The same G.A.S. happen every end of year, how is your feel?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Halaking, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I got G.A.S. big time every end of year, those promotions start from Black Friday to X'mas just keep coming..., so far I didn't buy anything yet, but checking deals few times a day and afraid miss big deal that I always want is kind of silly, at the end, there isn't any fun at all. I'm wishing get well soon!

Please share your G.A.S.:biggrin:
  2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I seem to have GAS all year around but was breaking' wind especially hard this past week: bought an EOS 6D, EF 40 2.8 pancake and Tascam DR-40 (audio recorder). Not that I'm neglecting my M43 gear as since October I managed to score an Oly 45 1.8, Sigma 60 2.8 and Lumix 45-150. I think I'll rest now, at least until January...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been pretty good all year. One big purchase funded when I sold a car and pretty much that's it. Lately I've been lusting for a Leica Monochrom. Somewhere back there is a Sony A7 that's screaming at me too. I've also been searching for a cheap E-PL1 as well but no more than $100USD (I came close.... $110USD via an Ebay counter offer but the fellow took down the item before I can respond with a purchase)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Picked up a x100s to add as a smaller, carry around body to my E-M1 with 12-40 zoom. Ended up selling it and picking up a GX7 with 20 1.7 instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm being really, really good - I've put the 20mm on my E-M5 and am pursing the "one body, one lens" style.

That being said the Fuji X20 is a hundred bucks off right now with a free 16gb card at B&H

and I've considered one as a "walk about" rig.

I can't pretend it would be to "improve my photography"; it wouldn't. And, to be honest, I don't "walk about" all that much. So the deal will most likely pass me by.

And I have several lenses in my Amazon wish list - but the only one that would actually improve my arsenal is the 100-300mm. A terrific lens to take to the local zoo - but this year I only went to the zoo one time. Traditionally I've spent a fair number of days at the zoo taking photos but those days may be over - thus negating the need for the 100-300mm lens.

So G.A.S. is minimal for me right now :2thumbs:.

And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :biggrin:.

Interesting to see what others are getting, tho.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Great! nice outcome.

The Sony RX10 is selling @adorama for $937, compare $1,250-1,300 everywhere, the 24-200mm 2.8 my heart is pumping.
  7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Lens equiv 28-200mm
    Sensor 13mm x 9mm
    Weight 813g
    LxWxH 1160 cc
    $ 1,300

G5 with 14-140 OIS

Lens equiv 28-280mm
    Sensor 17mm x 13mm
    Weight 400 + 265 = 665g
    LxWxH 1330 cc
    $ 350 + 700 = $ 1,050

Even at $940 for RX10 the G5 compares very well!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    In the last two months is really bad. Gave in and ordered an EM-1 and snowballed from there with legacy glass, then film bodies, even an ETRsi.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    My G.A.S. for camera stuff has been low the last six months, other than an FL-14 & FL-300R refurbished flashes. I think 300R is going up on ebay as haven't used off camera much & too tall looking on camera. The 25mm f1.4 spell was declined because I like more dof, not less. Having gone thru G.A.S. with my former Minolta & Sony stuff, no 10 lenses & only use 3 in a year kind of thing with m4/3. E-M5, 14-42 & 45-175, FL-14, 46mm close-up filters is enough.
  10. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    That's a good comparison but there's two things you didn't mention that are big pluses for the Sony:

Constant 2.8 aperture
    Weather sealing.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My E-P5 purchase earlier this year put me over budget into early 2014, so no money for GAS this year.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had a GAS for a new compact, m4/3 body like the GX1, or E-PM2(well any newer sensored m4/3 camera), but I bought an underwater housing for the GF3 over the summer so it makes a newer camera purchase harder.
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Spent my holiday money on Apple products this season because image viewing and editing gear is as important as capturing gear.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I recently bought the PL25 I've been lusting after. That is it for me and actually more than I should have spent. This year I bought a P14 and O45 as well and I try to limit myself to one lens a year. Oh well, I'm relatively new to u4/3 compared to the years I had in Canon so one lens a year made sense then. Hopefully now I have the essentials covered and I can go back to my one lens a year rule. The problem is that most of the lenses I still want that I don't have are pretty pricey. I got the less expensive stuff out of the way first, but to me the P14 and O45 are great lenses, especially at their prices. I even picked up the P14 used which made it even more reasonable.
  15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Whew my last GAS was the PL45, I have to withhold any further GAS attacks for now. I kinda like the idea of having a GM1.
  16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I was able to resist the Adorama open box deal on the Sony RX10, thanks to numerous reviews that pointed out that the zoom-by-wire was frustratingly slow. But if Sony ends up fixing that in firmware, and there cease to be sub $1000 deals on that camera/lens I am sure I will have non-buyer's remorse (which is a side-effect of all of the known treatments for GAS).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I was doing well until a few days before black Friday, my new years resolution was no new stuff without selling something old to fund it. Once the floodgates opened, I had way more stuff than I want to admit heading my way.
  18. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    GAS was on vacation until I sold of a couple of my flashes and purchased a 2nd BCL cause I converted mine into a macro. Then I bought a used x20 and traded my fisheye + Oly75-300 for a OLY75. Then I bought my daughter a EPM2 kit from amazon. You know the one that was on sale for $350. Now I am looking at a OLY 17mm but I heard about the 25mm f1.8 OLY is going to release and think that would be a better fit in my bag.

So now I am waiting for Christmas to see how much Amazon cash I will get and may get some accessories for my gear. I have a little bit in my gear fund. ;).

Trying to hold off but the marketplace is always the first place I go when I log into the forums. Bad bad bad!!!!

Going to try to make 2014 the year I don't buy gear unless the 25mm comes out.
  19. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Wow I am horrible. I just noticed that I have a post on the 1st page writing about selling my x100s for a GX7 for a small carry around camera. Since then I've returned the GX7 and got a GR instead. 2 GAS attacks in such a short time? That's new, even for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    Camera GAS running low due to electronics GAS: Sonos audio, for the kitchen.....and bedroom.....and patio. Though I did defer the last zone (living room) to my birthday. I almost converted my G1 to IR, but decided I have spent enough on camera gear.