1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The shy ISO 100, and its southern neighbours

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by laser8, Oct 16, 2013.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I did a bit of search but could find no answer - so sorry of this topic has already been largely discussed, please point me in the right direction.

Can someone explain me (in plain terms, please...) why on m43 we can't go lower than ISO 160, other than by some underexposure and subsequent lifting, as I understand the PEN5 does?

Even my LX5 had ISO 80, and low ISOs can be quite useful with larger apertures in daylight (I rarely venture behind f8, except for macro work).

2. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    "200" is the base ISO of Sony sensors by the looks of it. (For whatever they decide "200" means). My E-PL1 will let me choose ISO 100 but I think it is really still ISO 200 with exposure compensation applied.

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    EPL1 has a Panasonic sensor in it, don't know if G1 has ISO100; later Panasonic models have ISO 160 while Olympus have ISO 200 with probably the same sensor, but even Panasonic has got slightly better DR at ISO 200 than 160, I'd say the Panasonic sensor's base ISO is 200 too

• Like Like x 1
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    From what I understand, its difficult to optimise a sensor for both low iso's and high iso's.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The Full Explanation

• Like Like x 1
  6. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    GF1 base ISO is 100, which is awesome when combined with a sunny day and a max 1/4000 shutter speed.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Same with the G1, same sensor. But to the earlier comment, although it did 100, it didn't do well above 800!

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    as we believe all the later 12mp models from panasonic use the same sensor, why is there a difference with the lowest ISO? I don't get it

marketing strategy maybe????

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    At some point (introduction of the e-pL2) Olympus stopped offering the "fake" ISO 100 ... for no reason at all, and it serves to cripple their Jpeg users like me, or anyone using ISO-bracket in daylight. (Maybe Panasonic did something similar, maybe not, I do not know. I only have three Lumix bodies.)
    With the e-P5 Olympus has reintroduced the LOW ISO which they shouldn't have removed in the first place.
    RAW users are at no disadvantage with either.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    As a general answer, it seems the market as a whole is much more interested in ISO 3200, 6400, and higher than in low ISOs, so that's what sensor manufacturers and camera makers are optimizing for. Being able to brag, in advertising, about ISO 25,000 is, apparently, much more important to sales than ISO 100, or 50. Even if no one will actually use those super high ISOs.

11. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    True. I can't think of too many situations where I needed an ultra high ISO after getting the EM5, but I sure do miss the ISO 100 of my old GF1 that I sold. I suppose with Lightroom and the Noise Ninja plugin for photoshop I don't really NEED it, but it would save me a lot of time in the end. Seeing as the GF-1 has no other benefits (besides nostalgia) over the newer cameras, I can't see myself buying one again. I almost did, but I think I would rather put that $100 towards the new Nocticron or something.

12. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    This is exactly where I was heading. Latest Pana sensor - all talk about the improvements in high ISO. Ok , and some very welcome DR.

Do you think there is a higher treshold in getting lower ISOs than higher ones? I think there may be some tecnical reason behind...

13. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    100% agree.

When I shot film, the fastest film I used was ISO 400...and I was still able to shoot indoors and in 'challenging' environments. It's not like 25 years has passed and there has been a logarithmic decrease in ambient light.

I guess this is also one of the reasons that I can't seem to let go of my Olympus E-1 - at base ISO (100), it produces amazing pictures - at least to my eye.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not an expert on sensor design by any means, but I don't think it's any harder to optimize for low ISO than high. I just think it's hard to do both, and high-ISO is perceived as more important right now.

15. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

My Sony SLT A57 if I am not mistaken has a base ISO of 100, same goes for my G2, while the GF3 is a base of 160. Not sure what the NEX base is, but the A7 and A7r both base at 200. Really, odd how they do it.