The switch

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jessestr, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Hi all :)

I'm new to these forums.. I'll try to keep it short.

I am a young photographer who is mainly shooting personal work with models. Can find my work on www.jessestr.be
    Currently shooting a Leica M6 & Rolleiflex 3.5B

I switched to film in January and never had anything digital again. I owned a Fuji X10, Nex-5, Canon 7D, Leica M8 in the digital world. Finally traded my M8 for a film M6 and never looked back.
    As I still like film over digital I want to extend my portfolio with commercial things like fashion and editorial shoots. I feel I need a digital camera again for this matter as I want to shoot a lot more and with film it's doable but just so expensive.

First idea was a Canon/Nikon fullframe with a Zeiss Planar f1.4 / 50mm but kinda came out expensive. And huge in terms of size.
    I always liked the M43 system or crop systems like the Fuji X-T1 (But they don't really have the lenses I need).

So my point.. Is the M43 system good enough to handle the needs for fashion/editorial photography. Depth of field, sharpness, ISO, ..
    I like the Olympus OM-D series A LOT. The lenses seem so fine and all the focal lengths I need.. I'm just a bit bothered with the bokeh and depth of field issue because of such a small sensor.
    Don't be mad at me for that, I'm used to big negatives which give me creamy smooth bokeh with my current lenses. Although most shots in fashion are not made wide open. But sometimes I will need the smaller DOF.

I'm seriously doubting about selling the M6 with my lenses and buy the OM-D system. So I can still shoot my personal work on the Rolleiflex and the other work on a digital camera.

Just need to be convinced about the M43 system. It looks good... but is it? Shouldn't I go fullframe?

A huge thanks :)!

2. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Why not try renting an OMD setup to give it a try before buying?

I came from a Canon system (5D MK II and a number of L-glass) and dumped that only because my needs were different. I backpack a lot and wanted to shed some weight. I have not looked back. But with that said, you will not experience the same beautiful bokeh and depth of field that you do with your other setup. I can't speak to your setup (no experience with that), but I do know what I used to get with my Canon and what I get with an E-M5 or E-M1 - it's not the same. But my needs are different - I shoot primarily landscapes.

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Best bet is to rent one and try it out firsthand to see if it meets your needs.

I also own a 5D Mk.II and will be keeping a full frame around as it suits a different need that I'm still not comfortable with m43 fulfilling.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Look for samples of the Olympus 75/1.8 or the Nocticron 42.5/1.2, these are probably the best lenses of the system. The Voigtlander 42.5/0.95 could be another option. As you probably already know you need two stops less on the aperture to get the same DOF of the 35mm.

This is what you can expect with the "humble" Oly 45/1.8:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/30743-m4-3-portrait-set-up-hail-45-1-8-a.html

The Panasonic 25/1.4 is another one to look for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I haven't been able to borrow the 42.5mm to do out of store testing but I find it to be a very good lens and comparable to the Fujifilm 56mm, Amin did a great 4 way test between M43 42.5mm, Fujifilm 56mm, FF Canon and Nikon 85mm.

I borrowed the 56mm and this was wide open, blue light from the TV and yellowy-red light from the loungeroom lamp.

http://imgur.com/LmQsDSS

so if you feel that the 45mm f1.8 isn't cutting the mustard for your bokeh cravings then the 75mm or 42.5mm might be your choice..

Vincent is a fellow m43 user and takes great portrait photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/

and Max

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomax/

a personal favourite that he took and that was with the 25mm f1.4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotomax/13609954443/

6. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014

Thanks. Especially Max pictures show me more of what the M43 system can do. Looks promising.
    I don't know much about crop things. So if I shoot with a 25mm f1.4. Will I have face distortion due to the wide angle of the lens?

Thanks

Jesse

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    m43 is a great system and I personally like the OM-D series too...working the EM5 and the 17/45 1.8 primes as my main lenses.

However, I am not at a point in my professional career where I can trust my entire workload to an m43 system(or a Fuji X system for that matter - and I've tried).

I still use my full frame gear for all my professional needs.

If you want a great bang for the buck - it is hard to beat a Nikon D700 and a series of great primes or the pro zooms.
    If you want an upgrade from that with the D4/D4s sensor but not the 6k price tag, look into the Nikon Df. I purchased one and have come to the conclusion that it is my favorite camera I have ever used.

8. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Distorsion comes from your distance to the subject, not the absolute focal length of the lens. Since a 25mm lens on a MFT camera is equivalent, in terms of angle of view, to a 50mm lens on a FF camera, you will be at the same distance to the subject to frame the shot in a similar way, and therefore perspective distorsions will be the same.

If the whole "equivalence" thing is not clear to you yet, don't hesitate to read DPR's guide for equivalence. I think it's pretty comprehensible and neutral, in a way that it just tries to demonstrate what this all means and not push you towards one system or another.

Of course we are only talking about perspective distorsion here, not lens distorsion which have to do with the design of the lens. Based on Photozone's test of this particular lens, lens distorsion should not be noticeable in your shots.

9. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I say: rent an OM-D and both the Summilux 25/1.5 and the Nokton 25/.095 and make an informed decision. I wouldn't expect you to be disappointed, but I don't know what all your expectations are.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Just out of curiosity, was the very adaptable Sony a7 considered for your need at any point? With a cheep adapter you could probably use all your existing film camera lenses till you build an AF stable for it.

11. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks for all the responses.

And yes the A7 was considered. But the lenses aren't in my taste, such as the Fuji X serie. Love the camera's but hate the lenses. And I tried the manual focus.. I just prefer a real rangefinder for manual focusing. And not focus peaking;

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I Do understand that the Native E-mount lens stable is far less than desirable but you are forgetting the auto-focus lens adapters. Both the Canon EF and the Minolta/Sony A mount adapters which provide fast and full automatic control with an adapter you have access to Fantastic Array of lenses Including very affordable second hand Minolta and Konica/Minolta lenses. Yes that makes the lenses used much larger than the native E-mounts but you see, overall its still smaller and lighter than any other.

Also I am not sure how to recommend anything really, since we talk as if prices of things are no object. The only thing that has been discussed to mater is size and weight and having high quality AF lenses available .. well for that criteria there is no question that the Sony A7 with LA-E4 will work , and as more quality E-mount lenses become available you can eventually give up the LA-E4

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

SO, OP , what did you end up doing?