The 'Stan

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by medavid2, Apr 16, 2013.

1. medavid2

medavid2 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    I'm a beginner that just received my GF5 and still learning how to shoot with it. Here are a couple of my first shots. Shot with the Panasonic 14mm pancake. Resized in order to upload via microsoft paint. :smile:

Afghan_RTB.

Taking_a_Picture.JPG

2. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    firstly, big thank you to you and all the other troops for all that you do.

secondly, that 1st photo is kick ass.

stay safe!!

3. medavid2

medavid2 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks for the support! I tried to reuploaded a slightly bigger picture of the first image in my gallery, but it hasn't refreshed on my post.

The patrolmen that we work with are pretty awesome and I was happy to have been able to capture that moment.

I'm still (slowly) learning to use the camera. One of the issues that I have is overexposure, especially with color photos. I will try to upload more periodically (and hopefully show some progress).

4. medavid2

medavid2 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Boss1.JPG

Guess who's in charge?

Mountains1.JPG

5. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    i'd say you're off to good start. in terms of not blowing the skies out, exposure compensation and/or a neutral density filter will be your friend.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 :2thumbs: :th_salute:

7. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    One suggestion--turn on the histogram display on your camera. That'll give you immediate feedback on your exposure, and you can the use the exposure compensation function to adjust. It seems like a lot of extra finger movements at first, but it quickly becomes automatic.

Keep posting!

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I just want to know which one of you is named Stan...

Great first shots. The first one posted in particular works well.

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Thanks for the pictures. More images of your daily life in "the 'Stan" would be appreciated. Unless I'm not looking hard enough, we don't get to see a lot of pictures of our soldiers just living their lives while serving .

10. medavid2

medavid2 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Caimi, I haven't posted pictures with US Soldiers because I haven't asked the guys on my team if they mind and for OPSEC (operational security) reasons. I'll probably post one here and there, but I'll probably do a dump when we go back to the States.

You'll see a lot of Afghans in my pictures because of our mission as a SFAAT (security forces advise and assist team). Honestly, I'm very thankful to be given this mission and it has been very rewarding at times.

A couple months ago a NYT reporter came and did a story on our counterparts. Here's the story that he published. He has some great pictures in the slideshow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/world/asia/afghan-army-learning-to-fight-on-its-own.html?_r=1&

We work with the "burly" Afghan almost every day and he is truly larger than life (both his physique and his personality).

11. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    medavid2,

Thanks for the link.

12. TDP

TDP Guest

nice shots, thanks for posting and for being there.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum David. I too thank you for your service. Without Americans like yourself, Americans willing to take great risks and make immeasurable sacrifices, we would most likely have 'Boston Marathons' every week.

God Bless you Guys and Gals.

Take Care,
    Gary

PS- This is a forum of knowledgable people who will help you at every step. The GF5 is a good little camera, combined with the 14mm ... it becomes great package with a lot of punch.
    G