The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago 2-22-19

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven
The Shedd was free for Illinois residents on Friday, and so my buddy and I went to check it out. Took all of these photos with my EM-1 and the Olympus 25mm f1.8. I was shooting through glass most of the time, but I was surprised with how well these came out.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Balinov

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Balazs
Great set, thanks for sharing.

Do you mind me asking what was your keeper rate? I do own the em1mk1, but only have f/2.8 lenses and the last few times I tried aquarium I've only got a few keeper due to blure.. Also if you were using MF or af?

Enoch

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Enoch Haven
Great set, thanks for sharing.

Do you mind me asking what was your keeper rate? I do own the em1mk1, but only have f/2.8 lenses and the last few times I tried aquarium I've only got a few keeper due to blure.. Also if you were using MF or af?
Keeper rate was pretty good, 50 percent or more. I culled images mostly for the position of the fish. Only used single point auto focus. Focus worked great with the 25mm f1.8. I think the extra light from a prime would help you a lot. The 25mm was all I used there. I mostly shot in shutter speed priority with auto ISO. A sufficiently high shutter speed is the biggest factor in getting sharp pictures with moving fish. Also getting the lens as close as possible to the glass helps eliminate glare (cupping your hand around the lens can help too) . I did notice that there was significant blurry distortion in some shots when I was shooting through the glass at an angle. Keeping the sensor parallel to the glass seemed to yield the best results.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your 'shooting through glass' technique is working superbly. Very impressive shots for an aquarium.

I liked the first blue jellyfish. That one stands out.

junkyardsparkle

haunted scrap heap
Focus worked great with the 25mm f1.8. I think the extra light from a prime would help you a lot.
I would agree. Those kinds of scenes are darker than they tend to look to your eye when viewing from typically dark-ish viewing areas, it's easy to overestimate the light.
Also getting the lens as close as possible to the glass helps eliminate glare (cupping your hand around the lens can help too) .
Rubber lens hoods are great for this... particularly the old "wide-angle" kind you can find on ebay.

I love the pig-nose turtle! I spent about ten minutes trying to get a similar shot of one of those with my XZ-1 five years ago... it kept making the same circuit of the tank, passing very close to the glass, and I had to pan the shot due to the proximity and wanting to use a 1/50s shutter... eventually got a keeper. It was an interesting study in iterative learning. :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom