The Terminator

Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So, usually I don’t like to photograph figures that don’t have a mask, not for reasons of pandemic safety, but because their plastic faces never look like the actual character. That doesn’t bother most toy photographers but for someone like myself whose angle is to make figures and vehicles look as real as possible it can be a problem.

That said I managed to get some mileage out of these two 15cm Terminator figures, which don't really look like Arnie, again using careful lighting and post-processing to try and get close to a look of realism.

Some of these were apparently going to be used for prints and posters so I had to bear that in mind, but I mostly chose to emulate scenes from the (1st) movie, namely the assaults on the police station, on the Tech Noir bar, repairing the servos in his arm, and towards the end when the character is severely damaged. The figures came with several different interchangeable heads and limbs to fit those scenes.

I shot as much as I could in-camera, as that always gives a better result. Doorways and windows frames were played by a photo frame and walls were cardboard sprayed with textured paint. Although I used a frosted glass panel to serve as shattered glass, I ended up pasting a picture of shattered glass into the frame. A vaping device provided the smoke and small torches with different coloured filters provided the lighting effects.

In post I tidied up obvious joints while adding muzzle flash, ejected cartridges and additional lighting and explosion effects. The movie was shot in 1.85:1 aspect ratio but I added widescreen bars to most shots anyway to create the illusion of a movie still.

You might think this is all a bit much, but consider that in the actual movie the last shot of the terminator endoskeleton being destroyed in a factory press was a pick-up shot, with the press made from foam sprayed with silver paint, the crushed terminator skull made from tin foil wrapped around a red bulb (for the eye), and smoke drifted into the scene from someone blowing cigarette smoke off-camera. Somehow my efforts seem far less impressive.

Anyway, I continue to try and bring toys to life. Results below, not all work but some do. Scroll down for the BTS.

I've now photographed The Terminator, Predator, Robocop, and Aliens. :)

Enjoy.

1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Sarah Connor wasn't available so I obliged... ;)
11.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

10.jpg

12a.jpg

From one cyborg to another... Pasted in a shot from the Robocop archives :)
15.jpg

Some BTS....

A.jpg

Below image became the second image from the top
B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Da.jpg

E.jpg

Video with music from the movie HERE

More Images
HERE

Instagram: @alpha_whiskey_photography

Last edited:

Burt Porter

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Burt Porter
I have to take offense at the two pictures you've posted which depict your protagonist firing at police officers. We have enough trouble with gratuitous violence -- both against and by our law enforcement officers. Please remove those images!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Outstanding work, as always! I can agree some of those shots don't look like Arnold, while others look very much like him. Had you not said anything most people would never notice.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I have to take offense at the two pictures you've posted which depict your protagonist firing at police officers. We have enough trouble with gratuitous violence -- both against and by our law enforcement officers. Please remove those images!
You need to watch the film. The 'police officer' isn't a police officer.

Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
By that standard shall we also ban virtually every action film ever made, every action TV show, many cartoon series and even some soap operas, produced in countries all around the world? Should a platform like YouTube be taken down for having billions of clips from all the aforementioned groups? Just because you personally don’t like it? Or is it simply a poor attempt to jump onto a cancel-culture bandwagon?

Please do take offence (none that was intended, of course), and consider that the price of living in a free society with free artistic expression (which includes photography).

And while taking offence maybe dare to watch the film, a work of art, and understand how the pictures are depicted as an homage to it. As if people seeing these images are immediately going to be incentivised to go out and commit acts of violence (!) :laugh:

In any event welcome to Planet Earth. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
By that standard shall we also ban virtually every action film ever made, every action TV show, many cartoon series and even some soap operas, produced in countries all around the world? Should a platform like YouTube be taken down for having billions of clips from all the aforementioned groups? Just because you personally don’t like it? Or is it simply a poor attempt to jump onto a cancel-culture bandwagon?

Please do take offence (none that was intended, of course), and consider that the price of living in a free society with free artistic expression (which includes photography).

And while taking offence maybe dare to watch the film, a work of art, and understand how the pictures are depicted as an homage to it. As if people seeing these images are immediately going to be incentivised to go out and commit acts of violence (!) :laugh:

In any event welcome to Planet Earth. Enjoy your stay.
Here here!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom