The Sigma 19 and 30, I think I might like

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgocoyote, Feb 18, 2012.

1. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    The announced Sigma lenses are quite odd for m4/3 cameras. The 19 will have an especially hard time situated between the Oly 17 and Panny 20.

One thing the Sigmas may have going for them is if they have fast and silent AF. The small blurbs on the Sigma sight seem to indicate such. In that manner, they may be good for video at least.

I think the 30mm might not be too bad though. An odd focal length of course, but at 60mm equivalent its sort of light a long normal. Which is no different from the Panasonic being a short normal. I saw the price listed as 199 on Adorama so it's not terribly expensive either.
    I could see buying one for use in video when I want something with a fairly flat looking perspective that is not so tightly cropped like with my Oly 45mm
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The lenses were designed for the Sony NEX and just modified to fit m43. But still better to have two more options than not. Sigma makes very nice lenses than tend to work very well. The 19mm is close enough in size to the 20mm to give it competition although it is slower but if it is cheaper it might be a good alternative. The 30mm is a size all to itself and so might be the perfect fit between the 20mm and the 45mm? It is also a very affordable lens at $200.
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    actually the 30 looks good. my favorite macro FL is a 60mm.
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If the 30 were a macro I'd be vert interested . But I dont see much valie in a slow normal lems. I'd rather pay more and the the 20 1.7.
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I was considering picking up an NEX C3 with 16mm kit prime just for the fun of trying something new... especially since the price has dropped to $499. NEX users tell me the camera is fine but the lens is rather disappointing. These two new Sigma primes could keep my NEX interest live... especially if they go for $200 each. I really don't care about them much for micro four thirds because the system now has quite a number of worthy lenses from both Panasonic and Olympus.