The rest of us with our 'old' cameras

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TNcasual, Jan 4, 2017.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    We have cameras capable of thousands of frames per second, or super 500,000k video and on and on and on...

Here I am (and many others) plugging away with 3,4,5 year old cameras, not being able to fully utilize all the features they offer. In many cases getting darn impressive results.

I'm not saying new models and features aren't great. They are. But some of us are happy with whatever we have, and that's fine, too.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 11
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    All sorts of cutting comments come to mind but the reality is that the essence is that even older cameras will provide great photos and often it's a good thing to be happy with the camera in hand..........
    Just mine shots at 60fps :). And I'm sure that in 3 yrs I might well master 10% of it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Of all the great (in my standard of course) photos I produced, perhaps 90% were due to the fact that I got the basics right, with every MFT camera I've owned I could've been able to reproduce just because everything else than the camera was right, and the camera was simply "hired" to do the job, a better camera makes it easier for me but if I can't get the shooting conditions right then no camera can do it for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I have a gh5 on my to-buy list but I can still get excellent shots with my G7.

• Like Like x 1
  5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I still love my Em5. I wish i still had my old Pentax K10D dslr.

The camera has very little to do with it most of the time, beyond perhaps encouraging you to get out and use it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. How did I ever manage with film - no WB adjustments, fixed ISO for 36 shots, no instant review. Yet most of my enlargements for my walls are still from the film era! It's a fact, most features will make capturing images easier, but better results are up to the nut behind the screen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    David
    Well, I'm still happily plugging away with my "ancient" E-M10, the somewhat maligned G6(got good deals on both, at the time) and some very nice lenses.

I have no plans to add any cameras, or lenses, anytime soon. I do, however, plan on adding to my skills.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I get tempted to "upgrade" my "ancient" EM5 from time to time.

But then I see the results I am still getting with it and the urge passes.

For me lenses are more important. That 12-100 is so tempting for travel and hiking.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Fully agree on the lens thing - and on the 12-100mm, even though I probably won't get one ... for now.

As for bodies and tech: I haven't used even a sizeable fraction of what my E-M10 would be capable of - so there's no reason why I should want anything more sophisticated or "modern". The GX80 satisfied my wish for an RF style body and is an even more compact travel companion. But in terms of IQ, the E-M10 is right there. If you really want visibly better IQ, you'd have to switch systems (I use Nikon gear as well - and it has its advantages and disadvantages as well; no goldilocks anywhere) - but you'll get better *images* if you keep shooting and improving your technique and style. :mu43: is more than capable of delivering usable files - the rest is up to you.

M.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I've got my M5 mk I and P5, as long as I don't have a urge to only use them to take photos of testcharts they do just fine.

Next body will probably be a M5 III if the specs follows previous upgrades, like a M1 mk II on diet, but I'm gonna wait until prices dropped enough (about the time when mk IV gets announced).

11. Yep, I was happy a a swine in the proverbial with my Olympus C-8080 and blown away by my LUMIX GF1... Now shooting with an E-M1 etc it's just cream on top of cream... :dance3:

12. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    We strongly disagree.
    The first good picture ever taken in history was taken in year 2016.
    Everything before that was just rubbish.
    Buy a new camera today.

Yours sincerely, all the camera manufacturers. ;)

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    From time to time I wonder what results would I get from the gf3 if I still own it with the skills I have now rather than then.

14. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I have a Dynax 9 with the 24mm-85mm zoom and R/angle grip which I bought pretty soon after it first appeared in the UK; what a wonderful beast to use this is! Built like a tank with a stainless steel body, ultra-bright viewfinder, ergonomically superb and though the AF wasn't the fastest around at that time, but always really accurate, didn't 'Jitter' and I never experienced a miss focussed shot. Whenever I want to use film, this is what I use, even though the kit listed above, weighs in at 1.9Kg!

Dynax_9.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  15. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

Well, my Nikon F3 was not too bad with its 8 fps :)
    The only thing that held it back was a 36 exposure film :hmmm:
    No worries about AF speed because there was none. No problems with accidental focus on the background instead of on the subject either.
    But if I compare the results to those of my humble e-m10 (also 8 fps) I never look back!
    The e-m10 finally gave me the same feel as taking a picture with the F3 after my switch to digital cameras (Olympus C-8080 => E-420 => Pana GF6 => E-M10).
    Don't know how to explain it. Not just a technical press of a button to take a picture but the feeling that you release the shutter to capture a moment and just know its right at the same moment.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, yea, yea - but we're consumers and consumption is what drives innovation. If you'd have asked most OM1 users in 1972 whether a newer camera could possibly deliver better results then you'd have got similar answers to those here; and if that behaviour really was adopted by most consumers we'd probably never have developed digital sensors. Ignoring environmental and sustainability issues, it's actually essential that the majority of the market DO buy the new gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    ... but if your thing is to photograph BIF or shoot sports then maybe it isn't such a wise decision to still use a box brownie ... sometimes it isn't a bad thing to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Like I said in the OP, there is nothing wrong the new cameras, needing their features or simply wanting to be the newest and best.

Just, for me, I don't fully use what my 'old' cameras can do and their results are just as valid to me as someone who wishes to use a new camera.

We all just like making and sharing images, that's what matters.

• Like Like x 2
  19. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    I love the results from my E-PM2 - but I think there might be an upgrade in my future - just to have a knob or two for easier settings. Dealing with the SCP can be cumbersome...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Yep, I still love my EP5, and the "on the edge of getting old" Gx8's are still amazing me every day. Will I buy the Gx9 (I love the form of the Gx8), it depends on what video upgrades it gets. But if I were younger and didn't have disposable income earmarked for photography stuff, I could live with my EP5 for a long time, and the Gx8's even longer. Almost any camera today (and 4 or 5 years old) is capable of producing better technical images than those used by "the great photographers" of the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. Look at the "your best photo of 2016" thread - the stuff is great.

• Agree Agree x 2