1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The sweet moment

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by oto02, Jan 20, 2014.

1. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Hi guys,

Just finished a two days session of commercial photography.
    A couple of my friends, asked me to help them out as a photographer, they have a cake shop.
    After I arrived at the premises and installed all the gear (flashes, background, stands, tripods, camera lenses) I showed them the way I thought it would be good to take photos of their products - cakes.
    There was no way to convince them to take pics with lower aperture to give a nice bookeh. They wanted to have the whole cake in focus from a VERY commune and boring angle - arguing that is what the costumers want. No comment.
    What I want to underline here is not always what you how you think is the way to do it, you have to do what the client asks you to do. But what if you don't like it and is not your cup of tea?
    I took the photos that they wanted and of course I took some for myself - to please me as well.

Here are the examples : first ones are the "better ones" and then the ones as requested.

http://www.otophotography.com/Add/Commercial

Any c&c more than welcome.

Cheers

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Actually I quite like the 'boring' cake shots - although that may just be because I'm a fan of repetitive series of photographs (à la Bernd and Hilla Becher). Personally I think they're a little dark for my tastes (haha!) but perhaps that's what the client ordered? Depends on what was the intended use for the photos. The first set might be better for a fancy flier or something, while the second set might be more useful if all they wanted was just a plain old menu.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Even the boring ones are pretty good images. Do they want the high DoF shots because the customers what to know what the cakes look like before they buy them?

4. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    They wanted the photos for their upcoming patisserie website menu. And yes that's correct they wanted high dof because of the costumers, but whatever is in the front part of the cake's top is the same all around.

5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I think all the photos are very nice and well done. However, I tend to agree with the customers on this one. I have been frustrated looking at websites trying to decide what to purchase and the photos were done in an "artsy" way. As a customer I wanted to see the whole product as best as I could when buying from a picture.

6. Your Funny Uncle

Your Funny Uncle Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    Well... I'd say that they're quite probably right in terms of illustrative photos for the menu, BUT they should be using your shallow DOF shots as part of the rest of the website design, for example as the backdrops to page headers or as part of the front page. Horses for courses and all that...

7. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Wow. I really, really want some cake now. :). Your client must have been right.