1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The same G.A.S. happen every end of year, how is your feel?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Halaking, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I got G.A.S. big time every end of year, those promotions start from Black Friday to X'mas just keep coming..., so far I didn't buy anything yet, but checking deals few times a day and afraid miss big deal that I always want is kind of silly, at the end, there isn't any fun at all. I'm wishing get well soon!

Please share your G.A.S.:biggrin:

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I seem to have GAS all year around but was breaking' wind especially hard this past week: bought an EOS 6D, EF 40 2.8 pancake and Tascam DR-40 (audio recorder). Not that I'm neglecting my M43 gear as since October I managed to score an Oly 45 1.8, Sigma 60 2.8 and Lumix 45-150. I think I'll rest now, at least until January...

• Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been pretty good all year. One big purchase funded when I sold a car and pretty much that's it. Lately I've been lusting for a Leica Monochrom. Somewhere back there is a Sony A7 that's screaming at me too. I've also been searching for a cheap E-PL1 as well but no more than $100USD (I came close.... $110USD via an Ebay counter offer but the fellow took down the item before I can respond with a purchase)

• Like Like x 1
  4. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Picked up a x100s to add as a smaller, carry around body to my E-M1 with 12-40 zoom. Ended up selling it and picking up a GX7 with 20 1.7 instead.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'm being really, really good - I've put the 20mm on my E-M5 and am pursing the "one body, one lens" style.

That being said the Fuji X20 is a hundred bucks off right now with a free 16gb card at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910169-REG/fujifilm_finepix_x20_digital_camera.html

and I've considered one as a "walk about" rig.

I can't pretend it would be to "improve my photography"; it wouldn't. And, to be honest, I don't "walk about" all that much. So the deal will most likely pass me by.

And I have several lenses in my Amazon wish list - but the only one that would actually improve my arsenal is the 100-300mm. A terrific lens to take to the local zoo - but this year I only went to the zoo one time. Traditionally I've spent a fair number of days at the zoo taking photos but those days may be over - thus negating the need for the 100-300mm lens.

So G.A.S. is minimal for me right now :2thumbs:.

And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :biggrin:.

Interesting to see what others are getting, tho.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Great! nice outcome.

The Sony RX10 is selling @adorama for $937, compare $1,250-1,300 everywhere, the 24-200mm 2.8 my heart is pumping.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    RX10
    Lens equiv 28-200mm
    Sensor 13mm x 9mm
    Weight 813g
    LxWxH 1160 cc
    $ 1,300

G5 with 14-140 OIS

Lens equiv 28-280mm
    Sensor 17mm x 13mm
    Weight 400 + 265 = 665g
    LxWxH 1330 cc
    $ 350 + 700 = $ 1,050

Even at $940 for RX10 the G5 compares very well!

• Like Like x 1
  8. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    juro
    In the last two months is really bad. Gave in and ordered an EM-1 and snowballed from there with legacy glass, then film bodies, even an ETRsi.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    My G.A.S. for camera stuff has been low the last six months, other than an FL-14 & FL-300R refurbished flashes. I think 300R is going up on ebay as haven't used off camera much & too tall looking on camera. The 25mm f1.4 spell was declined because I like more dof, not less. Having gone thru G.A.S. with my former Minolta & Sony stuff, no 10 lenses & only use 3 in a year kind of thing with m4/3. E-M5, 14-42 & 45-175, FL-14, 46mm close-up filters is enough.

10. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    That's a good comparison but there's two things you didn't mention that are big pluses for the Sony:

Constant 2.8 aperture
    Weather sealing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My E-P5 purchase earlier this year put me over budget into early 2014, so no money for GAS this year.

• Like Like x 2
  12. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had a GAS for a new compact, m4/3 body like the GX1, or E-PM2(well any newer sensored m4/3 camera), but I bought an underwater housing for the GF3 over the summer so it makes a newer camera purchase harder.

13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Spent my holiday money on Apple products this season because image viewing and editing gear is as important as capturing gear.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I recently bought the PL25 I've been lusting after. That is it for me and actually more than I should have spent. This year I bought a P14 and O45 as well and I try to limit myself to one lens a year. Oh well, I'm relatively new to u4/3 compared to the years I had in Canon so one lens a year made sense then. Hopefully now I have the essentials covered and I can go back to my one lens a year rule. The problem is that most of the lenses I still want that I don't have are pretty pricey. I got the less expensive stuff out of the way first, but to me the P14 and O45 are great lenses, especially at their prices. I even picked up the P14 used which made it even more reasonable.

15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Whew my last GAS was the PL45, I have to withhold any further GAS attacks for now. I kinda like the idea of having a GM1.

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I was able to resist the Adorama open box deal on the Sony RX10, thanks to numerous reviews that pointed out that the zoom-by-wire was frustratingly slow. But if Sony ends up fixing that in firmware, and there cease to be sub $1000 deals on that camera/lens I am sure I will have non-buyer's remorse (which is a side-effect of all of the known treatments for GAS).

• Like Like x 1
  17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I was doing well until a few days before black Friday, my new years resolution was no new stuff without selling something old to fund it. Once the floodgates opened, I had way more stuff than I want to admit heading my way.

18. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    GAS was on vacation until I sold of a couple of my flashes and purchased a 2nd BCL cause I converted mine into a macro. Then I bought a used x20 and traded my fisheye + Oly75-300 for a OLY75. Then I bought my daughter a EPM2 kit from amazon. You know the one that was on sale for $350. Now I am looking at a OLY 17mm but I heard about the 25mm f1.8 OLY is going to release and think that would be a better fit in my bag.

So now I am waiting for Christmas to see how much Amazon cash I will get and may get some accessories for my gear. I have a little bit in my gear fund. ;).

Trying to hold off but the marketplace is always the first place I go when I log into the forums. Bad bad bad!!!!

Going to try to make 2014 the year I don't buy gear unless the 25mm comes out.

19. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Wow I am horrible. I just noticed that I have a post on the 1st page writing about selling my x100s for a GX7 for a small carry around camera. Since then I've returned the GX7 and got a GR instead. 2 GAS attacks in such a short time? That's new, even for me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    Camera GAS running low due to electronics GAS: Sonos audio, for the kitchen.....and bedroom.....and patio. Though I did defer the last zone (living room) to my birthday. I almost converted my G1 to IR, but decided I have spent enough on camera gear.