1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Sigma f 2.8 30mm ART: The Nifty Thirty???

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JoFT, Sep 13, 2015.

1. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    As much as I share your enthusiasm for the Sigma 30mm Art (a lens that punches way above its weight in terms of its price-to-quality ratio), I think the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 (and the upcoming Panasonic 25mm f/1.7) qualify better as "nifty fifty" - their focal lengths are a better fit. And while the 30mm is a nice lens, it's not a lot smaller than the king of "normal" lenses for mFT, the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 ...

And if you're actually thinking about the Canon 50mm on a Canon APS-C body, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (or the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7) come closer in terms of focal length ... Again, not to quench your joy, just to clear up the facts.

I actually like the 30mm for its crispness and slightly tighter field of view - it's a nice alternative to wider primes for street work, and it renders quite similarly to the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, so it makes a good companion to that lens.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank you for your quote... I covered most ofthese points with my blog entry... I totally agree that the 1.7 42.5 will be closer from the optical parameters... But for me the price matters much more - for the "Nifty-fiftyness". And there is a big factor pricewise: 2x for the Oly and > 2x for the Pany... (which I have and love, too: http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/bl...-the-summilux-1-1-4-25mm-lens-on-the-lumix-g6)

And as written in my post: I will get the Sigma f2.8 60mm too. But due to my understanding this will deliver more booked but due to its focal lengths it will have less "useablity"...

3. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I know you covered most points in your blog post; it's just that the "nifty fifty" moniker, in my view, is actually pretty much reserved for the 50mm equivalent focal length - but never mind: This might be nit-picking in the eyes of most people, so I'll drop the matter here and now.

These minor issue aside, I agree that for the price, the 30mm is astonshingly good and useful in spite of its unusual focal length - though its size reveals that it was actually designed as an APS-C lens (for Sony E mount, initially). It's so reliable that I use it as the default lens on one of my mFT bodies.

And just as to confirm that you're onto something with the Sigma lenses: The 60mm performs even more convincingly than the 30mm!

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most of the people interested in a dirt cheap 50mm are using them on APS-C cameras, where it becomes 75-80mm equivalent. So I don't know if a 60mm equivalent lens is really the same thing. I'd say a used 45mm f1.8 is the nifty fifty.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I can see both sides of this.

50mm on 35mm is the normal angle of view. So the Sigma is not a nifty fifty at either 50mm or the 75-80mm on APS-C. But it does fall right about in the middle, has the almost cheap, and sharp covered of the Nikon and Canon 50mm. When I started the 50mm Nikon was a must have type of lens for BOTH of those reasons. Good enough and cheap enough that there really wasn't a reason not to have one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank you. For me this lens is a nice option, f.i. to give a camera for a photographic stage in school n combination with f.i. a G5...

7. tkbslc

19mm 2.8 would be a great budget option too. Wide normal vs long normal with the 30mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    I have the nifty fifty on my Canon 7d, and the Sigma 30 f2.8 and Sigma f2.8 for my em10. The Canon performs completely different than these others. It is a wonderful lens but it's a tricky lens. Not stabilized and a much shallower DOF than the Sigma on an M43 body makes it easy to miss a shot when shooting open. However it does have that wonderful blurred background that the 30 2.8 can't duplicate.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If you're primarily referring to the affordability of the traditional nifty fifty lenses, then I'd point to the Olympus 17mm f2.8 as being comparable: a very inexpensive yet fun to use lens with a ton of utility.

If focal length and aperture are more what you're referring to, the aforementioned Oly 25mm and forthcoming panny model are what I'd point to. Note that the panny is debuting at $250 on their website as well.

10. tkbslc

It's only cheap if you buy used. New, it costs as much as the 25mm f1.8 and I'd say that's a whole different class of lens.

If we want to talk used prices, we can start throwing lenses like the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f1.8 into the mix for $200-ish, so that's a whole different discussion I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Actually the regular prices on Olympus website are $299 for the 17mm and $399 for the 25mm. Though I agree, totally different caliber of lens.

Since $299 new from the manufacturers seems to be the starting point, the Sigmas look good at ~$229. But there are so many better ways for thrifty people to get these lenses at much cheaper prices... And I agree, the Panny 20mm should get mentioned as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank you i was considering thi lens, too. But the downside - even less bokeh - let me choose the 30mm...

13. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I compared it with European street prices, VAT incl. And here it starts @ 300€...

14. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Which other f2.8 you are using: 60 or 19mm? As mentioned in my blog entry: the "right" Nifty Fifty I will grab as well, hopefully today. I will use it on the 7D´s too, but on FF as well....

15. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    F2.8 is just too slow .... It looks like a great lens but is it any better that my 12-40 at f2.8 .... doubt it!

16. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It isn't - but it's way smaller, much lighter and loads cheaper. With the Olympus bodies, f/2.8 is bang within my comfort zone, using I.B.I.S.

But of course, if you're talking bokeh ... it's a bit of a different story. But we're in mFT land here, so for what it is, the 30mm f/2.8 performs quite nicely.

M.

17. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

The reason the moniker 'Nifty Fifty' has become so popular (and I'm talking about the name not the lens) is the appealing alliteration.

I suggest something like 'Thrifty Thirty' would be a better nickname for the Sigma 30mm F2.8 prime.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I've basically retired my 30mm lens after getting the Panasonic 20mm and Sigma 60mm. The two of them better cover my uses for them to the degree that it isn't worth the energy for me to take one of them off and use the 30mm instead.

That said, for about 18 months, the 30mm was my go-to lens. It's really nice for portraits, but still wide enough for general usage.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    It's 1/5 of the cost new, less than half the weight and nearly 50% smaller. The point of "nifty fifty" lenses was never that they were the best performers. There will always be something better.

With that being said, I also think 2.8 is too slow to be considered a nifty fifty equivalent lens. One of the big selling points of that range of lens would be that it's very fast compared to the price.