The Shard, London, as taken from my bedroom window

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jamespetts, Mar 7, 2016.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The Shard, London's tallest building, is visible from quite a distance away, especially in East London, where the flat terrain and mostly low-rise buildings give very good visibility of very tall structures in central London.

Although I live over 8 miles out of central London, I can see the Shard from my bedroom window, especially at night when it is clearly illuminated both from within and by bright red marker lights.

This week-end just past, I hired the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 and 2x teleconverter for taking pictures of birds, and thought that it would be a splendid opportunity to capture the view from my bedroom window.

Because of the layout of the bay window in my bedroom, setting up the camera was a little awkward:

[​IMG]The photograph from my bedroom window by James Petts, on Flickr

One problem was how easy that it is to get something in front of the lens and not notice except for a reduction in overall contrast. I did, however, manage to get a good photograph of it, using my mobile telephone as a shutter release:

[​IMG]The Shard by James Petts, on Flickr

I rather like the contrast between the brightly lit, tall, modern building, and the silhouetted outlines of the Edwardian terraced houses before it.
    • Like Like x 4