The Times, they are a changing....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Jun 13, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    After carrying about 15 pounds of Nikon gear for 3.5 miles, I've decided to make my EP5 kit my hiking gear. Going 7.5 mile loop with a 1,000 elevation increase on Monday. I never thought I'd see this day so soon (64 ), but now where I can't take my jeep my MFT gear now gets the call.

The times they are a changing:)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    For me, this is reason I use m4/3.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yep, me too - although I think I was 'only' 63 when I dumped my Nikon gear and moved to m4/3 to save the schlepping. Also (don't tell anyone! :biggrin:) I've gotten an automatic transmission in my latest Jeep :eek:. (Which would be O.K. if I was rock crawling, but I'm just getting lazy and my knees hurt too much to shift in traffic...). It took me awhile to figure out that it was the D300/70-200 f/2.8/battery grip+8 aa cells combination that was causing my back pain on outings. Even gripped the E-M5 is a flyweight compared to the Nikon.

I've been very satisfied with my E-M5 vs my D300 gear, with some caveats (sporting events were easier with the Nikon's faster focusing and longer prime lenses are easier to obtain). I do have to start paying more attention, tho - recently I started printing 13x19" prints at home and some of the E-M5 shots that are not too bad at 8x10" do not transition well to larger sizes. Not a fault of the equipment (although that 12-50mm 'kit' lens is lamentable for me) but rather my own fault in poor judgement how far I can push available light and high ISO's. When I use better glass the issues go away. My Nikon glass, being longer in the acquisition, was somewhat better than some of my m4/3 lenses. Prints that I took a couple of years ago with the 12-50mm kit lens have a hard time competing with prints made from a Nikon D70s with it's kit lens.

Not all of my 12-50mm shots are bad, however - I've printed one (which I may frame for 'permanent' display) that was taken out of doors on a partly sunny day and the 13x19" test prints are very encouraging :2thumbs:.

The fun factor has gone 'way up, tho - I'm much more likely to schlep the E-M5 and 20mm lens than I was to carry the D300 and 50mm lens; it's lighter and doesn't get in the way as much.

Rather than blaming age, however, I prefer to consider it enlightenment backed by experience :biggrin:.

(I no longer pooh-pooh air-conditioned Jeeps...and I blame that on age :happy-084:).

Regards (and welcome to the club!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Good for you! I'm looking forward to taking my E-M5/12-40 kit on its first long-distance backpacking trip next week. Whatever age you are, less weight never hurts. I've finally gotten my overnight backpack down to under 25 pounds not counting food, and the difference is amazing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One reason why I ventured into m4/3 is the size and weight advantage. I still use my Nikon gear but not as much.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Yes, it is the weight advantage is a big deal, at least for me. I'm lucky in that I can have both systems and use which one I feel is better. I'm stopping the buying for awhile and using my 14-42 II R, 40-150, 14 Pany, and 30mm sigma until I really know what I need in the way of more expensive glass. I don't do that many long hikes but I have full faith in the EP5 ability to get the images, and all four lenses weigh less than my lightest Nikkor:smile:. I have asome knee issues that make short hikes with heavy gear ok, but for something like my next hike I just don't want to take the chance. I always want my adventures to be out and backs not just outs!
  7. AlanGinman

AlanGinman New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2014
    I'm only 59 and I'm already making that transition. It says something about the changing times when you can describe yourself as only 59!

8. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Last year at the ripe old age of 60 I photographed a three week sporting and cultural event in Israel. All the sports shooting was done with a 30lb kit of Canon DSLR gear. All of the social and cultural was done with a 6 lb m4/3 kit.

