The Speed Booster / Focal Reducer image thread

sweln

New to Mu-43
Hello all! I'm Sweln from France.

Reading all your posts has been very informative and thank you all for sharing so much information!
I have a few specific questions, I hope to find answers here :)

I'm considering on acquiring a Metabones Speedbooster XL x0.64 + Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 in order to have an alternative to the Olympus Pro primes.

Most of the time I use a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 with my trusty Olympus OMD EM5 MkI and it's about time to "level up".
I also have the 12mm f2.0, 45mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8 macro, 75mm f1.8 and the 14-150mm f4.0-5.6.

However I feel very confortable using the 20mm f1.7 because of the focal length!
I found it the right focal length to do about anything : people, streets, food, stuff on the table, concerts... you name it (banding is terrible though at iso 3200 with the OMD EM5 + 20mm f1.7).
I was thinking on purchasing either the Olympus 17mm f1.2 or the 25mm f1.2, but if a big zoom + speedbooster can do about the same and display all 28-35-40-50mm focal range and about the same aperture, it's a win!

So I'd love to have something more versatile and with more light gathering then my 20mm f1.7, zooming would also help change a bit the way I shoot a scene and especially for more out of focus rendering. I'm used to the slow AF of the 20mm f1.7, so as long as it can autofocus right, I'm happy with it.

I have found videos of film makers that use that combination but no accurate information on stills with such a setup.
I will be using either an Olympus OMD EM1 MkII or a Panasonic G9 - and only for photography.
I know that the Metabones Speedbooster (XL and Ultra) won't work with my old Olympus OMD EM5 MkI.

- I'm concerned about the vignetting at 18mm with the SpeedBooster XL x0.64.
Can anyone upload a picture with the setup (of a wall)? This will show exactly how the vignetting behaves at 18mm when taking a photo, not filming.
If there is just some vignetting in the corners at 18mm, cropping into something like 16/9 image format would keep the wideness of the 18mm and still be very usable for landscapes.

- It would be also great to have a comparison with the SpeedBooster Ultra x0.71 - Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 for the vignetting issue.

- I'm also concerned about the sharpness of such a setup. How does it compare against a normal m4/3 prime? Stack sharp or a bit soft?
I can't find any precise tests of the setup. Only videos that display 1080p imagery and with cropped sensors or cropped photographs that have got rid of the vignetting.

- Last question: what is the benefit of using a Metabones Speedbooster for Nikon mount against the Canon mount version - in the idea to use the Sigma 18-35mm and maybe the Sigma 50-100mm?

Thank you for all that have managed to read all of this!

PS : has anyone tried to use the Tamron 18-400mm f3.5-6.3 with a SpeedBooster?

Last edited:

Orionwest

Mu-43 Regular
Photo taken with Olympus M1 MK II, Kipon OM to M4/3 Focal Reducer. and Tokina 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 (49-147mm f/2.45-3.15)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WT21

Super Moderator
Here's one with my Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f1.4, with speed booster becoming 41mm f1.0, an obvious choice for portraiture. Shooting portraits with this thin DOF is quite difficult especially combined with manual focus.

View attachment 522949
Sunny dispostition by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr
Vincent - I looked at all your photostream links. You are a master. I see you haven't logged in since December. Hope you return and share more someday soon.

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Vincent - I looked at all your photostream links. You are a master. I see you haven't logged in since December. Hope you return and share more someday soon.
Vincent has injured his hands, saw it on his IG story other day. Likely the reason for not sharing much. Hope to see him back soon too.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I'm considering on acquiring a Metabones Speedbooster XL x0.64… with my trusty Olympus OMD EM5 MkI
Careful, it might not work properly.

I don't believe the 0.64 line is recommended with the OM-D line. Something about sensor clearance, I think.

Before you plunk money down, check the Metabones website and possibly their tech support.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom