1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The shooting experience between Olympus, Panasonic and Fujifilm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ramirez, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    When you read my signature, you know which cameras and lenses I use.

This morning I went out for a walk, I took my Olympus OM-D E-M5 with me and the m.Zuiko 12-50.

I must say that I love the Oly system, the menus (even if many don´t like them). I love the way you shoot with the OM-D. To me the Olympus way is easier to use, just shoot; but my first DSLR was Olympus E-510 - so I'm used to Olympus.

For me the Panasonic way is more complicated (GH3) to just use. I love my GH3 (with all it's features) but it isn't as easy (as Olympus) to just go and shoot. More configurations to think about. But I haven´t been using the GH3 for long. I still love the GH3 and I believe that you can grow with it when you use it more and more.

Fujifilm X cameras are really easy to understand and use. With all the dedicated dials etc. Just grab and go.

What do you, fellow members, prefer? Olympus or Panasonic shooting experience? (Fujifilm X cameras included in this question too) - For stills only - not video experience!

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    want to try out the new X-T1 though see what its like nice set of primes really :)

I am used to shooting FF mostly canon and now nikon 1 series 5 series D600 and D700 and D4 D3 have shot mosts of them but the e-m5 was fun the e-m1 is what is should have been
    only panny I shot are small M4/3 ones not the GH series ? also have some pens but old original ones :)

I can say out of all my pro gear the only camera gets used around the house are the M4/3 and when we go out to park or whatever only camera I take is my OLY setup

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'm used to my E-M5 now, but I remember feeling that my GX1 (as well as G3, GH2, GF1 and G5, at various points before that) was more straight-forward to use. If it weren't for the features of the E-M5, I would not have enjoyed the switch. I've got an X-T1 on pre-order to try out, but haven't used a Fuji yet, so I can't comment about them.

4. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    When it comes right down to it, I prefer the handling/controls of my x-e1. But I learned on a K1000, and used an FM and FE for a long time, and that probably has a lot to do with it.
    But I also use and like my d7000 and e-m5 for when weather or lens/flash selection is an issue. But Fuji has also been pretty great when it comes to adding features in addition to improving/correcting performance and operational issues with firmware updates.

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I used to own Canon gear and the movement to Panasonic was dead easy. I think both are easy to use, and I generally don't need to look at the manual for new cameras from either system. I bought an Olympus E-PL5 a while ago to use as my 'travel' camera, which means I don't use it all the time, but I find it a constant frustration when I do use it. I can never work out how to do what I want to, and I find the Olympus controls and menus to be counter-intuitive. So my vote clearly goes to Panasonic.

6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I only used an E-M5 for a few minutes, thanks to a local m43 user meeting up with me :smile: but unfortunately did not feel comfortable at all in my hands. Tried the E-M1 on Sunday at B&H here in NYC and that too did not feel comfortable. The E-PM2 handles poorly due to the small size, but my wife enjoys using it. However, my previous E-PL2 felt great and my new E-P5 feels even better in my hands.

Menu wise, as long as I have SCP activated I'm good to go on my Olympus cameras. However, many folks have said that the Panasonic menus are easier and straight forwards to use.

As for Fuji, I love the feel and handling of both my X-PRO1 and X100S. I can press the Q button and get almost everything I need.
    My X-T1 will be here later today, so hopefully that feels as nice as my X-PRO1, X100S and E-P5!

7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Panasonic I've shot LX3, FZ28, G1, GH2 and starting on GM1. Olympus just the E-M5. And Canon DSLRs in the past too.

I've tended to find the cameras themselves to be the larger factor between Olympus and Panasonic. And over time each has slowly filled in the gaps in their UIs. Both have pluses and minuses. I'd say so far the E-M5 has been my favorite with the dual dials and extensive customization. The SCP is an excellent implementation as well. However, the GH2 had finally gotten around to a lot of customization and reading reviews and playing with the GM1 for just a few hours now it seems Panasonic has gone even further in that regard. So at this point I can't say I've found anything specifically better or worse that I can attribute to shooting experience with Olympus vs. Panasonic. Both have some shortcomings and both have improved over time.

The Fujis look really interesting to me and I was this close to trying out that system in just the past couple of days. In the end I decided the more practical and less expensive itch to scratch would be the GM1. I think I would very much enjoy the Fuji interface having come from a lot of manual cameras in the distant past. But I don't have direct experience.

Keeping in mind all camera systems have been improving over time so this is a bit out of date, but I was so surprised when I first started to use a G1 just how much better the very first m43 camera UI was compared to the Canon 400D I was shooting at the time. Panasonic got so much right on the first try and it really showed up how stagnant Canon was. At least that was my take.

8. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I started M43 with Panny. Really loved GH2 with all the nice levers. I learned to love OLY Em - 5 because the munues are more logical . You can easily drill down to what you want. The Panny has tons of choices in no logical order so you have to look at all of them to find what you want. The Panny touch focal point wants to wander all over the place and the Oly is much superior in this area. You can turn off the touch screen on the Panny then you have to go to the menu to get anything done. Oly quick menu much easier to use, Center focus stays where you put it. Panny has built in internal flash while Oly has strap on flash. Oly movie mode hunts on autofocus. EM-1 takes care of this problem. Panny movie mode better in most cases. Oly EM 1 has far better optical viewfinder than GX-7 but got hood for GX-7 which improves it a lot.

9. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I think it's what you started with which seems "right".

I started with the GF1, which feels right to me. As a consequence I have never found the Oly screen layout (info along the sides) nor the Oly multi-layer menus to be right. I even like the pannasonic quick-menu better than the olympus SCP. To me it's more visual (the way it walks you around the screen's visible settings) and quicker to enter since it has a dedicated button on my camera.

10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I have tried the first three incarnations of the Pen Lite line, and the E-PL3 has stayed with me the longest (which I still own). I am very familiar with the handling and the SCP, and the swivel screen does wonders to composition. It is a little slippery to handle, and by that I mean it is not too secure. I've thought of adding a grip, but it's grip vs. added bulk (and cost), so I'm fine. The E-PL2 feels much more solid in the hands.

I had a brief fling with the G3 after the E-PL1. I loved the articulating screen though sometimes I tended to put it at weird angles. (Maybe to much freedom. LOL) I originally got it for the EVF though, and the protrusion of the EVF far outweighed the benefit of the EVF for me. Plus for me personally Panasonic had some weird WB problems I cannot overcome, so I ditched it and stayed away from Panny bodies ever since. I mean, why stretch myself when I was perfectly happy with Oly outputs, right?

I've tried the Fuji X10, loved it. I love the solid feel in your hands, the skin tones were perfect, the built-in flash was (and still is) one of the best I've seen, performance-wise. Heck, even how you power it on was very nice. However, at that time I cannot keep two cameras, so the m43 stayed and the X10 had to go. But it left a very good impression on me, and I told myself I'd keep an eye out on Fuji. When the X-E1 came out I bit, and positively overjoyed. A little laggy, but the output outweighed the cons. (Plus I was perfectly comfortable even with the E-PL1/2 + Panny 20 AF speed, so ...) But again, I realized I can't keep two interchangeable lens systems (that would be financial suicide), so I traded the X-E1 with an X100s, and finally found contentment, or at least some semblance to it. :smile: The X100s is similar to the other Fujis as far as handling and feel is concerned, plus the Q button very similarly functions like the SCP, so it wasn't hard to adjust. The OVF/EVF is a joy to use, and the files are really great. Plus it is a looker - I've got a lot of inquiries from strangers, which never happened before. They think I'm too young to be shooting film (which I'm not - I've been using cameras before digital). :biggrin:

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm no expert and cannot comment personally, but my reading of expert reviews suggests the opposite of yours, Ramirez. They seem to be saying that the Olympus menu system is not as easy to just walk up to and use.

I'm actually starting to tire of Oly vs Pana threads, although I suppose they are endlessly fascinating to shoppers -- the ones with open minds.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    As had been said, a lot depends on what you start with and hence what you're used to. I can adapt to any menu system eventually, so that's really not a big factor in my purchasing decisions.

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Question for Fuji users. I have X100 and files seem a bit soft compared to m43 but less harsh and less digital. Is this true for the whole X system or just the X100?

14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    As long as I can set the file to raw, access iso levels with a button push or two, put it in Aperture priority and can alter the aperture and exposure comp I am good to go. I will go in to the menus once to set up all the stuff like noise reduction to off no sharpening if they alter the Raw file in some way and then use. Once set up (I look through the manual) no camera has been hard to work, some feel more fluid than others but I have no issues with either Panasonic or Oly in use. There are outliers though large format cameras are obviously a dog to use but the results are out of this world.

15. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    You didn't really provide much information with your question did you?
    Are you taking jpeg or raw?
    Did you change your custom settings as in NR, sharpness, etc?

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've never understood why reviewers say that the Olympus controls/menus are difficult to use. If the Super Control Panel (SCP) is enabled (which it's not for all models), everything that you might possibly want to change while shooting is on the screen, easily accessible and changeable. With the likes of the O-MD models, that's further enhanced with the on-screen visibility of settings as well. I often wonder if the reviewers haven't discovered the SCP.

• Like Like x 2
  17. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I doubt that the reviewers haven't discovered SCP. It might be because Olympus made it hard to actually activate the SCP?

18. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm persevering with the em5 but really I find the Panasonic ergonomic experience more straightforward and I can get in the zone more quickly. If Panasonic comes up with a decent ibis that works with video too I'll probably ditch the oly. I have had some good shoots with the oly though and it's great build quality and smooth shutter sound do help to make the shooting experience pleasurable.

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Jpeg, provia . No changes.

20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I got the E-M5 a year ago. It felt a little weird in the hand at first, but now it feels "normal". Yes, the menus are difficult to grasp at first. But the sharpness and colors are just so good!
    As stated above, when the SCP panel is activated, it becomes simple to alter the most oft-changed settings.