The system choices for the future

What will be your equipment path in the future

• I will just buy a Panasonic body

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I will sell my M43 gear and go mirrorless full frame

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I will buy from the "new" Olympus while they are in business, then Panasonic

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • I will mix my current gear with full frame

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I will go Panasonic and Full frame

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • It's a $1000+ cell phone for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medium format here I come

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hoping I can maintain something close to the size/output of my E-M5 and 1.8 primes. So ideally, Panasonic keeps iterating on the GX line up (hopefully for the better... not too sure about the direction of the GX9) so I don't have to bother with glass. Or go Fuji and their f/2 WR primes. Or... if a magically 2.8 prime kit for FF bodies hits, maybe that.

But plenty of time to figure it out. If anything, this will hopefully force me to really push the hardware :) Realistically... I know I'll probably finally pick up a used X100V down the line :) But that was likely to happen independent of anything, lol

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tend to hang on to stuff for a decade or more if possible. And I spend a lot of time before making a final decision. No wonder then that most of my electrical appliances are Miele... On the camera front I still got my Leica branded Panasonic FZ50. Even though it is a 14 year old camera, the low noise images that it produces at 100 ISO are not inferior to the ones taken by my more recent m43 cameras. No wonder then that I still use it for macro and close up shots.
So the Olympus news has zero impact on me. Especially since I don't have many Olympus bits that I would be worried about if they stopped working from JANUARY 2021. I am in that age group where the PL100-400mm is too heavy for me to handhold reliably at acceptable shutter speeds. So FF is of no interest to me. And where am I going to find an equivalent to the PL35-100mm f2.8 as far as performance, size, and price is concerned.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not one vote for a phone.... :)
I would like a full frame with a 24mm and a 50macro.
Maybe one day, when my M5ii stops working. Until then, this is easily, the best camera I’ve ever owned.
I have always wanted a decent telephoto, but always out of my reach financially.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Its something I have been deliberating for the last few days.

Whilst my experience to date with Olympus gear has been shocking, I still love everything about it and can think of no better system for my needs.

If I were to switch systems, now is the time for me to do it with all my gear either having just been replaced for new or its been refurbished by Olympus.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Its something I have been deliberating for the last few days.

Whilst my experience to date with Olympus gear has been shocking, I still love everything about it and can think of no better system for my needs.

If I were to switch systems, now is the time for me to do it with all my gear either having just been replaced for new or its been refurbished by Olympus.
Tell us more Joe! What happened?
I seen all your gear for sale, and thought woaaah!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Not one vote for a phone.... :)

It is a weird poll since it is missing so many obvious options. Mine would be
7) Stick with what I have now in m43 and also my mobile phone.

Not even "stick with what I have" is an option. I guess the originator is really trying to push us out! :rolleyes-38:

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A 100%er Panasonic fan. That’s cool with me. It’s all good! :)

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I'm in the "all is well" camp like several earlier posters here. I'm happy with my lens kit so that won't be impacted, and if a body fails I'll just buy used as long as that's practical.

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah, I’m not planning any sudden moves. All my bodies are Pannys, but the EM1-3 had me interested. It still does, and my thought had been to buy a used one in a year or so. Unless Panasonic releases a stills-focused camera that really impresses me, that’s still what I’ll likely do.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Yeah, I’m not planning any sudden moves. All my bodies are Pannys, but the EM1-3 had me interested. It still does, and my thought had been to buy a used one in a year or so. Unless Panasonic releases a stills-focused camera that really impresses me, that’s still what I’ll likely do.
Good strategy, but I can tell you it won’t be mine you find on the market :cool:

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Tell us more Joe! What happened?
I seen all your gear for sale, and thought woaaah!

Long story short, my gear has been back to Olympus half a dozen or so times in the last year. Nothing more than really really bad luck. Ironically the only piece of gear that has not needed fixing I bought from eBay. Olympus ended up replacing all the dud stuff for me, which is very good of them. But with the news, I am now debating if I switch to Sony or not and honestly still not made up my mind.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Long story short, my gear has been back to Olympus half a dozen or so times in the last year. Nothing more than really really bad luck. Ironically the only piece of gear that has not needed fixing I bought from eBay. Olympus ended up replacing all the dud stuff for me, which is very good of them. But with the news, I am now debating if I switch to Sony or not and honestly still not made up my mind.

Better try a Sony first.
My friends who have Sonys like the camera, but they say the UI "stinks."
I do not need to fight the camera when I use it, so I would not like a UI that "stinks."

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Better try a Sony first.

For what it's worth, my camera repair man who is very competent always says that Sony are the worst and most difficult/costly to repair.
He thinks Sony engineers make it on purpose so that people buy a new camera rather than have it repaired.
For my part, I don't know if his claims are true... I bought a NEX-6 once, disliked it, and resold it after a couple of months - I know I won't have another Sony.

And to answer the OP's question, I am very happy with my Panasonic and Canon cameras - they are distinct shooting experience one from the other as I have M43, APS-C and FF, electronic and optical VF, and I like it that way...

Last edited:
I'll keep the m43. But the new Nikon Z5 is looking enticing with every passing rumor. The latest rumor says its going to retain IBIS from Z6. I had Z6 before and can vouch it was rather good. But that's not all - Z5 is supposed to have dual SD cards over XQD which was another pain point whose benefits were lost on me. A single XQD card and reader would easily cost about 10-15% of the body cost. SD cards would just make it less expensive to "run".

Jim Mattison

Mu-43 Rookie
I just got into the Oly M43 system last Fall. I went with an EM5 ii for the ergonomics and the IBIS. I have been blown away at the photos I make with this camera; they have a certain something that I couldn't produce with the A6000; despite it having a bigger sensor.

I'm going to stick with my EM5 ii and PL2. I have enough OLY lenses to work with; along with a handful of Minolta Rokkors.

I'm guessing that Sony is attempting to wean consumers off it's APSC bodies; the rumored new offering is the A5 with FF sensor in an A6000 style body. No EVF and crippled features.

There's much speculation that Pentax and Nikon might be next to go; that sure would leave the options quite slim. Just hoping that the camera companies can ride it out a bit longer.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Haven’t read the thread, but can’t find the option “buy whatever m43 gear that I want no matter who produced it”.
I won’t go either “oly” first, or pana first.
I’ll just buy what I want as long as it’s sold.

When that breaks down.
Then a P&S.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Better try a Sony first.
My friends who have Sonys like the camera, but they say the UI "stinks."
I do not need to fight the camera when I use it, so I would not like a UI that "stinks."

That's my next stop. My friend owns lensesforhire.co.uk so I am going to get hold of some Sony gear ASAP to give it a try.

@cjoliprsf - that's interesting to know, thank you. But then my own experience with Olympus repair has been shockingly awful which many tell me is rare and just bad luck. So it's hard to really know until you go through the experience.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
[x] Maintaining my course

I shoot Leica M first and a small Panasonic kit as second. This is not likely to change.

Latest threads

Top Bottom