.

Latest threads

Top Bottom