The Real Street Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Street colour

GH1 + 14-140mm f4-5.8

Hi Nic,

I Like it. I also like that you come back to color when it suits you. Your sort of a bi-polar street shooter...

Firstly- Nicely thought out Alan ... Secondly- nope not Silicon Valley (I thought of that also) because they're smoking.
G
PS- While the borders are kindly cool and interesting ... I find then too interesting to the point where they are a bit of a distraction.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for recognizing my plan... such as it was.

I've been in a fret over borders and their use lately. I try them without, with, without again... sometimes having too many tools at ones disposal is more of a problem than a solution.

As someone much smarter than me once said " When one knows nothing, all things are possible"

Cheers, Alan

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
In a forum dedicated to photography ... each image should be able to stand and be recognized on its own merit without the need for fancy borders. I like the quote though.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
To border or not to border...

In a forum dedicated to photography ... each image should be able to stand and be recognized on its own merit without the need for fancy borders. I like the quote though.

Hi Gary,

I feel you... but. Some of my favorite images in this thread have borders which I feel provides some separation from the thread / page background.

Some perhaps not so pronounced, I'll agree.

For me though, the border offers a distance from the posting medium, in this case the page we view.

I'm not bordering for sake of bordering... just looking for the correct distance from the medium. Like matting in the good old days..

Cheers, Alan

we may need a thread for this. To Border or Not to Border. That is the question? Why don't you do that right now between sips. I'm working :smile:

SMaturin

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not bordering for sake of bordering... just looking for the correct distance from the medium. Like matting in the good old days..

I like that thought.

Matting and framing can be used artfully to enhance the total effect of a good composition, whether photo, paint, or other medium. But they can never make up for a bad composition, and can be an unhelpful distraction when they are not matched well to the composition.

In this digital medium, we are not framing and hanging our pictures on a blank wall, but we may still need some means of framing them to separate them from the crackle and flash of the web-based interface.

This does deserve a separate thread to spur our thoughts.

-Steve
-also supposed to be working ;-)

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Downtown Providence

Haven't had much opportunity for new street work lately. But, I've been working Downtown the past few days.... Here are a few from today.

All GF1 / 20mm / Aperture 3 / Silver EFX

GoGo Dancers

GoGo_Dancers_B_W.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Need One?

GNew_Image_B_W.jpg

All welcome to ponder alternatives.....

All_Welcom_B_W.jpg

Making Faces at Strangers

Making_Faces_B_W.jpg

Lunch Downtown

Snoooze_B_W.jpg

BrianK

Mu-43 Veteran
East Lansing

5760131373_59ac1389f5_b.jpg

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
5760131373_59ac1389f5_b.jpg

love the tones. the vibe with this one.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Haven't had much opportunity for new street work lately. But, I've been working Downtown the past few days.... Here are a few from today.
Nice shots Alan. I like the tonality and feel of all of them. The last one is my favorite because the guy lying on the bench tells the best story. The Go Go Dancer shot has a story to tell, but the sign isn't quite big enough to catch the eye without looking for it.

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
A couple of hours to kill in Philly yesterday:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5761559352/" title="DSCF0057 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 165662 "1024" height="683" alt="DSCF0057"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5761015017/" title="DSCF0064 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 165663 "1024" height="683" alt="DSCF0064"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5761561776/" title="DSCF0134 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 165664 "1024" height="682" alt="DSCF0134"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5761021525/" title="DSCF0214 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 165665 "1024" height="1024" alt="DSCF0214"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5761023003/" title="DSCF0330 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> View attachment 165666 "1024" height="690" alt="DSCF0330"></a>

More here, if interested:

Philly 5-25-11 - a set on Flickr

-Ray

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
The Amish guy is very nice Ray, and the first shot, and the last shot ... jeeze-louise Ray ... they all good ... the station reminds me of Union Station in Los Angeles.

28694151_HA5Ym-X2-2.jpg

G

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Ray:

Nice series. I particularly enjoy # 2 and #5. I love the wall mural shot, I'm lucky enough to have captured one of those myself. I really really like it, waiting for the correct moment of capture in this case was worth it's weight in gold!

Gary:

Love this shot! Somehow the fedora behind him get me eye in a nice way. Like I can imagine more going on than I can see. Yet, what I can see tells a whole story... Coll.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
The Amish guy is very nice Ray, and the first shot, and the last shot ... jeeze-louise Ray ... they all good ... the station reminds me of Union Station in Los Angeles.
Thanks Gary. Man, I love that shot from Union Station. How long ago did you shoot that? You're not old enough for it to actually have been the '40s or '50s, right?

-Ray

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Nope, early 70's Ray, with my Hasselblad ... maybe a Nikon F ... anyway it was 40 years ago.

G

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Yeesh. I keep forgetting that the early '70s were 40 years ago. Seems much more recent than that. I think of the '70s mostly in terms of how my friends and I looked, but there was a whole world of adults out there who still looked like it could have been the '50s.

-Ray

petach

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ray's "A couple of hours to kill in Philly yesterday"

It is a shame that some of the gill breathing, slack jawed, vacant faced punks in our society cannot spend a few hours being useful, artistic, thoughtful......sentient. Ray, this series is breathtaking! Thanks for sharing your skills as a photographer and process master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom