The TOP Tabulations Are In!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    "Sarge" over at theonlinephotographer.com has completed the graphs and such for the "Your Favorite Camera" poll that Mike Johnston placed in March 2014.

The original poll post:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...her/2014/03/your-favorite-digital-camera.html

Sarge's tabulations post:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/06/our-favorite-cameras.html

Interesting in that, of those polled, the E-M5 came in second only to the Nikon D700; of course that was in March and the E-M1 hadn't yet the track record that the E-M5 had then.

Obviously a totally subjective, non-scientific poll with only 650 photographers voting it's still kinda interesting.

I find it interesting as well that this is the "most responsive" poll ever taken by T.O.P. and it's on hardware, not photographic genre, photographer, era...photographers seem to be a techie bunch at heart. Makes me wonder how Kodak ("You push the button, we do the rest!") ever gained traction. There wasn't much 'tech' going on in those first Kodak boxes and what there was wasn't shared with the photographer :biggrin:.

There are frequent discussions of Art (the one with a capital "A") and Printing (check out http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2014/05/big-mystery.html ) on T.O.P. and some of those folks have some real chops - and yet the poll on camera bodies got everybody churnin'.

Interesting reading, even on a day when it isn't raining.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    If you count the x100 and x100s together, that little Fuji is a run away winner (and they did lump some of the other variants together: D800, Leica Ms). Having read the comments people made about their x100/s cameras makes me really want one.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    There is not an insignificant amount of analysis in that poll!

One conclusion that is fairly easy to draw is that among enthusiasts, mirrorless is gaining traction and the main alternative is FF. So the D800, 5DM3 and E-M5 and Fujis are all doing well.

This is really quite different than the entry level market where the Canon rebel is a winner.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wondered about the x100/x100s as well.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm impressed the D700's really seem to be holding their own given the age of the tech and the numerous modern alternatives.
    Seems to be a real work-horse, that holds its value relatively well on the second-hand market too (unlike, lamentably, m43's bodies).

Pleased to see the E-M5 put up a good fight though :)

6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Same type of irrelevant drek MJ churns out every year.

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Haters gonna hate :wink:

8. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    No hate, just irrelevant to photography.

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Rats! I knew I shoulda put the post in the Water Hole thread...:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I don't think that word means what you think it does :wink:

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    More and more mirrorless users each day. Sensor technology will only get better.

I just hate that the first thing people bring up when they're having format discussions is depth of field. It happens without fail.

We get it. Move along!

12. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I photograph daily, and I haven't used my E-M5 since I got a X100s in March.

@topic: I fail to grasp how data of ~700 people from a quite narrow user base (regular TOP readers, who in addition care to post), is in ANY way relevant to, let alone representative of the state of photography.

One comment hit the nail, when he/she said it just shows what gear TOP readers own.