Couldn't wait to leave that Canon gear back at the hotel!
  9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I took out my old DSLR this weekend (Olympus E1 and 12-60mm) and cannot believe what a monstrosity they feel like after having used M43 for 2 years.
  10. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Matched you and lower you one ... I was 62 for auto transmission in my jeep and air conditioning, mu4/3 came a couple of years after
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rallyroo

Rallyroo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Last month I summited Mt Whitney again (14,505'/4,421m), but this time with my E-P3 in tow complete with mountaineering gear of ice axe, crampons, and full shank mountaineering boots. I have no idea how i did it, but managed just a 30 lb pack with all the necessary gear (including food and shelter) to deal with the 28-48F (-2 to 9C) in snow conditions.

Years ago, I was dumb enough, unenlightened, where I carried a fullsize dSLR up Mt Shasta (14,180'/4,322 m). What a difference a reduced weight makes.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tor

Tor Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2014
    You just need to sell that Canon gear :biggrin:
  13. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    I went back up Whitney in September last year for the third time. All I took was my phone as far as a camera goes. :tongue: It was one of the prime motivators to move from my canon gear to weather sealed m4/3. Looking forward to that part of things soon.

EDIT: I guess the gopro counts too though!
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    As much day hiking as I've done, I don't think I could ever leg FF or APSC slr equipment around.
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm 34, and only 2.5 years ago I was dragging a pair of 5DIIs, a 24-104, 100-400 and a couple of fast primes/assorted stuff to faraway nations. Now I have the gear in my signature and I'm much, much happier - half the weight, more flexibility, more range, more megapixels when I add the A7r to the mix.

I ain't going back to flappy mirrors. They have their place, but not in my bag.
  16. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    I still use my DSLR all the time. I work with my DSLR and if I showed up for a shoot with a M43 camera my clients would likely run from my unprofessionalism, grin. (As it is my latest DSLR is a sexy metallic red Pentax K-30 that I adore and they can make of that what they will...) But I'm thinking I'll be using the M43 cameras more now that I've got a trio of gently used P3's. Yeah, I said a trio. I was given a silver one, bought a used silver one, then just tonight grabbed another used white one for a song. I'm clearly addicted, lol.

I really like the P3 a lot so far. It's been a huge upgrade from the E-PL1. I could have gotten a P5 but honestly I just liked what I saw of the P3 better. I can't say I like the P5 nearly as much. Prices on the P3's are dropping like crazy. I see no reason not to take advantage of that. Heck, I might just pick up a black one to complete the set next year. Why not when I can pick one up for less than half the price of a used DSLR? For personal use I like the P3's a lot. That's not to say I don't love my K-30 because I totally do, but the P3's are definitely easier to throw in my purse...
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, the reduction in size and weight is a nice side-benefit of going mirrorless.
  18. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Indeed, the times are a changing for me too. After lugging Nikon D3s/D800's, I am looking forward to traveling light on a forthcoming trip to Seattle with a E-M1, 12-40/2.8 and 17/1.8.
  19. Terrier

Terrier Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I'm in pretty much the same boat. I use full frame Nikon gear at work and would often borrow it for trips. My personal camera was an old Canon G-5 compact which delivered acceptable results. When we decided to take a big trip this past summer, I figured it was time to upgrade my personal equipment.

I've always been picky about photo gear and have used Nikon, Canon and Minolta 35's over the years. I've also owned Hassy CM's, a 4x5 field camera and still own an old Rollei 2.8E TLR. When I started shopping I began by looking at the Nikon 610, the Canon 5D and 6D and the Sony A7. I asked about the Fuji lineup at one camera store and the salesman didn't have much to show me so he started talking about other mirror-less systems that he liked. That led me to research the Oly and Panasonic lineups and I eventually returned to the same store to try out the EM-1, EM-10 and the GX-7. All were a revelation but the EM-1 really seemed to fit me just right, so that's what I wound up with.

So far, I'm really happy with the camera, the lenses and the results. It was fantastic having such a lightweight, weather-sealed kit on my trip. It's not perfect, but it's damned close. For example, I'm not fond of using mirror-less in the studio with a remote fired flash but that's not what my personal kit is for. In the field, it's incredible. Also, and this is very personal, the Olympus has superior fit and finish to my Nikon gear. It's just a beautiful little camera to use.